Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Morristown, NJ
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Attorney Anthony Cocca is a founding member and managing partner of the Cocca & Cutinello, LLP, law firm in Morristown, New Jersey. Certified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court, Mr. Cocca has more than 24 years of experience defending the rights and interests of clients facing complex, high-stakes litigation involving a variety of disputes.
While he has gained extensive experience handling all types of general negligence and insurance coverage claims, Mr. Cocca maintains a particular focus on medical and nursing malpractice, and other actions against major health care providers. Throughout the course of his career, he has achieved significant success defending his clients against claims involving birth injuries, wrongful death, falls in health care facilities, surgical errors and hospital negligence, medication errors and other disputes. He has also successfully handled numerous appeals including notable cases resulting in groundbreaking Appellate Division and Supreme Court decisions: Brugaletta v. Garcia, 234 N.J. 225 (2018); Brugaletta v. Garcia, 448 N.J. Super. 404 (App. Div. 2017), aff’d in part, rev’d in part, 234 N.J. 225 (2018); Ptaszynski v. Atl. Health Sys., 440 N.J. Super. 24 (App. Div. 2015), cert. denied, 2016 N.J. LEXIS 988 (2016); Hurwitz v. AHS Hosp. Corp., 438 N.J. Super. 269 (App. Div. 2014), as well as numerous unpublished decisions.
He has also published in his field and lectured to lawyers, Judges and healthcare professionals regarding Medical Malpractice, Nursing Home Act issues, and COVID Healthcare Immunity among other topics.
Along with maintaining a successful trial and appellate practice, Mr. Cocca counsels health care providers on policies and procedures, regulatory compliance and other issues in an attempt to mitigate the possibility of any future disputes arising. He also represents licensed professionals before administrative hearings in order to help them protect their licenses and preserve their careers.
A 1989 graduate of The University of Arizona, Tucson, Mr. Cocca obtained his Juris Doctor from the Western Michigan University-Thomas M. Cooley Law School in 1994. While there, he served as a staff writer for the Michigan Bar Journal's Opinion Notes Section, and he completed an internship as part of the Governor of Michigan's legal counsel. He is admitted to practice in New Jersey and the District of Columbia, as well as the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Cocca serves as co-chair of the New Jersey Defense Association's Appellate Practice Committee. He is also a member of the Morris and Passaic County Bar associations and past member of the Justice Robert L. Clifford American Inn of Court. Furthermore, Mr. Cocca conducts lectures and seminars across his region on topics related to health care law and administration, regulatory compliance and other subjects. He also serves on the Northern New Jersey board of directors for the American Heart Association.
- 80%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Defense
Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Informed Consent, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Defense
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2022
About Anthony Cocca
First Admitted: 1994, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.coccalaw.com/anthony-cocca
- Named to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list, 2018-2019
- Hurwitz v. AHS Hosp. Corp., 438 N.J. Super. 269, (App. Div. 2014), Brugaletta v. Garcia, 234 N.J. 225 (2018)
- Brugaletta v. Garcia, 448 N.J. Super. 404 (App. Div. 2017), aff’d in part, rev’d in part, 234 N.J. 225 (2018)
- Ptaszynski v. Atl. Health Sys., 440 N.J. Super. 24 (App. Div. 2015), cert. denied, 2016 N.J. LEXIS 988 (2016)
- Staff writer, Michigan Bar Journal, Opinion Notes Section, Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Ptaszynski v. Atlantic Health Sys.: The Changing Landscape of NJ Nursing Home and Med Mal Litigation
- University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, B.A., Honors: Primus, The Freshmen Men’s Honorary Society, Alpha Epsilon Pi, 1989
Pro bono/Community Service
- American Heart Association, Northern NJ Board of Directors
- American Heart Association, Executive Leadership Team for the Affair of the Heart Ball
- Morris County Bar Association
- District of Columbia, 2011
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1994
- New Jersey, 1994
- Justice Robert L. Clifford Inn of Court, Past Member
- New Jersey Defense Association, Co-Chair of the Appellate Practice Committee
- Passaic County Bar Association
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney, 2012
- New Jersey Defense Association
Last Updated: 5/15/2022