Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in New Brunswick, NJ
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
- Free Consultation
Attorney Joseph Surman is the founder and owner of Surman Law, LLC, in New Brunswick, New Jersey. He is the recipient of the 2021 Middlesex County Bar Association Municipal Court Practice Attorney of the Year. A top-rated trial lawyer with more than 13 years of total legal experience, Mr. Surman provides exceptional counsel and support to clients throughout Greater Middlesex County area as well as Monmouth, Ocean, Somerset, and Union counties who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Personal injury and wrongful death claims arising from motor vehicle accidents, trucking accidents, slip-and-fall accidents and other preventable tragedies
· DWI and municipal court defense
· Criminal defense for drug crimes, firearms offenses, and other felonies and misdemeanors
For most of the early part of his legal career, Mr. Surman served as an assistant prosecutor in Middlesex County, where he tried dozens of criminal cases, including 20 jury trials, for a wide range of criminal offenses. He then worked for a prominent civil litigation firm in his area, where he gained invaluable experience with personal injury claims and other complex litigation matters, including defending tortious claims on behalf of insurance companies, municipalities and police departments.
Armed with this experience, Mr. Surman can devise the most effective defense strategy possible for the accused, and he has achieved a long record of securing acquittals, dismissals and reductions of charges for his clients. During the same time, he has also recovered substantial settlements and verdicts for his plaintiff injury clients, and he has gained a reputation for his fierce advocacy and unwavering commitment to helping his clients achieve the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
A 2004 graduate of Rutgers University, Mr. Surman obtained his Juris Doctor in 2007 from Rutgers University School of Law. While there, he served on the executive board of the Hunter Moot Court Program, and immediately after graduation, he served as law clerk to the Honorable Frederick P. DeVesa, P.J. with the Criminal Division in Middlesex County.
A leader in his field, Mr. Surman has facilitated classes with the Middlesex County New Police Officer Training Course as well as for the New Jersey State Bar Association. He also graduated from the intensive Top Gun Undercover Narcotics Officer Training Course and the Finding Words Child Abuse Forensic Interview Protocol, and he has conducted lectures and seminars across his region on a variety of legal topics.
- 40%Criminal Defense
- 40%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20%Administrative Law
Assault & Battery, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Sex Offenses, Criminal Domestic Violence, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Trucking Accidents
- Rising Stars: 2021 - 2022
About Joseph Surman
First Admitted: 2007, New Jersey
- NJ State PBA Legal Protection Plan and State Trooper Fraternal Association Legal Protection Plan, Member
- Rutgers University, 2004
- Top Gun Undercover Narcotics Officer Training Course, Graduate
- , Municipal Court Practice Attorney of the Year, Middlesex County Bar Association, 2021
- , Rising Stars Honoree, Superlawyers, 2021
- Executive Board Member for the Hunter Moot Court Program
- New Jersey State Policemen's Benevolent Association
- State Trooper Fraternal Association
Last Updated: 10/4/2021