Douglas T. Tabachnik
Top rated Bankruptcy attorney in Freehold, New JerseyLaw Offices of Douglas T. Tabachnik, P.C.
Practice Areas: Bankruptcy, Business Litigation; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1990
Education: Syracuse University College of Law
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Douglas T. Tabachnik is among only a handful of attorneys to be certified as a Specialist in Business Bankruptcy Law in either New Jersey or New York by the American Board of Certification, a non-profit organization that is jointly sponsored by the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Commercial Law League of America, and duly accredited by the American Bar Association. He is the immediate past Co-Chair (13 years) of the Creditors rights and Bankruptcy Litigation Committee of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association. He ia also a long-standing member of the Executive Committee of that section, helping to shape policies promoted by the New York State Bar Association of statewide and national importance.
He has been in private practice in New York since 1981 and in New Jersey since 1990. Mr. Tabachnik is also a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute as well as a number of other organizations dealing with business and individual bankruptcy. He has represented the Official Receiver of the State of Israel in the matter Official Receiver of the State of Israel v. Nakash, as well as U.S. Bank and Morgan Stanley as creditors in cases. His notable debtor cases include representation of the debtors in the cases of In re Smart World Technologies (an early dot com case) and In re Duncraggen, and 87-10 51st Avenue Owner's Corp. (involving cooperative apartment buildings). He has appears and represented clients in all walks of bankruptcy and litigation matters, including 18 cases in which he has made new law with decisions of first impression by bankruptcy and federal judges in New York and New Jersey, including the federal Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Tabachnik has been rated AV by Martindale Hubbell since 2001, the oldest peer based rating service in the US, since 2000. See his full bio at his website at www.dttlaw.com
“We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.”
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasBankruptcy: Business, Business Litigation
- 80% Bankruptcy: Business
- 20% Business Litigation
First Admitted: 1981, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.dttlaw.com/attorneys/douglas-t-tabachnik/
- , Metro New York Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters
- , New Jersey Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters
- Rated AV every year since 2000, by Martindale Hubbell and included in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers published by Martindale-Hubbell 2001 through 2013., Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell
- One of 16 attorneys selected from the State to receive this highly prestigious award commemorating pro bono services rendered to indigent clients., Equal Justice Medal, Legal Services of New Jersey, 2017
- Big Shoulders Capital LLC v. San Luis & Rio Grande R.R., 13 F.4th 560 (7th Cir. 2021); In re Scandia Seafood (New York) Inc. , 2017 Bankr. LEX 1298 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 2017); Schwartz v. Boom Batta Inc., 137 A.D. 3d 512 (N.Y.A.D. 1st Dept. 2016); In re Crumbs Bake Shop, Inc., 522 B.R. 766 (Bankr. D.N.J., 2014); Johns-Manville Corp. v. Chubb Indem. Ins. Co. (In re Johns-Manville Corp.), 517 F.3d 52 (2d Cir 2008); The Asbestos Personal Injury Plainitffs v. Traveler's Indemnity Company, et al. (In re Johns-Manville Corporation), 476 F3d. 118 (2d Cir 2007); In re Dana Corporation, 2008 U.S. Dist Lexis 71430 (S.D.N.Y. 2008); Youngman v. Bursztyn, (In re Bursztyn), 366 B.R. 353 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2007); In re Dana Corp. 344 B.R. 35 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 2006); Gibbs v. Marine Midland Bank, N.A. (In re Gibbs), 2000 U.S. App. LEXIS 23769 (2d Cir. 2000); In re Gibbs, 230 B.R. 471 (Bankr. D.Ct., 1999); Cassirer v. Herskowitz (In re Schick, et al), 234 B.R. 237 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 1999); Condren v. Harrison (In re Borison), 226 B.R.779 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 1998); In re Strober, 136 B.R. 614 (Bankr. E.D.N.Y. 1992).
- New York State ( Immediate past Chair, Bankruptcy Litigation Committee, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section); Committee on Bankruptcy Law, Business Law Section) and New Jersey State (Member, Bankruptcy Section; Legislative Coordinator—) Bar Associations; New York County Lawyers Association (Member, Committee on Corporation Law, 1983—; Committee on Bankruptcy Law, 1990—); American Bankruptcy Institute (Member, Commercial Fraud Task Force, Committee on Bankruptcy Litigation); New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Foundation (Trustee, 2004—); New York Institute of Credit; Turnaround Management Association.
- New York City Bar Association Member of Bankruptcy & Corporate Reorganization Committee
- Chaired a panel on bankrutpcy Litigation for the 2006 Spring Meeting of the Commecial and Federal Litigation Section, New York State Bar Association
- Chaired a panel on bankruptcy litigation for the Bankruptcy Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association., Program Chair, New Jersey State Bar Association, 2007
- Speaker, Representing Your Client in Federal Court, National Business Institute , 2013
- Syracuse University Whitman School of Management, M.B.A., 1980
- George Washington University, B.A. with Special Honors in Political Science, 1977
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1980
- Successfully defended involuntary bankruptcy filing in Southern District of New York Bankruptcy Court against Scandia Seafood Assignee, 2017
- Represented 130 Texas tax jurisdictions in the Sears bankruptcy case pending in the Southern District of New York, 2019
- Certified by the American Board of Certification in business bankruptcy law, 2021
- Quotient Technologies, Member of Creditors' Committee in case of In re Revlon, Inc., Represented past management in case of In re Voyager Digital Holdings, Inc., et al., 2023
- Trustee of the New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers' Foundation, 2023
- Asset Based Financing
- Importing; Secured Lending
- Restaurant Receivables Financing and Acquisition
Office location for Douglas T. Tabachnik
63 West Main Street, Suite C
Freehold, NJ 07728
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2024