Eric J. Marcy
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Somerville, NJ
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Eric Marcy is Of Counsel at Lyons & Associates, P.C. with offices in Somerville and Morristown. He previously was a Shareholder at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, PA and, prior to that, was a Deputy Attorney General in the State of New Jersey in the trial and appellate sections of the Division of Criminal Justice. He has handled a wide range of criminal, civil, and administrative litigation. Mr. Marcy focuses on all aspects of State and Federal Criminal Defense Litigation.
His White Collar Criminal Defense practice includes, Civil and Criminal Tax Litigation, Corporate Investigations, Insurance Audits, Subpoena Compliance, Civil Litigation related to Criminal Litigation, Class Action Litigation. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in Civil Rights Litigation. He has lectured extensively on Civil Rights Litigation and police and municipal liability.
His general criminal practice involves all types of Federal, State, and Municipal criminal matters arising out of the Federal Criminal Code, the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice, and Title 39 of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Code. He has experience with sex offense cases and with the filing of motions for relief from the sanctions of Megan’s Law involving registration and community/parole supervision (CSL, PSL) for life.
He has experience with investigations and appeals from actions taken by the New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency (DCPP), formerly known as the Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS).
He has experience with criminal matters involving clients with psychiatric and/or substance abuse issues and has blogged on the use and abuse of “objective” psychological testing in the criminal justice and civil courts.
Mr. Marcy has an active Administrative Law practice involving law enforcement and municipal employees. He has over 25 years of experience with disciplinary proceedings involving law enforcement officers and government employees. Mr. Marcy is an authorized attorney under the New Jersey State PBA Legal Protection Plan, representing law enforcement officers in administrative, civil, and criminal matters. His Administrative Law practice extends to investigations and actions involving professional licensing boards. He has represented doctors, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, nurses, pharmacists, hearing aid dispensers, electricians, and master plumbers involving professional licensing issues. He also provides counsel as to regulatory compliance for professionals. He has blogged on professional licenses and regulatory compliance issues.
He has been involved in representing public and private schools in a variety of litigation areas, including the ADA, IDEA, and related civil rights issues.
He has represented public contractors in prevailing wage investigations and cases.
He has an active practice relating to parole planning and parole litigation. In addition to parole planning in anticipation of parole eligibility, he handles administrative appeals from parole denials, appeals to the New Jersey Superior Court from parole denials, and parole revocation hearings.
Prior to joining Lyons & Associates, P.C., in 2022, Mr. Marcy was a Shareholder at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, PA, (1985-2021) he previously served the State of New Jersey as a Deputy Attorney General in the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice, Department of Law and Public Safety, Office of the Attorney General in the Appellate and Trial sections (1982-1985).
About Eric J. Marcy
First Admitted: 1982, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.lyonspc.com/eric-marcy/
- N.J. State Bar Association, Class Action Committee, 2012-2014
- New Jersey Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, 1987-present, Trustee 2001-2010
- "$800,000 for Faulty Construction" N.J.L.J. Vol. CLXXXVII - No. 13, March 26, 2007
- "$12.1M for Consumer Fraud", 197 N.J.L. 1017, September 28, 2009
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 1982 B.A., Boston College, magna cum laude, 1977
Pro bono/Community Service
- Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital Board of Trustees, Vice Chair 2004-2005, Chairman 2005-2017., 2004
- 2005-2017 - Chairman Board of Trustees, Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital, 49 Koch Avenue, Morris Plains, New Jersey. The Board of Trustees of the Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital are volunteers appointed by the State Board of Human Services, with the approval of the Governor. The Chair position is elected annually by the Board Members. The Board duties included, but not limited to 1) advance long-range planning for the medical care and other programs at Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital 2) maintain general oversight of the Hospital; 3) control and determine the use of Patient Welfare Funds; 4) interpret the mandate and work of the Hospital to the public; 5) advise the Chief Executive Officer; and 6) make recommendations to the Commissioner as it deems necessary with regard to services, lands, buildings and equipment to be furnished by or to the hospital., 2005
- Middlesex County Mental Health Board, Member, 1989-1993, 1989
- Morris County Mental Health Board, Member 1994 to 1996, Chairman 1996-1997, 1994
- National Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New Jersey Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New Jersey State Bar Class Action Committee
- The National Trial Lawyers
Last Updated: 5/15/2022