Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Hackensack, NJ
Selected to Rising Stars: 2010 - 2011, 2013
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
- Free Consultation
A seasoned personal injury and employment discrimination attorney with a proven track record, Roosevelt Jean has over 17 years of experience representing the rights of New Jersey residents. The founder and owner of the Law Offices of Roosevelt Jean, LLC, in Hackensack, he has litigated hundreds of cases and negotiated beneficial settlements on behalf of his clients.
Extremely skilled and experienced in civil trials, Mr. Jean was certified as a civil trial attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court, a designation granted only to a small percentage of lawyers. He was also listed in the “New Leaders of the Bar” by the New Jersey Law Journal.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Jean has fought tenaciously for his clients who are victims of auto accidents, construction accidents, nursing home abuse, medical malpractice, wrongful death, slip-and-falls, animal attacks, and defective products. He has also handled a number of employment and labor law cases pertaining to workplace discrimination, sexual harassment, whistleblower retaliation, wage and hour issues, and FMLA.
A cum laude graduate of Hunter College – City University of New York, Mr. Jean obtained his B.A. in political science in 1999. He then attended the Syracuse University College of Law and received his Juris Doctor in 2003. He is qualified to practice in New Jersey and New York, and before the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit.
Known among his peers and colleagues for his stellar client service, Mr. Jean has procured millions of dollars in compensation for his plaintiff clients. Some of his representative results include a $900,000 settlement in a catastrophic personal injury case, a $600,000 settlement for an assault victim, and a $400,000 recovery for a client suffering from a lumbar herniated disk.
A valued member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association, Mr. Jean was appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court to the District IIA Ethics Committee to investigate ethics complaints filed against attorneys. He was also part of the City of Englewood Planning Board.
- 90%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Employment & Labor: Employee
Animal Bites, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Toxic Mold, Trucking Accidents, Employment Law - Employee, Sexual Harassment
- Super Lawyers: 2022
- Rising Stars: 2010 - 2011, 2013
Certificates and Credentials
- New Jersey Board on Attorney Certification
Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney
About Roosevelt Jean
First Admitted: 2004, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.jeanjustice.com/about
- Hunter College of the City University of College of Law, 1999 BA, Cum Laude
- New Jersey Law Journal’s “New Leaders of the Bar” list - formerly known as “40 Under 40.”
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. (Englewood-Teaneck Alumni Chapter), Member
- Finalist in National Trial Competitions hosted by the American Bar Association (ABA), National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) and American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA)
- 2010, 2011, and 2013 designation by New Jersey Monthly Magazine as New Jersey Super Lawyers® - “Rising Stars” in the field of general litigation
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New Jersey
- Roosevelt Jean, Esq., in collaboration with Kelly Castor, Esq. achieved a $600,000 trial recovery for the client - who was a victim of an assault & battery and endured a resulting cervical disc replacement surgery. After hundreds of hours studying all facts and repeatedly rehearsing opening & closing statements and direct & cross-examinations, we presented before Hon. Jeffrey B. Beachum, J.S.C. of the Essex County New Jersey Superior Court prepared to try our case against 3 prominent law firms. Confident in the strength of our case, we remained steadfast in our demand until a fair and reasonable $600,000 offer was extended during jury selection. Top Verdict reported this result as the States’ 55th (tied) highest settlement in their publication entitled, “Top 100 Settlements in New Jersey in 2019.” *ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT. Past results do not guarantee future outcomes, 2019
- Choi v. Kim, 2013 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1178, 2013 WL 2096266 (App. Div. May 16, 2013)
- Osman v. Watson, 2013 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1471, 2013 WL 2922452 (App.Div. June 17, 2013)
- Lamond v. Twp. of Nutley, 2016 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1883 (App. Div. Aug. 11, 2016)
- Heffernan v. City of Paterson, et al., 136 S.Ct. 1412 (2016)
- Roosevelt Jean, Esq. achieved a $900,000 settlement against a national insurance carrier with longtime colleague, Conrad Park, Esq. In this Bergen County, NJ personal injury case, Roosevelt Jean and Conrad Park represented a client suffering catastrophic loss, including traumatic brain injury, cognitive defects, rotator cuff tear requiring surgery, and upper and lower leg fractures requiring internal fixation surgery. Roosevelt’s tenacious trial and litigation skills were key in obtaining critical forensic evidence and expert reports, which convinced the carrier to accept the plaintiff’s pre-trial settlement demand on the eve of trial. Click on the Jury Verdict Review link for more details. *ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT. Past results do not guarantee future outcomes. , 2020
- Roosevelt Jean, Esq. achieved a $400,000 settlement for a client suffering lumbar herniated discs & pinch nerves - resulting in lumbar laminotomy & discectomy surgical repair. In this New Jersey personal injury case, a fair settlement offer was extended only after we conducted the video trial testimony of our orthopedic surgeon expert - demonstrating we were trial-ready. Thrilled with this outcome for his client, he remarked “given the economic uncertainty caused by COVID-19, I was thrilled to obtain closure for my client after years of litigation.” Roosevelt looks forward to sharing future client success stories from the courtroom. *ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT. Past results do not guarantee future outcomes., 2020
- On March 22, 2021, the New Jersey Supreme Court recertified Roosevelt Jean, Esq. a Certified Civil Trial Attorney - an honor shared by approximately 2% of New Jersey lawyers. This year's designation follows Roosevelt’s 2010 and 2015 Certifications by the Court. Since 1980, the Board on Attorney Certification has been helping consumers find attorneys who have a recognized level of competence in particular fields of law. To become certified, attorneys must have: Been a member in good standing of the New Jersey Bar for at least five years; Taken a specific number of continuing legal education courses in the three years prior to filing an application; Demonstrated substantial involvement in the preparation of litigated matters; Demonstrated an unblemished reputation by submitting a list of attorneys and judges who will attest to the applicant's character and ability; and Passed a written examination covering various aspects of practice in the designated specialty. Acknowledging Roosevelt's civil trial prowess, the Court noted, “the Committee’s review of your written application, as well as an independent inquiry, confirms that you demonstrate substantial involvement in civil trial litigation and that you possess the requisite level of knowledge, experience, and skill.”, 2021
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Civil Rights
- police excessive force
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Death
Last Updated: 5/15/2022