Shelley L. Stangler
Top rated Civil Rights attorney in Roseland, New JerseyStarr, Gern, Davison & Rubin, P.C.
Practice Areas: Civil Rights, Personal Injury, Schools & Education; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1987
Education: Brooklyn Law School
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Starr, Gern, Davison & Rubin, P.C.105 Eisenhower Parkway
Roseland, NJ 07068-1640 Visit website
Ms. Stangler runs a practice devoted to civil rights, personal injury and special education matters. She is committed to holding the government accountable for misconduct, and is intimately familiar with the law concerning police, corrections and school misconduct. She has won appeals before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, overturning lower court rulings in a jail suicide and special education case. Ms. Stangler is an accomplished trial attorney, having tried multiple premises, motor vehicle and civil rights cases before juries. She has handled several significant excessive force matters and jail suicide cases. She appears in the Office of Administrative Law on special education matters. Some of her more notable cases include successful recoveries to a Bolivian national beaten by an off-duty police officer in Jersey City, who then was subjected to medical negligence in the failure to order a CT Scan resulting in his death, to the estate of a man who died in a correction facility for the failure to properly diagnose and treat drug withdrawal, to a former inmate who was brutally beaten by another inmate by the use of broomsticks that had been permitted for cleaning in the cells.
Ms. Stangler also handles product liability cases where she has obtained seven (7) figure settlements in machine, pool, seat belt and death litigation.
Ms. Stangler sits on the Board of Governors of the New Jersey Association for Justice, a trial lawyer’s bar association (NJAJ). She has been a guest lecturer at ICLE on police misconduct cases, at NJAJ on discovery, and has spoken about special education matters at various related service providers. She currently chairs the education and civil rights committees for NJAJ. She is a past president of Woman Lawyers in Union County and she also serves as a trustee of the Springfield Public Library.
A summa cum laude graduate of Boston University, Ms. Stangler earned a Bachelor of Science in 1977 in broadcasting, film and journalism. She then attended law school and graduated in the top 25% of her class from Brooklyn Law School and participated in the Moot Court Society.
As well as being admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York state courts, Ms. Stangler is admitted to practice before the following federal courts: United States Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of New Jersey, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Practice areasCivil Rights, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Schools & Education, Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Disability, Discrimination, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Police Misconduct, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Race Discrimination, Retaliation, Schools, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Wrongful Termination
- 40% Civil Rights
- 30% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20% Schools & Education
- 10% Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1982, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.stanglerlaw.com/attorney/shelley-l-stangler/
- Springfield Township library board and past president. The Board must evaluate many constitutional issues involving first amendment and other issues of concern; providing community programming and services to the public is part of the mission of the library.
- , Appointed as Co-Chair of Civil Rights and Education Rights committees for the trial bar, the New Jersey Association for Justice
- I represent many individuals seeking assistance in pursuing claims against large insurance, corporate and governmental interests including corrections facilities, schools and law enforcement.
- American Bar Association
- Union County Bar Association
- New Jersey Association for Justice (formerly American Trial Lawyers), Board of Governors, co-chair civil rights and education committees
- Women Lawyers of Union County, Past President
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- New Jersey, 1987
- New York, 1982
- Boston University, Summa Cum Laude, Journalism/Media, Film, Broadcasting, 1977
- lectured on discovery issues in excessive force and police misconduct cases, presenter on police misconduct for ICLE- Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2010
- led moderator panel comprising several lectures for the trial bar - New Jersey Association for Justice, co-chair and moderator of seminar on liens -medicare, medicaid, child support, health carrier, worker comp, ERISA and others, Everything You Wanted To Know About Liens, 2018
- seminar reviewing basic premises liability principles and status of the law, presenter for trial bar - New Jersey Association for Justice- Meadowlands Seminar, Premises Liability, 2011
- lecture exploring how to create a pleading to avoid dismissal in a civil rights case; what claims to bring and why, anticipated presenter for ICLE- on civil rights webinar, Civil Rights - Evaluating Your Pleadings and Claims
- review of Best Practices and how to follow the rules and deal with the deadlines, presenter for trial bar - New Jersey Association for Justice- Meadowlands Seminar, Discovery End Date Review, 2015
- lecture of how to use depositions effectively to win your case, presenter for trial bar - New Jersey Association for Justice- Meadowlands Seminar, Law of Depositions, 2013
- lecture of use of certain discovery tools to achieve objectives, presenter for trial bar - New Jersey Association for Justice- Meadowlands Seminar, Use of Depositions, Admissions, 2010
- Confidential settlement in a jail suicide case that had been appealed to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals; won reversal of Order denying amendment of complaint; precedential opinion in Mullin v. Balicki, 875 F.3d 140 (3d Cir. 2018). , 2019
- Prevailed in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in reversing summary judgment in favor of the school district in a case involving the right of an autistic student to obtain nursing services on the school bus relating to epilepsy. The legal fee application remains pending. E.I.H. v. Fair Lawn School District, 747 Fed. Appx. 68 (3d Cir. 2018), 2018
- Confidential settlement in negligent security case involving parking lot owned by a public entity; plaintiff was assaulted by a third-party criminal in the lot as plaintiff was crossing the lot on his way home. Proofs involved contracts establishing security guards to be retained; criminal activity in the area and prevailing on the issue of governmental immunity for allocation of resources., 2018
- Confidential settlement in a highly contested and legally difficult product liability action against employer - for an intentional tort which crossed the high hurdle of the worker compensation bar to recovery. Loss of several fingers when hands were caught in moving rollers of a steel fabrication machine. Litigated issues of successor company liability against several potential manufacturing entities through summary judgment along with worker comp bar. , 2019
- government accountability for misconduct
Office location for Shelley L. Stangler
105 Eisenhower Parkway
Roseland, NJ 07068-1640
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2023