Richard S. Cornfeld
Top Rated Class Action & Mass Torts Attorney in St. Louis, MO
- Free Consultation
Rick Cornfeld spent 31 years with the finest general practice law firm in the Midwest, defending some of the largest and most scientifically complex lawsuits ever brought, including the longest jury trial ever held, Kemner et al. v. Monsanto Co., and the largest lawsuit in dollar terms ever tried, United States v. Philip Morris USA, Inc., et al. His work at that firm earned him selection in The Best Lawyers in America (Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants), Missouri Super Lawyers, and Who's Who in America, as well as a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® rating, signifying the highest level of professional excellence according to his peers.
Among other accomplishments, he was noted for his expert “take-downs.” For more detail on how he defeated opposition expert witnesses, click on this link.
In 2012 Rick left to pursue a different kind of litigation. He now represents consumers whose rights have been infringed in ways that until now have unfortunately gone largely unnoticed by our legal system.
Rick graduated with a B.A. with distinction from the University of Michigan and a J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law, where he was an editor of the Law Review and was selected to the Order of the Coif for graduating in the top 10% of his class.
Outside the practice of law, he is active in the Jewish community. He is past president of United Hebrew Congregation, one of the largest synagogues in the Midwest, and is a member of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (“AIPAC”), for which he serves on the National Council and co-chairs (with his wife Marcy) the St. Louis Council.
About Richard S. Cornfeld
First Admitted: 1975, Illinois
Professional Webpage: http://www.cornfeldlegal.com/about-us/rick-cornfeld/
- University of Michigan, B.A. (with distinction), 1972
- Represented Missouri consumers in Pirozzi v. Massage Envy, a class action lawsuit against Massage Envy over its alleged misrepresentation of the length of massages; court granted final approval to settlement in the amount of up to $1. 6 million., 2020
- Represented plaintiff class in McAllister v. St. Louis Rams, LLC., a class action seeking refunds for personal seat licenses on behalf of Rams ticket holders after team left St. Louis, Settled for $31 million., 2019
- Represented Missouri consumers in class action lawsuit against Hertz regarding the unfairness of certain fees charged to renters; parties agreed to six-figure individual settlement while case was pending in bankruptcy court after years of litigating case as putative class action., 2021
- President, Class Action Trial Lawyers Top 25, 2021
- Adjunct Professor, Saint Louis University School of Law, 2006
- Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards since 1980s., AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubell, 2022
- Awarded for McAllister v. St. Louis Rams, Top Verdicts and Settlements, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2020
- Recognized in Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs since 2013., Listed Lawyer, Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- Invitation-only professional organization composed of and limited to the Top 25 attorneys from each state or region who serve individuals and families who need attorneys to represent them in the American legal system regarding Class Action claims. Recognized since 2019., Class Action Trial Lawyers Top 25, National Trial Lawyers, 2022
- Membership limited to the premier trial lawyers from across the country who exemplify superior qualifications as civil plaintiff or criminal defense trial lawyers. Recognized since 2019., National Trial Lawyers Top 100, National Trial Lawyers, 2022
- Listed in Who's Who in America, Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 2022
- Elected to Order of the Coif in law school, Order of the Coif, Northwestern University School of Law, 1975
- The St. Louis Jewish Student Union is an organization that sponsors high school clubs for Jewish students throughout the St. Louis area., Israel Engagement Award, St. Louis Jewish Student Union, 2016
Pro bono/Community Service
- Member, National Council, American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), 2022
- Member, Public Justice, 2022
- Past President and Life Member of Board of Trustees, United Hebrew Congregaton, 2022
Last Updated: 5/15/2022