Top rated professional liability attorney in Las Vegas, NevadaMessner Reeves, LLP
Practice Areas: Professional liability, Business litigation, Employment litigation; view more
Licensed in Nevada since: 1996
Education: Arizona State University Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Messner Reeves, LLP8945 W. Russell Road
Las Vegas, NV 89148 Visit website
Edgar Carranza is a partner with Messner Reeves, LLP since merging his practice with the firm in 2022. Focusing his practice on civil litigation, he represents individuals and businesses throughout Nevada in a variety of matters, including professional liability (defense), recreational and sports law, premises liability (defense), employment law (Management and HPE), product liability and multidistrict mass tort litigation defense (Bone Screw Litigation, Asbestos Litigation, Silica Litigation and Tobacco Litigation). During his nearly 30 years of practice, Mr. Carranza has participated in numerous jury, bench and administrative trials, arbitration hearings and appellate proceedings.
A 1990 graduate of the University of Texas at Austin (dual Bachelors of Arts degrees in Government and Latin American Studies), Mr. Carranza earned his Juris Doctor in 1994 at the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University. Admitted to practice law in Nevada, he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States. As an indication of the high regard in which he is held by his peers, Mr. Carranza has received an AV-Preeminent* rating (5.0 out of 5.0) from Martindale-Hubbell and has been named in Best Lawyers of America.
Always seeking to expand his legal knowledge, Mr. Carranza actively participates in several professional organizations, including the American and Clark County bar associations, the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) and the Defense Research Institute (DRI). Fluent in both English and Spanish, he is a founding member of the Nevada Latino Bar Association (LBA) and a member of the Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA). Mr. Carranza has also given freely of his time as a volunteer mentor for the Huellas program sponsored by the Hispanic Law Students Association at the William S. Boyd School of Law and as a volunteer for several local community organizations such as the Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
The Best Lawyers in America® 2010. Copyright 2009 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
Practice areasProfessional liability: defense, Business litigation, Employment litigation: defense
Legal malpractice, Professional malpractice - other, Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, Employment law - employer
- 40% Professional liability: defense
- 30% Business litigation
- 30% Employment litigation: defense
First Admitted: 1996, Nevada
Professional Webpage: https://messner.com/attorneys/edgar-carranza/
- Executive Board, Latino Bar Association, 2001 - 2009 & 2016-17
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Member, Employment Law Section and Litigation Section, American Bar Association (ABA)
- Founding Member, Nevada Latino Bar Association (LBA)
- Member, Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA)
- U.S. District Court District of Nevada
- Nevada State Bar Association and the Clark County Bar Association (CCBA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Employment Law, Professional Liability and Product Liability/Food Liability Section
- Vice President of Finance, Latino Bar Association, 2001 -2007
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, Prestigious International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- 2015- Legal Elite- Nevada Business Magazine (Commercial Litigation, Employment Law & Professional Liability Defense)
- 2014 to present- "Best Lawyers in America" for Employment Law-Management, Best Lawyers in America
- AV rating (5.0 out of 5.0), the highest rating bestowed by Martindale Hubble
- Speaker, The Fundamentals of Construction Contracts: Understanding the Issues in Nevada Las Vegas, Nevada, April 2004. The conference discussed contracts in Nevada in the construction industry and included components on drafting contracts for constructions projects, prevailing wage statutes in Nevada, contractor liability for outstanding wages of subcontractors, federal and Nevada employment discrimination statutes, sexual harassment statutes and their effect in construction industry; ABA 2001 Survey, Pharmaceutical and Biological Subcommittee, Product Liability Committee, "Fifty State Survey of FDCA Related Tort Causes of Action" Nevada Law Section, Co-Author.
- Mentor with the award winning Huellas Mentoring Program through the UNLV Boyd School of Law
- Associate Member, Nevada Tavern Owners Association
- Volunteer, Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth (NPHY)
- Member, Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM)
- Executive Board Member, 1000 Books Before Kindergarten, 2013
- Member, Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce
- Moses v. Danek Medical, Inc., et. al., 1998 WL 1041279 (D. Nev. 1998) (successfully excluding expert in Orthopedic Bone Screw Litigation matter- MDL 1014)
- Suzy Kendal v. GES Exposition Services, Inc., 174 F.R.D. 684 (D. Nev. 1997) (successfully prevailing on motion to compel discovery from opposing party in sexual discrimination case)
- Simkins v. NevadaCare, Inc., 229 F.3d 729 (9th Cir. 2000) (successfully reversing the trial court’s granting of summary judgment and entering summary judgment on behalf of Simkins in ERISA related matter)
- Schonbachler v. Karol WesternCorp., Slip Copy, 2010 WL 3583012 (D. Nev. September 7, 2010) (granting summary judgment in favor of employer on claims of age discrimination under the federal ADEA and Nevada statutory equivalent and dismissing individual defendants from personal liability in this employment discrimination lawsuit)
- Sanchez v. Walgreen Co., et al.,125 Nev. Advance Opinion 60 (December 24, 2009) (affirming summary judgment for Walgreen Co. and the other pharmacy defendants holding that pharmacists do not owe a duty to unknown third parties in wrongful death action)
- Shelter Realty, Inc.
- Air Methods Corporation
- A&G Gaming
- Nevada Coaches, LLC
- IMO Industries
- PSIC Insurance
- Swindell Dressler
- NCMIC Insurance
- H&L Realty and Management Co.
- Mercy Air Services Inc.
- Las Vegas Gaming, Inc.
- Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
- Danek Medical, Inc.
- Starr Company
- Crane Co.
- Mount Vernon Fire Insurance
- Karol Western Corporation
- AXA Insurance Company
- Truckee Meadows Property Management
- Star Transit, LLC
- Walgreen Co.
- Showtime Tours
- Diamond Mountain Distributors, LLC
- United States Liability Insurance Group
- AXA Corporate Solutions Insurance Company
- University of Texas, B.A. in Government and Latin American Studies, 1990
- Leadership Las Vegas, Graduate, 2010
- American Bar Association (Employment Law Section); Defense Research Institute (DRI) (Employment &
Office location for Edgar Carranza
8945 W. Russell Road
Las Vegas, NV 89148
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2009