John Paul Velez
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Netcong, New JerseyArbore Velez, LLC
Practice Areas: Criminal defense, DUI-DWI, Personal injury
Licensed in New Jersey since: 2004
Education: Howard University School of Law
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
John Paul Velez is a Member with the Netcong, New Jersey, the firm of Arbore Velez, LLC. He devotes approximately 80 percent of his practice to criminal defense and the balance to representing plaintiffs in personal injury cases. Mr. Velez represents clients from Morris County and throughout Northern New Jersey in matters such as DUI/DWI offenses and other felony and misdemeanor charges.
Mr. Velez completed his undergraduate studies at Montclair State University, graduating summa cum laude with a bachelor's degree in history and a minor in political science. He subsequently earned his Juris Doctor from Howard University School of Law, working with the school's Criminal Justice Clinic as a student attorney. While in law school, Mr. Velez was a research assistant for one of his professors, concentrating on issues related to federal criminal law, and he also received a Merit Fellows Scholarship. He is admitted to practice in New Jersey.
Before joining Arbore Velez, LLC, Mr. Velez served as an assistant deputy public defender with the State of New Jersey Office of the Public Defender. During his tenure, he represented both juveniles and adults from their first court appearance through final resolution, including pre-indictment and post-disposition arguments and filings, in cases ranging from criminal mischief to murder charges.
To stay abreast of current developments in his practice areas, Mr. Velez is an active participant in several professional organizations, including the Morris County Bar Association, the New Jersey State Bar Association, the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, and the Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey. He is bilingual and is fully proficient in both Spanish and English.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 50% Criminal defense
- 30% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
- 20% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 2004, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://arborevelez.com/our-team/john-paul-velez/
- Montclair State University, B.A., Summa Cum Laude, Major: History, Minor: Political Science
- Certified as a Mediator
- Research Assistant, Professor Adam Kurland Concentrating in Federal Criminal Law
- Merit Fellows Scholarship Recipient
- Student-Attorney, Howard University Criminal Justice Clinic
- Phi Kappa Phi
- New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, Member
- New Jersey Office of the Public Defender, Assistant Deputy Public Defender
- Morris County Bar Association, Member
Office location for John Paul Velez
123 US Highway 46
Netcong, NJ 07857
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2011 - 2017