Harlan G. York
Top rated immigration attorney in Newark, New JerseyHarlan York and Associates
Practice Areas: Immigration; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1995
Education: Tulane University Law School
Languages Spoken: English, Portuguese, Spanish
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Harlan York and Associates60 Park Place
Newark, NJ 07102 Visit website
Immigration Attorney Harlan York is Former Chair of the Immigration Section of the NJ State Bar Association. Mr. York also was Co-Chair, NY State Bar Association CFLS Committee on Immigration. He served on the American Immigration Lawyers Association National Practice Management Committee. His book "Three Degrees of Law" debuted at #6 in Law Office Education and #4 in Immigration on Amazon.com.
Best Lawyers, the most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession, named Harlan York as the First Ever “Immigration Lawyer of the Year” in the State of New Jersey in 2012. He was named Lawyer of the Year again for 2018, 2020, and 2023.
Mr. York has appeared on national television on CBS This Morning and Primer Impacto on Univision, as well as speaking on a host of immigration issues on Telemundo, NBC, PBS, Fox and Bloomberg Radio. He frequently contributes editorials to The Hill, NJ.com, Law360.com and other media.
He is AV Rated ("Preeminent") by Martindale-Hubbell.
His pro bono work was featured in the HBO documentary Torn Apart: Separated at the Border.
Mr. York notes among his most memorable cases:
- Visa petitions for winners of Emmys, Grammys and Olympic Medals
- Winning deportation cases for immigrants whose children have special needs
- Representation of pro and amateur athletes with their green card applications
- Assisting victims of violence who suffered at the hands of both foreign and domestic aggressors
- Arguing that immigrants with crimes should be allowed to remain in the U.S. upon proving rehabilitation and hardship to their American spouses and children
- Countless successful appeals before federal and administrative courts on issues regarding waivers of removal and political asylum
- Preparing applications for companies sponsoring immigrants in industries ranging from restaurants to construction to agriculture, to academic institutions and research labs
He frequently lectures on Immigration Law, including at Brooklyn, Columbia, New York, Rutgers and Seton Hall Law Schools. He is a well-known speaker at events sponsored by the New Jersey State Bar Foundation and Federal Bar Association. Mr. York was also a Judge at the American Mock Trial Tournament at Yale University.
Mr. York has moderated panels for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, on the topics of “Protecting Immigrant Victims of Violence ” and “Immigration and Crime.”
A graduate of Choate Rosemary Hall, the State University of New York at Albany and the Tulane Law School, Mr. York is fluent in Spanish. He is admitted to many courts including the United States Supreme Court.
*The Best Lawyers in America® 2013. Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasImmigration: consumer, Immigration: business
Asylum, Naturalization & citizenship
- 70% Immigration: consumer
- 30% Immigration: business
First Admitted: 1995, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.ImmigrationLawNJ.com/york.html
- Lecturer, Removal Proceedings, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Section 245i of the Immigration Act, News 12 New Jersey
- Lecturer, Immigration Consequences of Plea Bargains, Federal Bar Association
- Political Asylum and Related Topics, WRKL Radio
- Lecturer, Political Asylum and Gang Activity, Lawline CLE
- Speaker, Detention and Expedited Removal, New York Law School
- Prosecutorial Discretion, Lawline.com
- Immigration and Criminal Law, Hudson County Superior Court
- Asylum Law, Columbia Law School
- Redefining Borders: Comprehensive Immigration Reform in the United States, Rutgers Law Record Symposium
- U Visas, Primer Impacto, Univision (National TV)
- Current Immigration Policy, New Jersey State Bar Foundation
- Moderator, Immigration Law and Crime, New Jersey State Bar Association
- "I am obsessed with our clients' being able to access us" - Article, Immigration Litigation
- Investment Based Immigration, CBS This Morning with Charlie Rose (National News)
- Moderator, Protecting the Victims of Violence, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Benefits for Battered Immigrant Women and Other Crime Victims, Lawline CLE
- Lecturer, Immigration Detention: From Pickup to Release, Lawline.com
- Immigration Law, Telemundo/NBC Live - NY 6PM & 11PM News
- Immigration Law and Police Stops, NJ Network News (PBS TV)
- Expedited Removal, NBC/Telemundo News
- Lecturer, Family Based Immigration, ILW.com
- Immigration Fees Increase, News 12 New Jersey
- Lawline.Com Faculty Awards, Finalist, Driven to Find a Better Way Award
- Lead Counsel, LawInfo.Com
- AV Rated ("Preeminent") , Martindale-Hubbell
- Newsweek Nationwide Top Immigration Attorneys
- US News Best Law Firms, 2010-Present
- Ten Leaders, Immigration Law
- Superb, Avvo
- Best Lawyers in America, 2006-Present
- President's Leadership Award, State University of New York, Albany
- The Furthered 40 - the Top 40 Lawyers Accountants & Entrepreneurs that Further Education in Their Professions
- The First Ever Attorney in the State of New Jersey to be named Immigration Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers.
- Certified Women's Self Defense Instructor Women's Self Defense Institute, 2011 - Present
- State University of New York, Albany Spanish, B.A., Regents Scholar, 1991
- Choate Rosemary Hall (Harris Scholar), 1987
- Former Immigration Chair, New Jersey State Bar Association.
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 1995 - Present
- Tulane Law School Alumni Association
- Former Co-Chair, New York State Bar CFLS Committee on Immigration
- Phi Kappa Sigma Alumni Association
- Former Chair, YLD, American Immigration Lawyers Association, New Jersey Chapter
- Choate Rosemary Hall Alumni Association
- Judge, American Mock Trial Tournament, Yale University
- This is an excerpt from a one hour lecture on the U Visa. The topic here is: How can attorneys obtain helpful documentation from law enforcement agencies that shows evidence of domestic abuse?, Visas for Victims of Violence, 2011
- Excerpt from State Bar Foundation Presentation , Marriage & Family Based Green Cards
- Excerpt from CLE Seminar for LawLine.com, Immigration Detention: From Pickup to Release
- From State Bar Foundation Lecture , Abandonment of Green Cards?
- From a presentation for the State Bar Foundation, O Visas for Aliens of Extraordinary Ability
- From State Bar Foundation Lecture , Waivers of Deportation
- ALL IMMIGRATION CASES
Office location for Harlan G. York
60 Park Place
Newark, NJ 07102
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2006 - 2009