Charles G. Douglas, III.
Top rated Civil Litigation attorney in Concord, New HampshireDouglas Leonard & Garvey, PC
Attorney Charles G. Douglas, III, is a founding partner with Douglas, Leonard & Garvey, P.C., law firm, which has law offices in Portsmouth and Concord, New Hampshire. Nationally recognized as among the top trial lawyers in the country, Mr. Douglas has more than 52 years of total legal experience, and he provides unmatched representation and support to clients across New Hampshire who have suffered injuries or loss as a result of someone else's negligence or wrongdoing.
Focusing his practice exclusively on civil litigation, Mr. Douglas has achieved remarkable success advocating on behalf of individuals and families adversely affected by motor vehicle accidents, medical malpractice, dog bites and other preventable tragedies. From his efforts, he has recovered millions of dollars in total compensation for his plaintiff clients, and he finds great reward in being able to help so many in his community obtain the justice they deserve.
In honor of his outstanding professionalism and superior client service, Mr. Douglas has earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs. He also received the organization's Lawyer of the Year award for Concord Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs, and he has received "Superb, 10 out of 10" client ratings on Avvo as well as the 10 Best in Client Satisfaction award from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys in 2015.
A 1965 cum laude graduate of the University of New Hampshire, Mr. Douglas obtained his Juris Doctor from Boston University School of Law in 1968. Over his illustrious legal career, he has served as legal counsel to the state's governor as well as elected congressman in the U.S. House of Representatives. He has also served as a superior court judge, and he holds the distinction of being one the youngest to ever serve as a New Hampshire Supreme Court Justice.
A leader in his field, Mr. Douglas has authored or contributed to several legal reference publications, including New Hampshire Practice and Procedure: Family Law and the New Hampshire Evidence Manual. He has also served as chair of the New Hampshire Judicial Selection Committee, and he is an active member of the New Hampshire, Merrimack County and Manchester Bar Associations, the New Hampshire Association for Justice and the New Hampshire Chapter of the National Employment Lawyers Association, among his other professional affiliations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
Practice areasCivil Litigation: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death
- 60% Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 40% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1968, New Hampshire
Professional Webpage: https://www.nhlawoffice.com/about-us/meet-our-team/charles-g...
- Rotary Club of Concord
- Red River Theatre – Red Carpet Award
- Pierce Law Pinney Fund
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Pan-Mass Challenge – Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Nackey Loeb School of Communication
- Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce
- Kelly Packowski MS Foundation
- Friends of St. John Regional School
- Child and Family Services – Concert for the Cause
- Concord Hospital – Family Health Center
- Concord Family YMCA
- Coalition of New Hampshire Taxpayers
- Chester College
- Campaign for Legal Services
- Brain Injury Association of New Hampshire
- American Red Cross
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 25th Edition of The Best Lawyers In America
- Best Lawyers, 2020
- Named the Best Lawyers’ 2019 Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs – “Lawyer of the Year” for Concord
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 2015 Client Satisfaction Award
- “AV-Preeminent” rating, the highest rating available in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Distinguished Service to the Profession Award, Distinguished Service to the Profession Award, New Hampshire Bar Association, 2017
- 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award, Lifetime Achievement Award, New Hampshire Association for Justice, 2014
- Chairman of the Governor’s Judicial Selection Committee
- Manchester Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association, N.H. Chapter
- Merrimack County Bar Association
- New Hampshire Association for Justice
- NH Bar Association
- Member of the Constitutional Convention Study Commission
- NH Judicial Selection Commission, Chair
- New Hampshire Constitution Bicentennial Education Commission, Chairman
- Faculty, American Academy of Judicial Education, 1977-1981, Faculty, American Academy of Judicial Education
- New Hampshire Practice and Procedure: Family Law (2 Volumes)
- Division of the Pre-Marital Trust or Inheritance, 2004
- Civil & Criminal Contempt in New Hampshire, 2007
- Adjunct Faculty Member at the American Bar Association’s Appellate Judge’s Seminars
- Adjunct Faculty Member at the University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Author, New Hampshire Evidence Manual
- Appellate Judges' Seminar Series, 1980-1984, Faculty, ABA Appellate Judges' Seminar Series
- Teaching trial advocacy - 1980-1986, Adjunct Faculty, Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Superior Court Associate Justice 1974-1976
- New Hampshire Supreme Court Associate Justice, January 1, 1077. Became Senior Justice of the Court on September 1, 1983 and resigned as of August 16, 1985 to resume private practice
- Trustee, Nackey Loeb School of Communications, 2016-present Member of Board of Directors, New Hampshire Gathering of the Scottish Clans, 1982-2006; Vice President 2002-2004; President 2005 Faculty, American Academy of Judicial Education, 1977-1081 Adjunct Faculty, Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, New Hampshire, teaching trial advocacy, 1980-1986 Faculty, ABA Appellate Judges' Seminar Series, 1980-1984
- B.A. The University of New Hampshire, cum laude, 1965
- $14,000,000 Title IX Class Action v. Dartmouth College, 10/19, 2019
Office location for Charles G. Douglas, III.
14 South Street, Ste. 5
Concord, NH 03301
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023