John B. Shook
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Las Vegas, NevadaShook & Stone Injury Lawyers
The founding partner of Shook & Stone, John B. Shook has offices in Las Vegas and Reno, Nevada. He serves clients in both locations from his Las Vegas office, helping them with personal injury matters involving medical malpractice, workers’ compensation, automobile accidents and wrongful death.
Graduating with a B.S. in marketing and management from Oklahoma State University in 1991, Mr. Shook earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Oklahoma College of Law in 1994. He was admitted to practice the same year in Nevada and the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada; and later, in Oklahoma (1995). He has represented clients before several state and federal courts, including the Nevada Supreme Court.
A zealous advocate for his clients, Mr. Shook has acted as lead trial counsel in many complex personal injury trials, representing victims and families of those who are injured or killed due to negligence of a third party. He has helped his clients get multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements in severe injury and wrongful death cases, which also includes the most recent $19.8 million verdict for a construction worker who underwent a leg amputation due to a workplace injury.
The State Bar of Nevada has certified Mr. Shook as a Personal Injury Specialist, and he serves as an arbitrator for the Eighth Judicial District court-annexed arbitration program. Honored for his integrity, professionalism and dedication, he has received the Client Champion - Platinum award and peer- review rated as AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell. Furthermore, he has a 10 out of 10 rating on Avvo based on his vast legal knowledge, five-star client reviews and endorsements from fellow attorneys.
Mr. Shook is a licensed practitioner for more than two decades, and he maintains his ties to the legal community by being an active member of the:
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Nevada Justice Association
Constantly working to make his community a better place, Mr. Shook and his wife support various causes, including the HELP of Southern Nevada, the Children’s Advocacy Project (legal aid of Southern Nevada), the Families for Effective Autism Treatment, the New Horizons Center for Learning and the annual KLUC Toys for Tots Toy Drive. He is also the founder of SpectrumConnects, which helps kids with autism connect with each other based on mutual interests.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Brain Injury, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 100% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1994, Nevada
Professional Webpage: https://www.shookandstone.com/Our-Team/John-B-Shook.aspx
- AV Preeminent, Martindale Hubbell
- Past Chair of the Nevada State Bar’s Client Security Fund
- SpectrumConnects, Founder
- Nevada's Citizens for Justice, Member
- Annual Toys for Tots Toy Drive, KLUC
- New Horizons Center for Learning
- Nevada Medical-Legal Screening Panel, Member
- Families for Effective Autism Treatment
- Children's Advocacy Project (Legal Aid of Southern Nevada)
- HELP, Southern Nevada
- Nevada Law Foundation, Colleague
- Oklahoma State University, B.S., 1991
- American Bar Association, Member
- Member of the State Bar’s Mock Trial Committee
- Nevada Justice Association, Past Member of the Board of Governors
- Eighth Judicial District Court, Annexed Arbitration Program, Arbitrator
- Certified as a Personal Injury Specialist, Nevada Justice Association (NJA)
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- State Bar of Nevada, Elected Chair of the Clients' Security Fund, 2009 - 2011
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Case Summary In this construction negligence litigation proceeding, plaintiffs Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, Thomas Novick alleged Panelized structures Inc of negligence because of which Mr. Novick an employee of the company was run over by a 14,000+ pound Sky-Trak 5028 rough-terrain forklift that was being parked by his supervisor, Floyd Nielsen, who was 74 years old at the time (September 1, 2004) and had retired ten years earlier.The plaintiffs in this case comprised of Liberty Mutual Insurance Group and Thomas Novick. Liberty Mutual Insurance Group was represented by attorney Elizabeth Foley. Thomas Novick was represented by attorneys John Shook and David Romaow. The defendant in this case, Floyd Neilsen and other defendants were represented by attorney Sean Brohawn.The jury allocated 20% of the fault to the plaintiff, and awarded damages of $19,854,217.For more information, visit the CVN News Blog.Outcome Fault: 80% Defense, 20% PlaintiffMedical Expenses: 1,571,202-Past, 7,077,415-FutureEarnings: 171,600-Past, 914,800-FutureNon-Economic: 2,629,800-Past, 7,889,400-Future, 2011
- Certified by the State Bar of Nevada as a Personal Injury Specialist., 2016
Office location for John B. Shook
710 S. Fourth Street
Las Vegas, NV 89101
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2017