Shanda M. Yates
Top rated personal injury attorney in Jackson, MississippiBurns & Associates, PLLC
Shanda M. Yates is an attorney with Burns & Associates, PLLC, who handles premises liability litigation for clients in Mississippi. Her practice also includes offshore and maritime accidents, car and truck wrecks, premises liability claims such as negligent security or slip-and-fall accidents, and workers’ compensation claims. For over five years, she has been named as a Leader in Law by the Mississippi Business Journal and a Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney Under 40 by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys.
With over a decade of experience, Ms. Yates is admitted to practice in Mississippi and before the United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi. A published author, she has also taught classes for the National Business Institute and a joint seminar for the Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association.
An honors graduate of The University of Southern Mississippi, Ms. Yates has a Bachelor of Arts in English earned in 2003. In 2007 she graduated cum laude as a dean’s list scholar from Mississippi College School of Law with a Juris Doctor. She was also a comment and case note editor of the Law Review for the Mississippi College School of Law during her time in school.
For her high ethical standards and long list of successful results, she holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. In both federal and states courts, Ms. Yates is well-versed in removal jurisdiction and federal practice and procedure.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff
- 100% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 2007, Mississippi
Professional Webpage: https://www.burnsandassociateslaw.com/Attorneys/Shanda-M-Yat...
- Top 10 Personal Injury Attorneys Under 40 (NAOPIA), 2014 - Present
- Mississippi Business Journal "Leader in Law", 2014 - Present
- Mid South Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2009 - 2012
- Mid South Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014 - Present
- Dean's List Scholar, Mississippi College School of Law, 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated attorney
- American Jurisprudence Awards: Pre-Trial Practice and Advanced Torts, Mississippi College School of Law, 2007
- Cum laude, Mississippi College School of Law, 2007
- Case Note/Comment Editor, Mississippi College School of Law Review, Mississippi College School of Law
- Maintaining a Safe Premises, The Mississippi Hospitality and Restaurant Association Newsletter, Spring, 2012
- Request No. 1: Admit That You Are Not Seeking Damages in Excess of $75,000. Response: I'm Not Gonna and You Can't Make Me. Determining Whether the Amount in Controversy Requirement is Satisfied Based on Plaintiffs' Responses (or Lack Thereof) to Requests for Admission, The MDLA Quarterly, Vol. 32, No.2, 2008
- Premises Liability: Recent Cases and Trends Mississippi Claims Association/ Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association Joint Seminar, 2011
- Litigating Slip, Trip & Fall Cases in Mississippi, National Business Institute - June, 2013
- Representing Your Client in Federal Court, National Business Institute - June, 2014
- University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, B.A., English, With Honors, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2007
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 2007
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi, 2007
- Mississippi, 2007
Office location for Shanda M. Yates
629 North Jefferson Street
Jackson, MS 39202
- Super Lawyers: 2022
- Rising Stars: 2009 - 2012, 2014 - 2021