Top Rated Appellate Attorney in Kansas City, MO
Jonathan Laurans has 30 years of vast experience defending individuals and corporate clients in criminal cases and representing them in civil matters in Missouri and Kansas, and around the country. Mr. Laurans concentrates his practice on criminal and civil appeals, and pursuing post-conviction relief for the wrongfully convicted, or excessively sentenced. He also litigates a wide variety of disputes in state and federal trial courts throughout the region, including defense of banking and lending institutions in various civil cases and regulatory matters.
Mr. Laurans has won appeals in the Kansas Supreme Court, the Missouri Court of Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit. He has won numerous habeas corpus and post-conviction petitions, including the release from prison of the former lieutenant governor of Kansas. In the past two-and-a-half years alone, Mr. Laurans won 6 appeals and post-conviction cases. Between 2010 and 2016, Mr. Laurans successfully advocated three other habeas corpus petitions, two of which set aside lengthy sentences both in excess of 25 years, as well as an appeal overturning an obstruction-of-justice conviction. He also convinced a federal judge to overturn a faulty mortgage fraud conviction within only weeks of the jury's verdict, avoiding the client a costly and lengthy appeal. And in another case, he successfully lobbied for the setting aside of a $16.9 million dollar criminal forfeiture for two different clients, co-defendants in the same case.
Mr. Laurans has been called upon to share his expertise as a speaker and writer at continuing legal education programs for the bar.
Please visit his website at www.kansascitymoattorney.com
Please visit www.AZpostconviction.com as well.
Your choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be made based upon an advertisement. The information contained on this website is necessarily of a general nature, only for informational purposes.
About Jonathan Laurans
First Admitted: 1992
Professional Webpage: https://jonathanlaurans.com
- Member, NACDL (National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers); Arizona Bar; Texas Bar; Missouri Bar; Kansas Bar; Federal Bar; KACDL (Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers)
- JD, Cum Laude, Washburn University School of Law, 1992; MPA, Midwestern State University, 1989; BA, Political Phiolosophy, University of Dallas, 1987
- Licensed in Missouri, Kansas, Arizona and Texas, as well as numerous federal district and appellate courts throughout the country.
- Missouri Criminal Practice, Third Edition, Volume I, Chapter 1: "Arrest", Author, The Missouri Bar
- AV Rating (2005-2021), Martindale-Hubbell, 2005
- In this series of videos, I offer information about what to consider when looking to hire competent counsel, and I also explain some basics about criminal defense and appellate practice., Tips for Hiring an Attorney, 2014
Last Updated: 5/15/2022