Barry D. Szaferman
Top rated family law attorney in Lawrenceville, New JerseySzaferman, Lakind, Blumstein, & Blader, P.C.
Practice Areas: Family law, Business & corporate; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1973
Education: Rutgers School of Law - Camden
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Barry D. Szaferman is a co-managing partner at Szaferman, Lakind, Blumstein & Blader, P.C., and serves on its executive committee. He has managed the firm since he first co-founded it in 1977 and has steered the full-service law firm to success over the past several decades. Despite his management duties, he still plays an active role in legal cases. He primarily handles business valuations, divorce, family law and post-judgment litigation in New Jersey.
Mr. Szaferman first became admitted to the New Jersey State Bar in 1973. Prior to this, he earned a B.A. at Fairleigh Dickinson University. He completed his law degree three years later at Rutgers School of Law–Camden. After graduating from law school, he served as the NJ Deputy Attorney General until leaving to start his private practice.
Since the dawn of his career, Mr. Szaferman has secured positive outcomes for his clients. The families he now represents primarily fall into the high net worth category and have assets as high as $300 million. Over the years, legal organizations, the media and his colleagues have also recognized his contributions to the law. For example, in 2019, BL Rankings, LLC, named him Lawyer of the Year after ranking him among the Best Lawyers in America.
Mr. Szaferman stays active in several legal organizations. He is honored to sit on the Mercer County Matrimonial Early Settlement Panel, and he is always looking for new ways to contribute to the advancement of family law and the benefit of his community.
"*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards."
Practice areasFamily law, Business/corporate
Adoption, Child support, Custody & visitation, Divorce, Father's rights, Business formation and planning, Contracts, Business organizations
- 80% Family law
- 20% Business/corporate
First Admitted: 1973, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: http://www.szaferman.com/attorneys/barry-d-szaferman/
- The list issued by BL Rankings, LLC. Additional recognition is awarded to individual lawyers with the highest overall peer feedback for a specific practice area and geographic region. Only one lawyer is recognized as the "Lawyer of the Year" for each specialty and location, He was offered the "The Best Lawyers in America" List Issued by BL Rankings – Family Law, 2016-2022
- Martindale – Hubbell™ AV Preeminent Rated Attorney – since 1991
- He was offered the "Professional Lawyer of the Year Award", Mercer County -New Jersey State Bar Association, 2001
- He was selected for inclusion in the NJ Super Lawyers List Issued by Thomson Reuters – Family Law, 2020 – 2022 Professional Lawyer, Business/Corporate Law, 2005 – 2017
- The Judge Learned Hand award was established by AJC in 1964 and is presented to leaders in the legal profession for their excellence in, and contributions to, the legal community., Judge Learned Hand Award, AJC, 2014
- This award recognizes an outstanding business leader in the Princeton Mercer Region for their contribution to supporting the Chamber while growing their business and demonstrating the values of being a good corporate citizen, He was offered the "Champion for Business" The Princeton Mercer Regional Chamber of Commerce, 2014
- Award given for outstanding business leadership in the Princeton Mercer Region, He was offered the "Business Leader of the Year Award", The Princeton Mercer Regional Chamber of Commerce, 2018
- Shapiro v. Essex County Bd. of Chosen Freeholders, 91 N.J. 430 (1982)
- Bd. of Chosen Freeholders of Mercer County v. Szaferman, 117 N.J. 94 (1989)
- Shapiro v. Essex County Bd. of Chosen Freeholders, 183 N.J. Super. 24 (App. Div. 1982), aff’d, 91 N.J. 430 (1982)
- McCabe v. Dir. of New Jersey Lottery Comm’n, 143 N.J. Super. 443 (Ch. Div. 1976)
- Mathesius v. Mercer County Imp. Auth., 177 N.J. Super. 626 (App. Div. 1981)
- Hughes v. Hughes,311 N.J. Super. 15 (App. Div. 1998)
- New Jersey
- B.A. from Fairleigh Dickinson University, 1970
Office location for Barry D. Szaferman
101 Grovers Mill Road
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2017, 2020 - 2023