Cynthia I. Mitchell
Top rated medical malpractice attorney in Clarksdale, MississippiMerkel & Cocke, P.A.
Cynthia I. Mitchell is of counsel at Merkel & Cocke, P.A., in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Ms. Mitchell works with commercial litigation and personal injury cases involving medical malpractice, product liability and other issues. She represents clients in Clarksdale and the Jackson, Mississippi, area.
Ms. Mitchell graduated magna cum laude from Indiana University with a bachelor’s degree. She went on to graduate cum laude with a law degree from Harvard Law School. She holds licenses to practice law before all Mississippi state courts, as well as federal courts in Mississippi, Arkansas and Tennessee, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Active in her legal community, Ms. Mitchell belongs to the Coahoma County Bar Association, the Mississippi Bar and the American Association for Justice. She is active in the Mississippi Association for Justice, and over the years has served as the organization’s president, vice president, treasurer, secretary and parliamentarian, as well as on its amicus committee.
Additionally, Ms. Mitchell is a fellow of the Mississippi Bar Foundation and the Mississippi Supreme Court Rules Committee. She is AV Preeminent* peer review rated through Martindale-Hubbell, reflecting her high ethical standards and legal capability.
Committed to pro bono work, Ms. Mitchell is a former president and board member of the Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project. She serves her local community as a member of the Coahoma Community College Board of Trustees and sitting on the board of directors for the Clarksdale Animal Rescue Effort & Shelter. In recognition of her efforts, the Mississippi Bar honored her with its Lawyer Citizenship Award in 2012.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
30 Delta Avenue
Clarksdale, MS 38614
Secondary phone: 877-790-0943
2090 Old Taylor Road
Oxford, MS 38655
540 Main Street
ICON Building, Suite 302
Greenville, MS 38702
622 Duling Avenue
Jackson, MS 39216
Practice areasPersonal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Appellate, Civil litigation: defense, Civil litigation: plaintiff, General litigation
First Admitted: 1982, Mississippi
Professional Webpage: https://www.merkel-cocke.com/attorneys/cynthia-i-mitchell/
- Darby v. U.S., 878 F.Supp.2d 692 (N.D.Miss 2012)Burnwatt v. ENT Consultants NM, PLLC, 47 So.3d 109 (Miss. 2010)Nowlin v. Lafayette County, Miss. 2010 WL 4022762, 3:10CV45 (N.D.Miss. October13, 2010)Webster v. USAA Cas. Ins. Co., 2007 WL 2127594, No. 1:05CV715 (S.D.Miss. July23, 2007)Luckey v. Scruggs, 2005 WL 5976554, 1:05CV89 (N.D.Miss. May 26, 2005)Wilson v. Scruggs, 371 F.Supp.2d 837 (S.D.Miss 2005)Vaughn v. Monticello Ins. Co., 838 So.2d 983 (Miss. App. 2001)Tatum v. Legg Mason Wood Walker, Inc., 83 F.3d 121, Blue Sky L. Rep. P 74,094, Comm. Fut. L. Rep. P 26,693 (5th Cir. 1996)City of Clarksdale v. Briarwood, Inc., 675 So.2d 1252 (Miss. App. 1995)Tatum v. Smith, 887 F.Supp. 918, Comm. Fut. L. Rep. P 26,474 (N.D.Miss.1995)Williams v. Chism, 164 B.R. 735 (N.D.Miss. 1994)Roberson v. Farm Credit Bank of Texas, 818 F.Supp. 933 (N.D.Miss. 1993)Drake v. Miller, 606 So.2d 611 (Miss. 1992)Senatobia Community Hosp. v. Orr, 607 So.2d 1224 (Miss. 1992)Scott v. Ball, 595 So.2d 848 (Miss. 1992)Long Term Care, Inc. v. Jesco, Inc., 560 So.2d 717 (Miss. 1990)Bernhardt By and Through Bernhardt v. Richardson-Merrell, Inc., 892 F.2d 440 (5th Cir. 1990)Robinson v. Bump, 894 F.2d 758 1990 (5th Cir. 1990)Wickline v. U.S. Fidelity & Guar. Co., 530 So.2d 708 (Miss. 1988)Blalock v. U.S., 695 F.Supp. 874, 62 A.F.T.R.2d 88-5803, 88-2 USTC P 9495 (N.D.Miss.1988)Sacco v. Gordon, 515 So.2d 906 (Miss. 1987)Mississippi Farm Bureau Mut. Ins. Co. v. Garrett, 487 So.2d 1320 (Miss. 1986)Burdette v. Crump, 472 So.2d 959 (Miss. 1985)Walters v. Walters, 469 So.2d 1260 (Miss. 1985)Howard v. Young, 450 So.2d 90 (Miss. 1984)
- A.B., magna cum laude, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 1978
- Qualified for and completed Boston Marathon, 2003, 2004
- Mississippi State Bar Association Professionalism Committee, 2006-present Committee on Minorities in the Profession, 1995
- American Association for Justice (Member 1985 - present) Mississippi State Delegate, 2009-present
- Mississippi Association for Justice Executive Committee, 2007-08, 2009-present Board of Governors, 1988-90, 1995-97, 2006-present Chair, Amicus Committee, 2006-present Chair, Women's Caucus, 2008-09 Legislative Committee, 1988-99, Co-Chair, 2004-05
- Board of Directors, Jonestown Family Center, 2008
- Clarksdale Coahoma County Chamber of Commerce Race Director, Delta Jubilee 5k Run, 1994
- Board of Trustees, Coahoma Community College, 2008
- Clarksdale Noon Lions Club President 2005-06 Vice President, 2003-04, 2004-05
- Member, Mississippi Volunteer Lawyer Project, 1982
- Clarksdale Downtown Development Association Race Director, Juke Joint Festival 5k, 2006
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2017, 2020 - 2022