Charles M. Merkel, III
Top rated medical malpractice attorney in Clarksdale, MississippiMerkel & Cocke, P.A.
Attorney Charles M. Merkel, III, is a member of Merkel & Cocke, P.A., law firm, which has law offices in Clarksdale, Jackson and Oxford, Mississippi. A top-rated and award-winning trial attorney with more than 22 years of legal experience, Mr. Merkel provides exceptional representation and support to clients throughout the Jackson and Clarksdale metros and surrounding areas who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Personal injury and wrongful death claims arising from someone else's negligence or wrongdoing
· Medical malpractice
· Products liability
A native of Clarksdale, Mr. Merkel has deep ties to his community and a genuine concern for the legal issues that affect the residents of his area. As such, he delivers highly personalized counsel to his plaintiff clients to help them make the best-informed decisions as he aggressively pursues the most favorable outcomes possible on their behalf.
A 1995 summa cum laude graduate of the University of Mississippi, where he received the Taylor Medal Award in English, Mr. Merkel returned to his alma mater and obtained his Juris Doctor cum laude from the University of Mississippi School of Law in 1998.
A Chancellor's Scholar in law school, he was also an active participant with the school's moot court team, and he won Best Written Brief Award in 1996. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Merkel has earned a Top 10 Attorney designation from the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys and a Top 100 Trial Lawyers designation from the National Trial Lawyers each year since 2014. He has also received a Lawyers of Distinction rating as well as consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America. He is a member of the Coahoma County Bar Association, the Mississippi Association for Justice and the American Association for Justice, among his other professional affiliations.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
30 Delta Avenue
Clarksdale, MS 38614
Secondary phone: 877-790-0943
2090 Old Taylor Road
Oxford, MS 38655
540 Main Street
ICON Building, Suite 302
Greenville, MS 38702
622 Duling Avenue
Jackson, MS 39216
Practice areasPersonal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Personal injury - products: plaintiff
Medical malpractice, Birth injury, Delayed or incorrect diagnosis, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Wrongful death, Construction accident, Brain injury, Motor vehicle defects, Medical devices, Pharmaceutical
- 40% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 30% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 30% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1998, Mississippi
Professional Webpage: https://www.merkel-cocke.com/attorneys/charles-m-merkel-iii/
- Member of St. George’s Episcopal Church
- Board of North Mississippi Rural Legal Services
- Clarksdale Rotary Club Member 2003-2018
- Former board member of Aspire of North Delta Mississippi
- Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” 2008–13
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, 2020
- Super Lawyers, 2016 – Present
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America--Medical Malpractice, Plaintiff, 2014
- National Trial Lawyers-Top 100, 2016
- Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorney Award, National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, 2018
- Medical Malpractice- Plaintiff, Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America--Medical Malpractice, Plaintiff, 2012
- Best Lawyers in America--Medical Malpractice, Plaintiff, 2015
- National Trial Lawyers-Top 100, 2017
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, 2018
- Medical Malpractice- Plaintiff, Best Lawyers in America, 2018
- Top 10% in the USA, Lawyers of Distinction, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America--Medical Malpractice, Plaintiff, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America--Medical Malpractice, Plaintiff, 2016
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2015
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Mississippi Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Coahoma County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 1998
- Former member of the Board of Governors of Mississippi Association For Justice, formerly Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association.
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1998
- Mississippi, 1998
- North Mississippi Rural Legal Services--Board of Directors 2013-2019 and 2015-16 Chairman of Fundraising Committee
- University of Mississippi, B.A., summa cum laude, Taylor Medal Award Winner: English, 1995
- Mr. Merkel, a former judicial law clerk for United States District Judge Henry Wingate, has lectured on federal procedure.
- Individuals injured by medical malpractice, including: failure to diagnose cancer, failure to diagnose appendicitis, failure to diagnose pulmonary embolism, failure to diagnose vascular injury, failure to diagnose neurological injury, stroke caused by chiropractic manipulation, etc. Individuals injured by product defects, including: medical devices, pharmaceuticals, control valves, hunting tree stands, agricultural products, etc. Individuals injured by auto/truck accidents, dangerous premises, farm equipment, etc.
- Abraham v. South Group Insurance and Financial Services, LLC--jury verdict for plaintiffs in failure to procure insurance case resulting from losses to plaintiffs following Hurricane Katrina; numerous six and seven figure settlements in medical malpractice and chiropractic malpractice cases; eight figure settlement in construction/personal injury case, 2007
- Blevins v. Holzhauer, Lowndes County Circuit Court, August 2018, $2.4 million verdict for Plaintiff, 2018
- Top 40 Under 40 award from National Trial Lawyers, 2012
Office location for Charles M. Merkel, III
30 Delta Avenue
Clarksdale, MS 38614
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2008 - 2013
Find me online
- Farming is one of the toughest—and dangerous—jobs in the United States. Working on a farm requires long hours, lots… https://t.co/HMqLfnyQSE
- New Injection Could Help Heal #SpinalCordInjuries https://t.co/FDDhTorqhk
- Anti-#DrunkDriving Technology May Be Here Sooner Than We Think https://t.co/StL0xh9PUn