Michael J. Plata
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Newark, NJ
Selected to Rising Stars: 2010, 2012 - 2013, 2016 - 2017
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
As the founder and owner of Plata Law Group LLC in Newark, New Jersey, attorney Michael J. Plata provides exceptional representation and support to a diverse range of clients throughout northern New Jersey who have legal needs involving any of the following:
- Business and commercial litigation
- Business and corporate law
- General litigation
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Plata has successfully handled a broad range of matters for his clients, including breaches of contract, partnership and shareholder disputes, business torts, insurance disputes and other issues. He also has extensive experience handling environmental law issues, and he has defended his commercial clients against serious employment law violations and Section 1983 Litigation, as well as assisting them with their complex cases involving franchise law, licensing disputes and other matters.
In addition, Mr. Plata has counseled numerous nonprofits with setting up their organizations correctly and helping them achieve tax-exempt status. He also routinely counsels his commercial clients with their issues involving human resources and employment-related matters, as well as regulatory compliance, corporate governance, cybersecurity, privacy and data protection, intellectual property and trade secret protection, mergers and acquisitions, and more.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Plata has earned consistent top rankings and endorsements from his peers, including designation as a Top Lawyer for Bergen County for commercial litigation. In addition, the Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey bestowed him with the 2016 Professional Lawyers of the Year Award, and he received a listing in the New Jersey Law Journal as among the New Leaders of the Bar for 2015. Moreover, Rutgers Law School awarded him with special recognition at the 2015 Minority Student Program Annual Banquet.
A 1998 graduate of Florida State University, Mr. Plata obtained his Juris Doctor from Rutgers Law School in 2002. He is admitted to practice before all New Jersey state courts, as well as before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, the U.S. Tax Court and the U.S. Supreme Court. He also once served as president of the Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, and he serves on the New Jersey State Bar Association's "New Jersey Lawyer" editorial board Standing Committee and its Amicus Committee.
Outside of his legal practice, Mr. Plata has maintained active involvement in his local Boy Scouts, which honored him with the 2015 Good Scout Leadership Award, and he serves as trustee for the Boys to Leaders Foundation, Inc., as well as trustee for Rutgers Law School's Newark Alumni Association.
About Michael J. Plata
First Admitted: 2002, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.platalegal.com/attorney/plata-michael-jay/
- Florida State University, Honors : magna cum laude, with High Honors
- New Leaders of the Bar, New Jersey Law Journal, 2015
- Boy Scouts of America
- Good Scout Leadership Award, Northern New Jersey Council, 2015
- Selected for inclusion in the New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars list
- Professional Lawyers of the Year Award, New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law for the HBA-NJ, 2016
- Named in New Jersey Law Journal's 2015 listing of New Leaders of the Bar
- Top Lawyer for Bergen County
- Honored with a Special Recognition by Rutgers School of Law - Newark Minority Student Program at its Annual MSP Banquet, 2015
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, New Jersey Lawyer Editorial Board Standing Committee
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, Amicus committee
- U.S. Tax Court, 2011
- U. S. Supreme Court, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2002
- New Jersey, 2002
- President, Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, 2014
Pro bono/Community Service
- Trustee, Boys to Leaders Foundation, Inc.
- Trustee, Rutgers Law School - Newark Alumni Association
- Treasurer, New Jersey Hispanic Bar Foundation
- Practitioner-in-Residence, Rutgers Law School with the Community and Transactional Lawyering Clinic
- Editor-in-Chief, Rutgers Law School, Rutgers Race and the Law Review
Last Updated: 5/15/2022