John Stevens Berry, Sr.
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Lincoln, NE
The founder of the Berry Law Firm, John Stevens Berry, Sr., focuses his practice on criminal defense matters. Located in Lincoln, Nebraska, he provides representation to people throughout the area as well as in Omaha who have been charged by the state or federal government with having committed misdemeanor or felony offenses. Mr. Berry's caseload has included assisting clients who have been accused of driving under the influence of alcohol, drug possession and distribution, murder and other violent crimes, fraud, embezzlement, and other white collar crimes. He also has experience in personal injury and wrongful death litigation.
In the criminal defense area, Mr. Berry has enjoyed a successful track record when it comes to obtaining bench and jury acquittals as well as the negotiation of favorable plea agreements with the prosecution. His fellow attorneys have taken notice, as evidenced by his receipt of an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo. Admitted to practice before all Nebraska state courts, Mr. Berry is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska, the U.S. District Court for the District of South Dakota, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 8th Circuit, the Armed Forces, and Veterans Claims, the U.S. Tax Court, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Berry served with distinction in the military, and he was a member of the Judge Advocate General's Corps during the Vietnam conflict and the recipient of a Bronze Star and the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry. He holds a Bachelor of Arts from Stanford University and a Juris Doctor from what was then called the Northwestern University School of Law, and his professional memberships include the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About John Stevens Berry, Sr.
First Admitted: 1965, Nebraska
Professional Webpage: https://www.jsberrylaw.com/attorneys/john-stevens-berry-sr-/
- Recognized by Super Lawyers for his high-degree of peer recognition
- AV rating through Martindale Hubbell
- Fellow, American Board of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Those Gallant Men: On Trial in Vietnam, Military Book Club Award Winner
- Recipient: Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry (with Palm)
- Recipient: FBI Award for Service in the Public Interest
- Recipient: Bronze Star, Vietnamese Medal of Honor First Class (Gold)
- National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates, Member
- Robert Van Pelt Chapter, Inns of Court, Member, Executive Board of Directors, 1990 – 1993
- American Academy of Forensic Science, Member
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Nebraska Criminal Defense Attorney Association, Chairman, Committee on Expert Witnesses and Forensic Sciences, 1985 – 1989
- Nebraska Criminal Defense Attorney Association, President, 1991 – 1992
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
- Nebraska State and Federal Bar Associations, Veterans’ Law Section, Member
- U.S. Court of Veterans Appeals, 1996
- U.S. Tax Court, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1974
- Nebraska, 1965
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 1970
- U.S. District Court District of South Dakota, 1973
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska, 1965
- Stanford University, B.A., 1960
- Presidio Press, Those Gallant Men: On Trial in Vietnam, 1984
- Judge Advocate Generals School at the University of Virginia, Lecturer
- Addicus Books, Inc, The Twelfth Victim: The Innocence of Caril Fugate, 2014
- A sincere thank you to our CIO, Gordon Bjorman as he moves on to a new chapter outside of Berry Law. We are forever… https://t.co/0aTbPjEZOg
- May 13th is a day where we recognize children of fallen heroes, whose lives were forever changed in supporting thei… https://t.co/OfE8SoVO7X
- Berry Law Attorneys Mallory Hughes and John S. Berry reach another NOT GUILTY verdict. The jury reached their decis… https://t.co/dWKhb7rGkH
- Help us welcome our newest Legal Assistant, Matt Gaw. Not only did Matt serve in the United States Air Force, he al… https://t.co/wtsahjAzAk
- Berry Law Attorney, Renee Mathias in the studio with @3newsnow. More to come on "The Legal Minute." #BerryLaw https://t.co/qlMOr4dkRF
Last Updated: 5/15/2022