Matthew J. Schiller
Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in Newark, NJ
Selected to Rising Stars: 2017 - 2018
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
As partner at Murphy Schiller & Wilkes LLP, Matthew J. Schiller represents clients in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and elsewhere throughout the region and nation. He is the leader of the leasing, distressed real estate, and opportunity one practice groups within the firm, and he manages the following types of legal cases: commercial leasing (including, industrial leasing, office leasing, retail leasing, and ground leasing), commercial purchase and sale transactions, zoning and redevelopment law, distressed debt, commercial finance, and opportunity zone structural and investment matters.
After graduating with honors from Trinity College with a Bachelor of Arts, Mr. Schiller then moved on to law school. While studying at Washington University in St. Louis, he was the Washington University Journal of Law & Policy’s Associate Managing Editor and graduated with his Juris Doctor. He is currently admitted to practice in the following states: New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
The New Jersey Law Journal named Mr. Schiller a New Leader of the Bar for his successful work with clients in the retail, industrial, multifamily, medical and office industries.
Mr. Schiller is a regular lecturer and moderator for programs within the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education. A Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, he wrote the New Jersey State Bar Association’s leasing chapter in Commercial Real Estate Transactions in New Jersey, 4th Edition.
Mr. Schiller is also currently serving as the Vice-Chair of the Real Property Trust and Estate Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
About Matthew J. Schiller
First Admitted: 2004, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.murphyllp.com/matthew-j-schiller
- Speaker/Moderator: Investing in Opportunity Zones in 2020 (New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, October 2020); Speaker/Moderator: Commercial Real Estate Transactions From A-Z Sponsor: New Jersey Institute of Legal Education (June 2018, June 2019, June 2020); Speaker/Moderator: Commercial Leasing from A-Z (February 2019, February 2020); Speaker/Moderator, Tapping into the Benefits of Opportunity Zones Sponsor: New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Speaker, New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Real Estate Symposium, New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education (April 2020); Speaker, Federal Tax Day Symposium, Sponsor New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education (May 2019); Speaker, Real Estate Transactions from A-Z Sponsor: NBI December 2017; Moderator, Hot Topics in Commercial Real Estate Transactions Sponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 2017; Moderator and Speaker, 21st Century Land Use Challenges Sponsor: Atlantic Builders Convention, April 2017; Speaker, Hot Topics in Commercial Real Estate Transactions Sponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 2016, Presenter, Representing Clients in 21st Century Real Estate Transactions Sponsor: Northeast New Jersey Chapter of the Appraisal Institute – 10th Annual Meadowlands Conference, May 11, 2016 Panelist, A Lawyer’s Guide to New Jersey Residential Real Estate Closings Sponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, November 19, 2015 Panelist, Budgetology: The ‘Science’ of Developing Successful and Cost-Effective Relationships With Outside Counsel Sponsor: Association of Corporate Counsel, New Jersey Chapter (ACCNJ), September 18, 2015 Panelist, Real Estate Transactions from A to Z Sponsor: New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 2015 Speaker, 2015 Real Estate Conference Sponsor: NJICLE, April 23, 2015
- Co-Author, Leasing Chapter of Commercial Real Estate Transactions in New Jersey (2019, 4th Edition), New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- New York
- Fellow - American College of Real Estate Lawyers (2019-present), 2020
- New Jersey
- Member - Board of Consultors, Real Property Trust and Estate Section, NJSBA (Vice President - Real Property - 2012 - Present), 2020
Pro bono/Community Service
- Trinity’s varsity swimming team, Captain
- Pro Bono Counsel - Our House, Inc., 2020
- Trinity College, Hartford, CT, B.A., with honors, 2001
- Washington University Journal of Law & Policy, Associate Managing Editor, 2003
- New Jersey Super Lawyers-Rising Star
- New Leader of the Bar, New Jersey Law Journal, 2017
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers, 2019
- Represented owner in connection with $35 million sale of office building in Florham Park, NJ. , 2020
- Represented owner in connection with $65 million sale of industrial complex., 2020
- Represented senior mezzanine lender in the restructuring of a $107,000,000 senior loan and the negotiation of the Assignment in Lieu of the equity interests of the senior mezzanine borrower of 8 hotels throughout the U.S. , 2020
- Represented Landlord in connection with negotiation of 147,000 SF office/pharmaceutical lease at property in Florham Park, NJ., 2019
- Represented landlord in the negotiation of 155,000 net lease with industrial tenant., 2020
- Represented Purchaser in connection with $11 million acquisition of industrial complex in West Hartford, CT., 2020
- Represented landlord in connection with numerous office and commercial leases at 1,000,000 SF office complex., 2020
- Represented developer in connection for 113 year ground lease for mixed-use redevelopment site., 2019
- Represented private equity firm, as Landlord, in connection with amended and restated lease for build-to-suit 250,000 SF office tower and 150,000 SF data center and conversion of building from a single tenant to a multi-tenant building., 2018
- Represented REIT in connection with $300+ million sale of two (2) office towers in downtown Jersey City and obtaining local approvals for assignment and assumption of PILOT agreements., 2017
- Landlords; Private Equity; Loan Services; Developers
Last Updated: 5/15/2022