James Coughenour, Jr.
Top rated Workers' Compensation attorney in Portsmouth, New HampshireRainboth Murphy & Lown
James Coughenour, Jr., is a partner at Rainboth, Murphy & Lown, P.A., in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Mr. Coughenour focuses his practice on workers’ compensation law, serving clients in the greater Portsmouth area, Rockingham County and throughout the New Hampshire seacoast.
A dedicated advocate on behalf of injured New Hampshire workers, Mr. Coughenour is an experienced litigator and capable negotiator. He has recovered substantial amounts in settlements and verdicts in cases involving various types of work-related injuries. In addition to workers’ compensation, he has experience with personal injury and general civil litigation.
Born in Portsmouth, Mr. Coughenour graduated cum laude from the University of New Hampshire with a bachelor’s degree. He earned his law degree from Massachusetts School of Law. He also holds a certificate in police education and training. He is qualified to practice law in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Maine, as well as before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire.
Outside of his law practice, Mr. Coughenour engages in many professional and community activities. He is an active member of the New Hampshire Bar Association and the New Hampshire Association for Justice and sits on the board of Southeast New Hampshire Habitat for Humanity.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Coughenour served as an auxiliary police officer for the City of Portsmouth and a volunteer assistant city solicitor with the City of Lowell, Massachusetts. In 2011, he served as a volunteer attorney with the Lawyer for a Day Program and is a former member of the Massachusetts Bar Association.
Practice areasWorkers' Compensation: Claimant, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 70% Workers' Compensation: Claimant
- 30% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2011, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://nhtrialattorneys.com/our-attorneys/james-e-coughenou...
- City of Lowell, MA, Volunteer Assistant City Solicitor, 2011 – 2012
- Lawyer for the Day Program, Volunteer Attorney, 2011
- University of New Hampshire (B.A., cum laude), 2008
- NH Police Education and Training (certificate), 2007
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 2011
- Southeast NH Habitat for Humanity, Board of Directors, 2016 – present
- New Hampshire Association for Justice, 2014 – present
- New Hampshire Bar Association, 2012 – present
- Massachusetts Bar Association, 2011 – 2013
- State of Maine, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire, 2014
- State of New Hampshire, 2012
- $370,000 - Personal Injury Settlement - Assault - Eye injury, 2022
- $212,500 - Workers' Compensation - shoulder/back injury, 2023
- $180,000 - Personal Injury - ATV accident, no insurance coverage, 2023
- $100,000 - Personal Injury - MVA, dethatched retina, policy limit case, 2023
- $200,000 - Personal Injury - client sustained a hernia after attempting to get into a vehicle while it was moving , 2023
- $110,000 - Workers' Compensation - rotator cuff tear, 2023
- $200,000 - Workers' Compensation - back injury, 2023
- $300,000 - Personal Injury - Trip and fall, policy limits case, 2023
- $360,000 - Workers' Compensation - Police Officer PTSD, 2023
- $125,000 - Personal Injury Settlement - Slip and Fall, 2022
- $105,000 - Workers' Compensation Settlement - head injury, 2022
- $105,000 - Personal Injury Settlement - slip and fall, 2022
- $110,000 - Workers' Compensation - Rotator Cuff tear, 2022
- $100,000 - Workers' Compensation - Ankle Injury, 2022
- $125,000 - Workers' Compensation - Trucking Accident - leg injury, 2022
- $120,000 - Workers' Compensation Settlement - foot infection/toe amputation, 2020
- $165,000 - Workers' Compensation Settlement - leg injury, 2020
- $92,500 - Workers' Compensation Settlement - ankle injury, 2021
- $180,000 - Workers' Compensation Settlement - back injury, 2020
- $250,000 - slip and fall - hip injury, 2020
- $130,000 - Workers' Compensation Settlement for a hand injury, 2021
- $149,999.99 - Workers' Compensation Settlement for shoulder injury, 2021
Office location for James Coughenour, Jr.
439 Middle St
Portsmouth, NH 03801
- Rising Stars: 2020 - 2023