Top rated Medical Malpractice attorney in Morristown, New JerseyCocca & Cutinello, LLP
Practice Areas: Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1994
Education: The Thomas M. Cooley Law School
Languages Spoken: English, Italian
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Anthony Cocca is a co-founder and the managing partner of the Cocca & Cutinello, LLP, in Morristown, New Jersey. Certified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court, Mr. Cocca has more than 28 years of experience defending complex medical malpractice lawsuits. He also has extensive experience handling general negligence lawsuits for his institutional health care clients.
Mr. Cocca not only focuses on medical and nursing malpractice lawsuits, he also defends health care providers in licensing actions and acts as a consultant to health care facilities regarding regulatory and patient safety act issues. Throughout the course of his career, he has achieved success defending his clients against claims involving birth injuries, wrongful death, falls in health care facilities, surgical errors and hospital negligence, medication errors and other disputes. He has also worked with health care facilities developing polices, procedures and patient safety act programs. In addition, he has successfully handled numerous appeals involving notable cases which resulted in groundbreaking Appellate Division and Supreme Court decisions: Brugaletta v. Garcia, 234 N.J. 225 (2018); Brugaleltta v. Garcia, 448 N.J. Super. 404 (App. Div. 2017), aff’d in part, rev’d in part, 234 N.J. 225 (2018); Ptaszynski v. Atl. Health Sys., 440 N.J. Super. 24 (App. Div. 2015), cert. denied, 2016 N.J. LEXIS 988 (2016); Hurwitz v. AHS Hosp. Corp., 438 N.J. Super. 269 (App. Div. 2014), Burns v. Care One at Stanwick, 468 N.J. Super. 306 (App. Div. 2021), Yagnik v. Premium Outlet Partners, LP, 467 N.J. Super. 91 (App. Div. 2021), as well as numerous favorable unpublished decisions.
He has also published in his field and he has lectured to lawyers, Judges and healthcare professionals regarding Medical Malpractice, Nursing Home Act issues, and COVID Healthcare Immunity among other topics.
A 1989 graduate of The University of Arizona in Tucson, Anthony got his Law Degree from the Western Michigan University-Thomas M. Cooley Law School in 1994. While in Lansing, he was staff writer for the Michigan Bar Journal's Opinion Notes and intern for then Governor of Michigan, John Engler's, legal counsel. He is admitted to practice in New Jersey as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney, in the District of Columbia, and the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Cocca serves as co-chair of the New Jersey Defense Association's Appellate Practice Committee. He is also a member of and Trustee the Morris County Bar association and past member of the Justice Robert L. Clifford American Inn of Court. He also serves on the Northern New Jersey board of directors for the American Heart Association.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - General: Defense
Birth Injury, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Dram Shop Laws, Informed Consent, Medical Malpractice, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Defense, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death
- 80% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Defense
First Admitted: 1994, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.coccalaw.com/anthony-cocca
- Named to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list, 2018-2019
- Hurwitz v. AHS Hosp. Corp., 438 N.J. Super. 269, (App. Div. 2014), Brugaletta v. Garcia, 234 N.J. 225 (2018)
- Brugaletta v. Garcia, 448 N.J. Super. 404 (App. Div. 2017), aff’d in part, rev’d in part, 234 N.J. 225 (2018)
- Ptaszynski v. Atl. Health Sys., 440 N.J. Super. 24 (App. Div. 2015), cert. denied, 2016 N.J. LEXIS 988 (2016)
- Staff writer, Michigan Bar Journal, Opinion Notes Section, Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Ptaszynski v. Atlantic Health Sys.: The Changing Landscape of NJ Nursing Home and Med Mal Litigation
- University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, B.A., Honors: Primus, The Freshmen Men’s Honorary Society, Alpha Epsilon Pi, 1989
- American Heart Association, Northern NJ Board of Directors
- American Heart Association, Executive Leadership Team for the Affair of the Heart Ball
- Morris County Bar Association
- District of Columbia, 2011
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1994
- New Jersey, 1994
- Justice Robert L. Clifford Inn of Court, Past Member
- New Jersey Defense Association, Co-Chair of the Appellate Practice Committee
- Passaic County Bar Association
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney, 2012
- New Jersey Defense Association
Office location for Anthony Cocca
36 Cattano Ave
Morristown, NJ 07960
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2023