Top Rated DUI-DWI Attorney in Somerville, NJ
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Attorney James Abate is the founder and owner of The Law Offices of James A. Abate LLC in Somerville, New Jersey, with satellite offices in Cranford and Piscataway. Serving clients throughout the Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon Metro and surrounding areas, Mr. Abate devotes his practice solely to criminal law, and he provides exceptional representation to those who stand accused of DUI, domestic violence, and other felonies and misdemeanors, as well as those who have traffic tickets from cellphone use, speeding, reckless driving and other violations.
Possessing nearly 20 years of legal experience, Mr. Abate has the skills and resources necessary to handle his clients' matters efficiently and affordably, and he delivers uncompromised legal counsel to increase his clients' chances of obtaining the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve. A former prosecutor, he has invaluable insight into the criminal justice system, which enables him to devise the most effective defense strategies possible for the accused.
Among his impressive legal credentials, Mr. Abate holds his certification in Standardized Field Sobriety Tests and Drug Recognition Evaluations from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Through his practice, Mr. Abate seeks to educate those he serves about their legal options, and he has gained a reputation for his compassion when dealing with his clients and providing the highest level of advocacy possible to help them protect their rights and interests and preserve their freedom.
In recognition for his exemplary professionalism and unwavering commitment to his clients, Mr. Abate has earned top rankings from his peers along with a Best of New Jersey designation from The Italian Voice. He has also received "Superb" client ratings on Avvo as well as the site's Clients' Choice Award for several years. Additionally, his law firm has enjoyed numerous testimonials and referrals from those he has successfully served.
After graduating from Brooklyn College in 1996, Mr. Abate attended Brooklyn Law School, where he obtained his Juris Doctor cum laude in 1999. A Dean's List and Markhoff scholar during his time in law school, he received awards in Legal Writing, Constitutional Law, Civil Procedure and Trial Advocacy. His Mock Trial Team placed in the semifinals in 1998, and Mr. Abate also received the Cornelius T. Wickersham award for his outstanding academic achievements.
Licensed to practice in New York and New Jersey, Mr. Abate is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey and the Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd and 3rd Circuits.
He is also a member of several local, state and national legal organizations, including the Somerset and Union County Bar Associations, the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, The National Association of Subrogation Professionals, and the American Bar Association's Tort, Insurance, Business, Litigation and Property Sections, among his other professional affiliations.
DUI/DWI, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Sex Offenses, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence, Domestic Violence
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2022
About James Abate
First Admitted: 2000, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.jabatelaw.com/attorney-profile/james-a-abate-esq...
- Review of James A. Abate
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Clients Choice Award, Avvo, 2013
- Best of New Jersey, The Italian Voice, 2014
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- New York
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- New Jersey
- American Bar Association, Tort, Insurance, Business, Litigation and Property Sections
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, Somerset County Bar Association- Criminal/ Municipal Practice and DWI Committee New Jersey Bar Association- Municipal Court and DWI Practice Committee, 2005
- New York Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Union County Bar Association
- Somerset County Bar Association
- Elected Jr. Legislative Chair, N.J. State Bar Association, Municipal Court Practice Section, 2019
- James Abate has been granted admission to the National College of DUI Defense. The National College for DUI Defense, Inc. (NCDD) is a professional, non-profit corporation dedicated to the improvement of the criminal defense bar, and to the dissemination of information to the public about DUI Defense Law as a specialty area of law practice. College members represent the most experienced DUI defense attorneys in the country. The original Founding Members funded the establishment of the college, and are among the top DUI practitioners in the United States. Since its founding, the College continues to recognize, as Sustaining Members, defense lawyers who have demonstrated the skill and experience of the original Founding Members, as well as the generosity to financially sustain the growth of the NCDD. General Members are the backbone of the college—capable, experienced attorneys who dedicate a portion of their practice to the defense of DUI cases throughout the country. When the National College for DUI Defense was founded, the Board of Regents envisioned a Board Certification program as the culmination of its program of education. In 1999, the Board instituted Board Certification as a means of recognizing lawyers within the college who exemplify the program’s standards, and who meet the criteria established by the Board of Regents: extensive experience trying DUI cases and litigating pre-trial issues, a broad knowledge of the science involved in testing for intoxicants, and a command of the legal process on which DUI cases are framed, 2015
- Elected as member of Board of Directors to Municipal Court Practice Committee to State Bar Association. This committee reviews pending legislation that effects the municipal courts, where disorderly persons offenses, aka misdemeanor and DWI offenses, 2016
- Deans List, Brooklyn Law School, 1997
- Certified in the administration of the NHTSA Drug Recognition Evaluations
- Certified in the administration of the NHTSA Standardized Field Sobriety Tests
- Semifinalist, Trial Team, Brooklyn Law School, 1998
- ATLA Trial Team- Regional Semifinalist, 1999
- Graduation awarded for outstanding contributions to trial advocacy, Cornelius T. Wickersham award, Brooklyn Law School, 1999
- Markhoff Scholar, Brooklyn Law School, 1997
- Awards for outstanding student in Law School Class, Constitutional Law, Legal Writing, Civil Procedure and Trial Advocacy, West Publishing Awards, Brooklyn Law School, 1997
- B.F.A., Brooklyn College, 1996
Pro bono/Community Service
- Judge in the Vincent J. Apruzze moot court tournament in the Somerset county rounds., 2014
- Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Attorney Certification, 2018
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (NHTSA) Drug Recognition Expert (NHTSA), 2017
- National College For DWI Defense; New Jersey Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers; Somerset Bar A
Last Updated: 5/25/2022