Robert J. Shanahan, Jr.
Top Rated Elder Law Attorney in Flemington, NJ
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Partner at Shanahan & Voigt, LLC, Robert J. Shanahan, Jr., represents clients from central New Jersey and occasionally throughout the entire state. His practice is focused on cases related to guardianship, elder law, probate and estate planning. With over four decades of experience, he is also a former mediator and is trained in collaborative law to resolve estate and probate disputes.
Mr. Shanahan attended William Paterson College of New Jersey, where he graduated with honors and his Bachelor of Arts in 1981. He then studied law at Temple University Beasley School of Law and earned his Juris Doctor in 1985. The current president of the Hunterdon County Bar Association, he is also a member of the Hunterdon Medical Center’s Ethics Committee and a trustee for the New Jersey Chapter of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.
Admitted to practice in the state of New Jersey, Mr. Shanahan has honed his negotiation skills throughout the course of his career to resolve issues related to probate matters and elder law. A natural teacher, he has taught for the Hunterdon County Bar Association’s Continuing Legal Education section and written for the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.
An active volunteer within his community, Mr. Shanahan is the former president, trustee and current counsel to Volunteer Guardianship One on One, Inc. He was also involved with the Boy Scouts of America as a former Scoutmaster for the Washington Crossing Council, where he was also assistant district chair. After watching his wife unexpectedly become executor of her uncle’s estate, he is now passionate about making sure his clients are prepared for whatever comes their way.
About Robert J. Shanahan, Jr.
First Admitted: 1985, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://legalcounselnj.com/svteam/robert-j-shanahan-jr/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Past President, Volunteer Guardianship- One on One, Inc. One on One, Inc.
- Assistant District Chair, Washington Crossing Council, Scouts BSA; former Scoutmaster Troop 121, 2019
- Trustee, Former President and currently counsel to Volunteer Guardianship One on One, Inc., 2008
- B.A., William Paterson College of New Jersey, with honors, 1981
- U.S. District Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1990
- U.S. District Court for New Jersey, 1985
- New Jersey, 1985
- Member, Ethics Committee, Hunterdon Medical Center, 2019
- Trustee, New Jersey Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2018
- President, Hunterdon County Bar Association, 2010
- New Jersey Association of Trained Mediators, 2014
- Annual award is given to one who has supported and given time and talent to further the aims of Volunteer Guardianship at its annual Gala Dinner, Volunteer of the Year, Volunteer Guardianship One on One, Inc., https://volunteerguardianship.org/, 2018
- Continuing Legal Education program for Hunterdon County Bar members on the practical use of living wills, Presenter, What You Don't Know About Living Wills, www.huntcolaw.org, Attorneys, 2019
- This article discusses the trend of local bank branches disapproving durable powers of attorneys and what practitioners can do about it, Author, Durable Powers of Attorney and Bank Disapproval, NAELA News, Jan/Feb 2020. National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Legal, 2020
Last Updated: 5/15/2022