Theresa A. Lyons
Top rated family law attorney in Somerville, New JerseyLyons & Associates, P.C.
Practice Areas: Family law; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 2002
Education: Rutgers School of Law - Camden
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Lyons & Associates, P.C.76 East Main Street
Somerville, NJ 08876 Visit website
Terry graduated from Rutgers School of Law with High Honors. She also has a Master’s Degree in Social Work, receiving special distinction from the dean as the “Most Outstanding Administration, Policy, and Planning Student” upon graduation.
Having been featured in over 250 news and media outlets across the globe, Terry is trailblazer with a strong reputation. She enjoyed a judicial clerkship with The Honorable Peter G. Verniero, a now-retired Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, New Jersey’s highest state court. Terry has authored and published numerous articles on a wide variety of topics like family law, the admissibility of expert testimony in federal courts, and free speech on the Internet. She also is author of the best-selling book Sticks and Stones, Life Lessons from a Lawyer. Terry also has weighed in on many far reaching social topics, including the Ashley Madison scandal (read here) and how to handle COVID vaccine disagreements among parents (read here).
In addition to founding the firm and chairing its matrimonial practice, Terry has taught and lectured across the country, including at the Graduate School of Social Work at Rutgers University. She is recognized as a leader among the bar, recently being appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court to serve on the state-wide Board of Continuing Legal Education.
Terry has received countless awards, including New Jersey Super Lawyers , “Top 10 Best Female Attorneys” from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, and Top 25 Leading Women Entrepreneurs.
Terry also gives back to the community. She has served on the Board of Trustees for WINGS for Growth and SAFE in Hunterdon, and presently serves on the Political Action for Candidate Election (PACE) and Legislative and Social Action (LASA) Committees on behalf of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association of Social Workers. Terry also was awarded the “Partners in Hope Award” from Partners for Women and Justice for her amicus work at the New Jersey Supreme Court and the “Philanthropic Award” from Binnacle House for leading the charge on certain capital improvements.
Ms. Lyons is admitted to practice in New Jersey State Court, New Jersey Federal Court, and the United States Supreme Court in April 2012.
In her personal life, Ms. Lyons is a foster and adoptive parent. She enjoys baking and driving her RV, whom she affectionally calls “Bubba.”
Practice areasFamily law
Adoption, Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 2002, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://www.lyonspc.com/theresa-a-lyons/
- Ms. Lyons has authored and published numerous articles on a wide variety of topics like family law, the admissibility of expert testimony in federal courts, and free speech on the Internet. She also is author of the book Sticks and Stones, Life Lessions from a Lawyer, which made Best Seller on Amazon. Ms. Lyons was featured in over 250 news and media outlets accross the globe for her article In Wake of Ashley Madison Hack, Verteran Matrimonial Lawyer, Theresa Lyons Tells how to Respond to Cheating. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/in-wake-of-ashley-madison-hack-veteran-matrimonial-lawyer-theresa-lyons-tells-how-to-respond-to-cheating-300116600.html
- Certified Matrimonial Attorney from the New Jersey Supreme Court
- Woodbridge Divorce Lawyers: Collaborative Divorce — What They Don’t Tell You
- Woodbridge Family Law Lawyers: Kids Of Divorce More Likely To Be Obese
- New Jersey Divorce Lawyers: Divorce Rates By Job
- Woodbridge Child Support Lawyers: Does My Child Support Automatically End When My Kid Graduates from School?
- New Jersey Family Law Firm: Divorce and Special Needs Children
- Rutgers University Graduate School of Social Work, Visiting Part Time Lecturer, 2007
- Once Upon a Daubert Hearing: The Admissibility of Novel Theories, 3 Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. Expert Evidence Report 15, 369 , 2003
- When Reasonable Efforts Hurt Victims of Abuse: Five Years of the Adoption and Safe Families Act of 1997, 26 Seton Hall Legislative Journal 2, 391, 2002
- Scientology or Censorship: You Decide: An Examination of the Church of Scientology, Its Recent Battles with Individual Internet Users and Service Providers, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and the Implications for Free Speech on the Web, 2 Rutgers J, 2000
- Top 10 best female attorneys
- Recognition of Outstanding Dedication to Improving the Lives of Women, Partners for Hope, Partners for Women and Justice, 2007
- Notable Networker, Business Networking International, 2010
- Domestic Violence Resource Center, Somerset County
- SAFE, Board of Trustees
- Rutgers University, Master's Degree, Major: Social Work, 2001
- United States Supreme Court, 2012
- New Jersey Federal Court
- New Jersey State Court
- Somerset County Bar Association, 2006
- Business Networking International
- Entrepreneurs' Organization
- National Association Of Social Workers
- NJ LGBT Chamber
- Woman To Women
Office location for Theresa A. Lyons
76 East Main Street
Somerville, NJ 08876
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2006 - 2009, 2011
Certificates and credentials
Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney