Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Jackson, MS
Philip Thomas is an attorney at Morgan & Morgan in Jackson, Mississippi. Mr. Thomas works with business litigation, personal injury and professional liability matters, serving clients throughout the Jackson area.
Mr. Thomas has over 25 years of legal experience, much of it in courtroom litigation. In addition to his trial skills, he uses alternative dispute resolution methods such as arbitration and mediation when negotiating legal disputes. He is board-certified as a civil trial attorney by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and regularly participates in complex civil litigation.
Over his career, Mr. Thomas has recovered significant amounts in settlements and verdicts for his clients. In honor of his accomplishments, Martindale-Hubbell awarded him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating. This is the highest available rating from the organization, given to attorneys demonstrating high legal capability and ethical standards. The Mississippi Bar and the Jackson Young Lawyers Association have also presented him with awards.
Raised in Gulfport, Mississippi, Mr. Thomas earned a bachelor’s degree from Louisiana State University. He went on to graduate from the University of Mississippi School of Law. He is qualified to practice law before all Mississippi state courts.
Mr. Thomas began his legal career practicing at two Jackson-based law firms. At one of these firms, he began as an associate and eventually worked his way up to partner. He also practiced as a solo attorney before joining Morgan & Morgan. Outside of his law practice, he engages in pro bono work. He volunteers with the Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project and the Mission First Legal Aid Office.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 100%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2021
Certificates and Credentials
About Philip Thomas
First Admitted: 1983
Professional Webpage: https://www.forthepeople.com/attorneys/philip-thomas/
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Avvo Rating 10
- Award from the Mississippi Bar Association as the volunteer lawyer of the year for the State of Mississippi., President's Award Volunteer Lawyer of the Year, Mississippi Bar, 2001
- Pro Bono award from Jackson Young Lawyer's Association., Pro Bono Award, Jackson Young Lawyer's Assoc., 2003
Pro bono/Community Service
- Mission First Legal Aid Office
- Mississippi Volunteer Lawyer's Project
- B.A.- Louisiana State University, 1989
- Mississippi Bar., 1993
- Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2010
- $930,000 settlement - 18-wheeler auto accident, 2015
- $700,000 settlement in premises liability wrongful death case against owner of apartment complex., 2010
- $6.5 million verdict in breach of trust case, 2017
- $300,000 settlement in case against large insurance company for bad faith refusal to pay claim for property damage at hotel., 2006
- $1.8 Million Jury Verdict for Victim of Unnecessary Brain Surgery, 2004
- $750,000 Settlement for Victim of Nursing Home Abuse, 2007
- Defense Verdict in Vanishing Premium Life Insurance Fraud Trial in Jasper County., 2002
- $9.9 million settlement for claims against drug manufacturer for deceptive marketing of prescription drug., 2010
- $105,000 jury verdict in federal court for driver of automobile rear-ended by 18-wheeler., 2009
- $500,000 settlement in legal malpractice case against large plaintiff personal injury firm., 2011
- $1.9 Million Jury Verdict for Victim of Nursing Home Neglect, 2005
- $800,000 Jury Verdict for Victim Who was Misdiagnosed with Cancer and Underwent Radiation Treatments to Brain, 2007
- $700,000 Settlement for Victims of Legal Malpractice, 2008
- Defense Verdict in Vanishing Premium Life Insurance Fraud Trial in Union County., 2006
- Numerous six figure settlements representing families in cases asserting claims against nursing homes for abuse and neglect of loved ones; 2006-2010.
- $1,050,000 settlement in legal malpractice case against large defense firm., 2011
- Over $900,000 Settlement for Family of Bicyclist Killed by Motorist, 2009
- $450,000 Settlement for Elderly Victim of Ponzi Investment Fraud Scheme, 2006
- Defense Verdict in Vanishing Premium Life Insurance Fraud Trial in Hinds County., 2008
- Law journal article examining Unum's disability claims handling., author, Fifteen Years Later - Did Unum Group Improve its ERISA Claims Handling Practices?, Mississippi College Law Review , Legal, 2021
- Alicia Smith, Derrick Connell, Rick Block, @MattMorganESQ & Max Karric just won a $7,167,345.00 verdict for their… https://t.co/lIEn73nuvJ
- Attorneys Jonathan Rabinowitz, Luke Mitcheson & Garrett Lee joined our friends from the Massachusetts AFL-CIO for G… https://t.co/1rM5rbDkz6
- #VerdictAlert! Mike Smith, Raissa Booze and Chris Hinckley just received a $921,172.05 verdict for their client in… https://t.co/4hep6lUPJ2
- Hard work always pays off 💪 #MondayMotivation https://t.co/ThHBgr2fo4
- @orlandoribbons @JohnMorganESQ Thank you for doing this for the Orlando community! Our employees will… https://t.co/POuuJEXJtY
Last Updated: 5/15/2022