John F. Hawkins
Top rated personal injury attorney in Jackson, MississippiHawkins Law, P.C.
Practice Areas: Personal injury, Health care, Medical malpractice; view more
Licensed in Mississippi since: 1993
Education: Tulane University Law School
Hawkins Law, P.C.226 North President St.
Jackson, MS 39201 Visit website
John F. Hawkins is the principal of the Mississippi-based firm, Hawkins Law, P.C., in Jackson and extends his service throughout the states of Georgia and Mississippi. He focuses his practice on personal injury, business litigation, and employment litigation and handles legal issues involving the following:
Motor vehicle accidents
Nursing home abuse and negligence
Practicing law for almost three decades, Mr. Hawkins represents his clients and has tried multiple cases in various courtrooms throughout the state and nation, including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th and the 11th Circuits, the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Mississippi, and the Supreme Court of the United States. He has played an instrumental part in securing millions of dollars in compensation for his clients in several cases.
Mr. Hawkins is an alumnus of Millsaps College in Mississippi and earned his bachelor’s degree in Philosophy in 1990. Later, he graduated cum laude from the Tulane University Law School and received his doctorate in jurisprudence in 1993.
A diligent attorney, Mr. Hawkins’ attention to detail helps him understand the critical issues at a deeper level. He makes sure to offer his utmost support and time to each of his clients. With a good understanding of the judicial system, he strives to represent them zealously and secure them justice. He understands how anxious his clients may feel at times and stands by them and keeps them updated throughout the process.
Mr. Hawkins is peer-rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale Hubbell along with several positive reviews from his peers. He is rated “Good” on Avvo.
Previously, Mr. Hawkins served as the president of the Mississippi Association for Justice for a year and was a member of The Mississippi Bar Committee on Professional Responsibility. At present, he is a member of the American Association for Justice and the Mississippi Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Health care, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Business litigation, Employment litigation: plaintiff, Personal injury - products: plaintiff
Animal bites, Assault, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Dram shop laws, Construction accident, Brain injury, Sexual abuse - plaintiff, Toxic mold, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff, Nursing home, Dental malpractice, Medical malpractice, Birth injury, Delayed or incorrect diagnosis, Informed consent, Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, Motor vehicle defects, Medical devices
- 30% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 20% Health care
- 20% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 10% Business litigation
- 10% Employment litigation: plaintiff
- 10% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1993, Mississippi
Professional Webpage: https://www.hgattorneys.com/our-team/john-f-hawkins/
- Adjunct Law Professor, Mississippi College School of Law
- Numerous Continuing Legal Education speaking engagements for the Mississippi Bar Summer School for Lawyers, Mississippi Association for Justice, Capital Area Bar Association, and others
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Jackson v. Morrison 2005 WL 1039 146 (Miss. May 5 2005)
- Adams v. Manhattan – Mississippi Appellate Courts ruled in favor of jury trial rights, finding arbitration clause unenforceable against patient and his family in nursing home case (2022)
- McGowen v. Biloxi Diocese – Mississippi Supreme Court reversal of trial Court’s dismissal of case alleging sex abuse
- Williams v. Dr. Doe– $2.6 million jury verdict in medical malpractice/negligence case causing catastrophic birth injury case (Rankin County Mississippi, 2020)
- Aldridge obo United States v. Cain et al – multi-million jury verdict and $32,000,000 judgment for Medicare Fraud (2020)
- Taylor v. Uhaul – $1 million plus jury verdict for man seriously injured due to negligent maintenance and brake failure
- $5.2 million settlement for 20 victims of sex abuse by Catholic Priests
- Cortez Byrd Chips, Inc. v. Bill Harbert Construction Co., 529 U.S. 193, 120 S.Ct. 1331, 146 C.Ed.2d 171 (2000)
- President of Mississippi Association of Justice MAJ (formerly Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association), 2006-2007
- Fifth Cir. Federal Bar Association
- Speaker and author on numerous topics including Arbitration; Removal and Remand; Bad Faith Insurance Practices; Judicial and Lawyer ethics and professionalism; Nursing Home Negligence; Hurricane Katrina Insurance Litigation; Lawyers and Judges assistance program – health and wellness; Importance and preservation of Jury trials; use of Zoom in litigation and trials
- American Association for Justice (formerly American Trial Lawyers Association)
- Member and newsletter committee Capital Area Bar Association (CABA)
- Lawyers and Judges Assistance Program, 2021–present
- Chair of the Labor and Employment Law Section, 2011-2012
- Mississippi Bar Committee on Professional Responsibility, 2009-2011
- Charles Clark Inns of Court, 2000
- Member of the Mississippi Chapter for ABOTA (American Board of Trial Advocates), 2022
- Elected as a Bar Commissioner for the Mississippi Bar Association
- Fellow of the Mississippi Bar Foundation
- Millsaps College, B.A. - 1990
Office location for John F. Hawkins
226 North President St.
Jackson, MS 39201
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2016, 2020 - 2022