Christopher R. Carroll
Top rated intellectual property attorney in St. Louis, MissouriSmall Patent Law Group LLC
Practice Areas: Intellectual property; view more
Licensed in Missouri since: 2007
Education: University of Illinois College of Law
Small Patent Law Group LLC1423 Strassner Dr
St. Louis, MO 63144 Visit website
For nearly two decades, attorney Christopher R. Carroll has been providing the highest quality patent and intellectual property (IP) legal services to clients ranging from individuals and small businesses to established companies. As a shareholder at the St. Louis, Missouri, law firm of The Small Patent Law Group, LLC, he serves clients across the country.
Mr. Carroll is aware of the peace of mind that comes with having everything planned appropriately and efficiently. He custom-tailors strategies to clients in matters involving patent applications and preparation as well as IP-based dealings, transactions, portfolio and license management. He offers services relating to a wide variety of technologies, including biotechnology, software, aerospace, wireless networking, surgical devices and more.
Concentrating on materials science and engineering, Mr. Carroll graduated with his Bachelor of Arts with honors in 2000 from the Grainger College of Engineering at the University of Illinois. While there, he was placed on the dean’s list and recognized as Senior 100 Honorary as well as Knight of St. Patrick, a prestigious award offered for exceptional contribution and character.
Later in 2003, Mr. Carroll received his J.D. cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law. During law school, he contributed several legal articles as the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Law, Technology and Policy, and was a recipient of the Rickert Award for Outstanding Legal Publication. He also presented an amicus curiae brief before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Admitted to practice in Illinois since 2003, Mr. Carroll is also licensed to appear before all the state courts of Missouri, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Mr. Carroll’s knowledge and experience in the field have compelled many educational institutions and legal organizations to request him as a presenter at CLE seminars and conferences. He has also volunteered to offer pro bono patent drafting services to those who cannot afford them. Furthermore, he serves as a youth basketball and softball coach.
In honor of his achievements, Mr. Carroll was recognized among the Best Intellectual Property Attorneys by the St. Louis Small Business Monthly in 2020.
Practice areasIntellectual property
- 100% Intellectual property
First Admitted: 2003, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.splglaw.com/intellectual-property-attorneys/
- Youth softball coach
- Board Member, Edwardsville Children’s Museum
- Youth basketball coach
- Youth baseball coach
- Pro bono patent drafting and counseling for various pro bono clients.
- Board Member, University of Illinois College of Law Alumni Board
- SuperLawyers Rising Star, SuperLawyers Rising Star, SuperLawyers
- Fortune 500 Go-To Law Firm® of the World's Leading Companies, Fortune 500 Go-To Law Firm, Fortune
- Knight of St. Patrick by the College of Engineering, a prestigious award that recognizes leadership, excellence in character, and exceptional contribution to the College of Engineering and its students., Knight of St. Patrick, University of Illinois College of Engineering, 2000
- Best Intellectual Property Attorneys, 2020 (St. Louis Small Business Monthly), Best Intellectual Property Attorneys, St. Louis Small Business Monthly, 2020
- Ronnoco Coffee LLC
- Recovery Compliance Solutions
- Cigna/Expres Scripts
- Wildcat Discovery Technologies
- Wabtec Corp.
- Illinois Tool Works Inc.
- General Electric Co.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.S. with honors in Materials Science and Engineering with a focus on Electronic Materials and Processes, 2000
- 2017 Patent Law Update, CLE Presentation, January 2018, Author/presenter, 2017 Patent Law Update, Intellectual Property, 2018
- Patent Acquisition/Licensing Problems & Solutions, July 2009, Author/presenter, Patent Acquisition/Licensing Problems & Solutions, Intellectual Property, 2009
- Open Source Software, CLE Presentation, September 2010, Author/presenter, Open Source Software, Intellectual Property, Software, 2010
- Patent Subject Matter Eligibility After Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank, CLE presentation, 07-August-2014, Author/presenter, Patent Subject Matter Eligibility After Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank, 2014
- Changing Interpretations Of Patent Claims Pursuant To Section 112, CLE Presentation, June 2015, Author/presenter, Changing Interpretations Of Patent Claims Pursuant To Section 112, Intellectual Property, Software, 2015
- Software-based Patent Applications Best Practices For Preparation & Prosecution, CLE Presentation, January 2016, Author/presenter, Software-based Patent Applications Best Practices For Preparation & Prosecution, Intellectual Property, Software, 2016
- Selling the Stem Cell: The Licensing of the Stem Cell and Possible Antitrust Consequences, 2 J. L. Tech. & Pol’y 281, 435 (2002)), Author, Selling The Stem Cell: The Licensing Of The Stem Cell And Possible Antitrust Consequences, 2002
- Reciting Inventive Concepts In Claims & Claiming Graphical User Interfaces In Light Of Alice and Section 101, CLE Presentation, February 2018, Author/presenter, Reciting Inventive Concepts In Claims & Claiming Graphical User Interfaces In Light Of Alice and Section 101, Intellectual Property, Software, 2018
- Multiple Actor Infringement, CLE Presentation, February 2018, Author/presenter, Multiple Actor Infringement, 2018
- Section 101 Revisited: The Berkheimer Memo And The New Burden On Examiners, CLE Presentation, April 2018, Author/presenter, Section 101 Revisited: The Berkheimer Memo And The New Burden On Examiners, Intellectual Property, Software, 2018
- T. Malloy, S. Bartos and C. Carroll, An Alternative for Righting the Wrongs of an Arbitration Panel in IP Disputes, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (June 2002), Co-author, An Alternative For Righting The Wrongs Of An Arbitration Panel In IP Disputes, 2002
- Blocking and Tackling Class Certification in Federal Court, CBA Record 48-51 (February/March 2004), Author, Blocking And Tackling Class Certification In Federal Court, 2004
Office location for Christopher R. Carroll
1423 Strassner Dr
St. Louis, MO 63144
- Super Lawyers: 2022
- Rising Stars: 2013 - 2016