James D. Shannon
Top rated personal injury attorney in Hazlehurst, MississippiShannon Law Firm, PLLC
James D. Shannon, founder of Shannon Law Firm, PLLC, is a trial lawyer representing clients throughout Mississippi from his office in Hazlehurst. Most of his cases involve litigation of personal injury cases resulting from torts, but he also devotes some of his time to family law and criminal defense matters.
After earning a Bachelor of Arts in 1969 and a Master of Arts in 1974 from Mississippi College, Mr. Shannon earned his Juris Doctor in 1977 from the University of Mississippi School of Law. He was admitted to the Mississippi Bar that same year and is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi. Other than Mississippi, Mr. Shannon has participated in cases in Venezuela and the Virgin Islands as well as in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Michigan, New York, Minnesota and Florida.
Since 1999, Mr. Shannon has been the counsel for the plaintiff in five cases receiving jury awards in excess of $1 million, allowing him to join the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Two of his cases in 2001 appeared on The National Law Journal's list of "largest verdicts." A recipient of a variety of honors and awards, Mr. Shannon is ranked AV Preeminent* by Martindale-Hubbell.
Between earning his B.A. and M.A., Mr. Shannon served in Vietnam as a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. He is an active participant in the American Bar Association, the Mississippi Association for Justice and the American Association for Justice, and has also spoken at conferences and tort litigation seminars. Mr. Shannon currently serves as legal counsel for the Copiah County Medical Center.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff
- 100% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1977, Mississippi
Professional Webpage: http://www.shannonlawfirm.com/Attorneys/James-D-Shannon.shtm...
- Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association
- Mississippi, 1977
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Mississippi Bar
- American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- American Association for Justice
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Mississippi
- Trial Work On The First Jury Verdict Involving the Drug Propulsid, National Publication For Legal Professionals
- AV Rated Attorney, the Highest possible Rating, Ethical Standards and Legal Ability by Martindale-Hubbell
- America's Top 10 Lawyers, Weekly USA, 2001
- Million Dollar Advocate, 1999 - 2013
- One Who "Stood Out From the Crowd" Among the Country's Million Lawyers Who Make a Difference
- The National Law Journal, "Largest Verdicts" Ranked Tenth in the Country in Trial Verdicts, 2001
- "Obtaining the Best Settlement for Personal Injury Clients", NBI, Inc., 2008
- Speaker, "Maximizing the Claim", The University of Mississippi, 2008
- Speaker, National Tort Litigation Seminars
- Speaker, Fall Conference for the Court Administrators, Presentation to court administrators regarding discovery issues, 2007
- Mississippi College, Clinton, Mississippi, B.A., 1969
- Mississippi College, Clinton, Mississippi, M.A., 1974
Office location for James D. Shannon
100 West Gallatin Street
Hazlehurst, MS 39083
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022