Vernon E. Woodward
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Billings, MontanaWoodward Law Firm, PLLC
Practice Areas: Criminal Defense, Family Law, General Litigation
Licensed in Montana since: 1979
Education: The University of Montana School of Law
Woodward Law Firm, PLLC49 North 15th St
Billings, MT 59101 Visit website
Managing partner at Woodward Law Firm, PLLC, Vernon E. Woodward handles criminal law, personal injury, family law and civil litigation for clients in several cities throughout Montana. These include Great Falls, Billings, Laurel, Glendive, Columbus, Park City, Bridger, Hardin, Lewistown, Big Timber, Miles City, Worden, Livingston, Sidney, Helena, Bozeman, Missoula, Deer Lodge and Butte. His practice also takes clients from Big Horn, Stillwater, Carbon and Yellowstone counties.
A representative of the State of Montana’s Criminal Justice Act Panel, Mr. Woodward is also on the Local Rules Committee for the United States District Court. For his high ethical standards and long list of successful results, he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Woodward is also listed in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100.
Mr. Woodward graduated cum laude from Eastern Montana College with a Bachelor of Arts in 1976, then attended the University of Montana Alexander Blewett III School of Law. There he again graduated with honors and obtained his Juris Doctor in 1979. He is admitted to practice in the state of Montana and before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit and the United States District Court for the District of Montana.
With almost four decades of experience, Mr. Woodward is actively involved in the legal community. This includes memberships in the American Association for Justice, the Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Montana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Yellowstone Area Bar Association and the State Bar of Montana.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Family Law, General Litigation
- 40% Criminal Defense
- 40% Family Law
- 20% General Litigation
First Admitted: 1979, Montana
Professional Webpage: http://www.woodwardlaw-mt.com/Attorneys/Vernon-E-Woodward.sh...
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- U.S. District Court District of Montana, 1979
- Montana, 1979
- Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2008 - Present
- American Association for Justice
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 1988 - Present
- Montana Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Yellowstone County Bar Association
- State Bar of Montana
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member, 1980 - Present
- Mountain States Super Lawyer, 2007 - 2013
- Criminal Justice Act Panel Representative for the State of Montana
- Local Rules Committee for United States District Court
- Martindale-Hubbell: AV Rated Attorney – Highest Rating in Legal Ability & Ethical Standards
- State v. Krueger, 2008 MT 265 (MT Supreme Ct 2008)
- State ex rel Kuntz v. District Courtl, 2000 MT 22 (MT Supreme Ct 2000)
- State v. Marks, 2002 MT 255 (MT Supreme Ct 2002)
- U.S. v. Seminole, 882 F.2d 441 (C.A.9 (Mont.) 1989)
- U.S. v. Ant, 882 F.2d 1389 (C.A.9 (Mont.) 1989)
- U.S. v. Brady, 928 F.2d 844 (C.A.9 (Mont.) 1991)
- Eastern Montana College, Billings, Montana, B.A. magna cum laude - 1976
- University of Montana School of Law, Missoula, Montana, J.D. - 1979, Honors: With Honors
Office location for Vernon E. Woodward
49 North 15th St
Billings, MT 59101
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2011, 2016 - 2023