Karl J. Norgaard
Top rated Bankruptcy attorney in Englewood, New JerseyNorgaard, O'Boyle & Hannon
Practice Areas: Bankruptcy, Creditor Debtor Rights; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 2004
Education: Seton Hall University School of Law
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Norgaard, O'Boyle & Hannon184 Grand Avenue
Englewood, NJ 07631 Visit website
Karl J. Norgaard is a well-sought-after bankruptcy attorney known for his dedication to pushing through all hardships and helping clients. He serves people residing in and around Bergen, Hudson, and Passaic counties and Morristown through the New Jersey-based law firm Norgaard, O’Boyle & Hannon in Englewood, where he is also a partner. He primarily handles cases involving foreclosure law, creditors’ and debtors’ rights, and at times corporate law and real estate litigation as well.
Mr. Norgaard received his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Rutgers College and graduated in the early 2000s. Later, he attended the Seton Hall University School of Law in Newark and obtained his Juris Doctor in 2004. He was admitted to practice law in New Jersey the same year and in New York a year later.
Right after graduating from law school, Mr. Norgaard joined Norgaard, O’Boyle & Hannon and has been representing the people of New Jersey through the firm for the past 18 years. Throughout his career, he has worked closely with debtors and creditors in New Jersey and New York and helped them uphold their rights and has extensive experience and knowledge in both state's bankruptcy laws. He has also worked with clients who needed assistance with loan modifications.
Described as a reliable and responsive attorney by one of his previous clients, Mr. Norgaard always maintains open communication with his clients and earnestly helps them with any ordeal that arises during the case. His legal proficiency and work have been lauded by his peers and he was rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell. He also holds a 10/10 score on Avvo.
Mr. Norgaard is well-known in his legal community not only for his day-to-day work but also for numerous lectures given through the Institute of Continuing Legal Education. A barrister at the American Inns of Court, he holds memberships in other organizations such as the New Jersey Bankruptcy Bar Foundation, the Bergen County Bar Association and the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey.
Karl J. Norgaard is a debt relief agent. He helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasBankruptcy: Business, Creditor Debtor Rights: Business, Creditor Debtor Rights: Consumer, Business/Corporate, General Litigation, Real Estate: Consumer
Bankruptcy Law, Collections, Debt Discharge, Foreclosure, Landlord/Tenant, Litigation, Loan Modifications, Short Sale
- 30% Bankruptcy: Business
- 20% Creditor Debtor Rights: Business
- 20% Creditor Debtor Rights: Consumer
- 10% Business/Corporate
- 10% General Litigation
- 10% Real Estate: Consumer
First Admitted: 2004, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.norgaardfirm.com/attorney/karl-j-norgaard/
- Prevailed in below matter: Contracts | Real Estate New Alliance, LLC v. Lin, Superior Court Chancery Division, Judge DeLuca. The parties entered a purchase agreement in which plaintiff Krikor Kalfayan agreed to purchase real property from defendants, for a purchase price of $1.9 million with $100,000 payable within one year of the agreement date and the balance by the following year. Kalfayan agreed to pay real estate taxes and provide liability and fire insurance; the parties agreed to split rent income through closing. Several years later in 2015, defendant and plaintiff One New Alliance entered into an agreement to purchase the property, with the agreement stating that ONA's members included plaintiff Kalfayan and Amrish Patel. The 2015 agreement stated that the purchase price was $1.7 million, with $170,000 paid at execution, $340,000 paid at closing, and the balance paid by mortgage. The property was to be sold "as is." Plaintiffs filed a breach of contract action; in response, defendants filed a landlord-tenant action against plaintiffs. The parties later reached a settlement, which acknowledged that the purchase price of the property was $1.7 million, with a $85,000 to be paid within five days, $435,000 at closing, and the balance by mortgage. Past real estate taxes were to be paid by plaintiffs. The parties later purported to negotiate a second revised settlement which defendants did not execute. Defendants contended that defendant Pai-Chaun Lin and his counsel did not have authority to bind defendants to the second settlement. The court found that defendants' counsel was authorized to conduct revised settlement negotiations. The court ruled that plaintiffs and their counsel were justified in presuming that defense counsel was also authorized to enter into settlement on behalf of defendants. Thus, the court ruled that plaintiffs' acceptance of defense counsel's proposed revised settlement created an enforceable contract. [Filed May 19, 2021]
- Served as Council Member in Borough of Leonia. In that capacity I also served as Police Commissioner, Fire Commissioner and Chair of Laws and Ordinance Committee
- Closed real estate transactions with value of over $30,000,000. Negotiated Note purchases and continued foreclosure matters both in New Jersey and New York. Represented debtors as well as creditors in all aspects of chapter 7, 11 and 13 matters
- Represented Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae in volume bankruptcy practice; now represents community banks and private lenders as well as hedge funds
- Borough of Leonia, Councilman
- Volunteer Lawyers for Social Justice, Trustee of the New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Foundation (NJBLF.com)
- Evaluate applications in nonprofit entity; Client Choice Award from AVVO (See VVO Profile for more information) especially regarding client reviews, Trustee NJ Bankruptcy Lawyer's Foundation
- Recognized, Selected as a Rising Star
- Selected as a Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters, 2021
- AV Preeminent, Martindale Hubbell, 2021
- Bankruptcy Law II: Vigilantly Defending the Rights of a Real Estate Investment Trust Under the New Bankruptcy Code
- The use of state statutory and common law alternatives to federal bankruptcy proceedings, 2015
- The utilization of Reverse Mortgages in insolvency situations, 2015
- Reverse Mortgages: Creative Strategies, 2014
- Ethics and Social Media, 2012
- Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors or Bankruptcy?, 2011
- New Jersey, 2004
- CLE and Bench/Bar Subcommittee of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- New Jersey Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, Barrister
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2005
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2005
- New York, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2004
- Bergen County Bar Association; Bankruptcy Bar Association, Federal Bankruptcy Inn of Court- Barrister (leads lecture topics)
- St. Joseph Regional High School, 2nd in class, 1997
- Rutgers College, B.A., 3.91 GPA, 2001
Office location for Karl J. Norgaard
184 Grand Avenue
Englewood, NJ 07631
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2019