Derek A. DeCosmo
Top rated immigration attorney in Camden, New JerseyDeCosmo Law
Practice Areas: Immigration, Criminal defense
Licensed in New Jersey since: 2005
Education: Rutgers School of Law - Camden
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Derek A. DeCosmo is the founding and managing Partner of DeCosmo Law. Since 2005, Derek has guided clients through the maze of immigration law. Derek is experienced, responsive and driven by results. Derek has successfully represented thousands of immigrant clients, whether they’ve been in deportation proceedings or in their applications for immigration benefits. Derek has handled every type of immigration case. Derek has extensive experience advising clients on the immigration consequences of criminal convictions and in defending immigrant clients charged with crimes.
Derek’s passion for working with immigrants began during his time in government. He was first an aide and later Deputy Chief of Staff to Congressman Robert E. Andrews, where he worked to ensure the rights of immigrants in the benefits and application process.
In 2008 Derek established DeCosmo Law, a full-service immigration law firm. Derek represented clients in every type of immigration benefits application. Derek also represented immigrants in both deportation and criminal court proceedings. He was one of the few attorneys in New Jersey practicing in the area of the convergence of immigration and criminal law. In 2013, Derek joined the prestigious criminal defense law firm, Zucker Steinberg & Wixted. For five years, Derek led the firm's Immigration Law Group and represented both U.S. citizens and immigrants in criminal and municipal court matters.
Derek's advocacy on behalf of New Jersey's immigrant communities led to his selection as 2014-2015 Chairman for the New Jersey Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, which has over 10,000 members nationwide.
In 2016 Rutgers School of Law asked Derek to develop and teach a course on “crimmigration” law, which studies the historical and contemporary relationship between criminal and immigration law. The course explores the immigration consequences of criminal prosecutions. Derek has served as a Part-Time Lecturer at Rutgers School of Law from 2016 to the present.
In 2018 Derek founded DeCosmo Law and serves as managing partner. DeCosmo Law is a boutique immigration law firm. The firm concentrates on representing immigrants in all benefits applications, deportation defense and in handling the most complex immigration and criminal matters.
When not in a courtroom or teaching other lawyers and law students, Derek is passionate about donating his time to charitable causes and giving back to the community. He hosts lectures at various churches and organizations to inform the community of their legal rights. As a native of Burlington County, Derek knew from the start that serving the communities of South Jersey would be central to his practice. Derek and his wife along with their two children reside in Gloucester County, New Jersey.
Practice areasImmigration: consumer, Criminal defense
- 70% Immigration: consumer
- 30% Criminal defense
First Admitted: 2005, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.drsjlaw.com/attorney/derek-a-decosmo/
- 2015 - 2018, Top Attorney Rated by AVVO
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars list, 2015 - 2018
- 2015 - 2018, AV-Preeminent Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- 2018, Selected to South Jersey Magazine’s Top Attorneys
- 2015 - 2018, Selected to New Jersey Monthly’s Top Attorneys
- Camden County Bar Association, Immigration Committee, Co-Chair, 2017 - Present
- PA Chapter of AILA, 2018
- NJ Chapter of AILA, Chairman, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”), New Jersey Chapter, Chairman, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- New Jersey
- 2011 - Present, Lecturer, Presented to the Rutgers School of Law on “Impact of SB 1070, Arizona’s Anti-Immigration Law”
- 2017 - Present, Immigration Law: What Every Attorney Should Know, New Jersey State Bar Association
- The Barrister, Author, New Hope in Deportation Defense During a Time of Otherwise Great Uncertainty
- 2010 - Present, Lecturer, Presented to the Rutgers School of Law on “Immigration Law and Politics”
- 2018 - Present, Lecturer, Presented CLE course to the Camden County Bar Association on—“Everything a criminal defense attorney needs to know when representing a noncitizen client.”
- 2011 - Present, Co-Author, Understanding the Immigration Impact of Your Clients Case Before You Resolve It, The Barrister
- 2012 - Present, Lecturer, Presented CLE for the Mercer County Bar Association on “Immigration Issues in Family Law.”
- 2014 - Present, Lecturer, Presented CLE for the Camden County Bar on – “Avoiding Ineffective Assistance of Counsel Claims, a New Jersey Defense Attorney’s Guide to Representing Non-Citizen Clients.”
- 2015 - Present, Lecturer, Presented CLE course during the Camden County Bar Association’s Black Letter Blast on Criminal Law on – “Immigration Consequences of Criminal Activity.”
- 2015 - Present, Lecturer, Presented CLE course to the NJ Chapter of the Federal Bar Association on - “Immigration Executive Orders and Deferred Action.”,
- Albright College, B.A., Major: Communications, History, 2001
Office location for Derek A. DeCosmo
The DePersia Building
511 Market St.
Camden, NJ 08102
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2018