Howard A. Matalon
Top rated employment & labor attorney in Summit, New JerseyOlenderFeldman LLP
Practice Areas: Employment & labor, Employee benefits, Employment litigation; view more
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1991
Education: Boston University School of Law
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
OlenderFeldman LLP422 Morris Avenue
Summit, NJ 07901 Visit website
Howard A. Matalon is an employment law attorney and partner at the law firm of OlenderFeldman LLP in Summit, New Jersey with over 30 years of experience in his fields of expertise. From startups to Fortune 500 companies, he assists businesses to chart a way forward by guiding them in matters such as hiring and termination, benefits and compensation, work environment under federal and state laws, executive and workforce training, and other employment and human resource matters.
Mr. Matalon pursued his Bachelor of Arts with a concentration in philosophy and Latin and graduated summa cum laude from Brandeis University in 1988. He then attended the Boston University School of Law and earned his Juris Doctor cum laude in 1991. He qualified to practice in New Jersey the same year and later in New York.
A respected attorney for the past three decades, Mr. Matalon has an impressive track record and offers thoughtfully tailored solutions to his clients. He is certified as a “Professional in Human Resources” by the HR Certification Institute, a premier credentialing organization for the human resource profession. Howard is also distinguished by the fact that he is a true 360 Employment attorney, representing both businesses and career executives, in order to maximize human capital asset value for mutual benefit.
Before partnering with his current law firm, Mr. Matalon served as a judicial clerk for New Jersey Supreme Court Justice Alan B. Handler. He later worked at several other New Jersey law firms where he gained extensive employment litigation experience. He represented employers in cases pertaining to ADA, ADEA, wage and hour issues, Equal Pay Act and ERISA.
As an outside counsel, Mr. Matalon also assisted small- and medium-sized private businesses with regulatory compliance, licensing and nondisclosure agreements.
Practice areasEmployment & labor: employer, Employee benefits, Employment litigation: defense
Wage & hour laws, Whistleblower, Sexual harassment, Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, Employment law - employer
- 40% Employment & labor: employer
- 30% Employee benefits
- 30% Employment litigation: defense
First Admitted: 1991, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://olenderfeldman.com/our-people/howard-a-matalon/
- I was interviewed by Forbes on my approach to employment agreements. I did not know where this otherwise should be recognized on the Superlawyers profile. https://www.forbes.com/sites/matzucker/2019/11/10/reading-the-fine-print/?sh=59cb947e15f4
- Note Editor of the Boston University Law Review
- As states begin to relax their business restrictions in anticipation of an eventual resumption of normal operations, employers must make critical decisions now as to the focus of the enterprise as well as the reintegration of its employees in a post COVID world. Indeed, the former consideration may require wholesale restructuring of the business, as its “virtual footprint” becomes the principal means of generating revenue and managing the workforce. Returning employees to work presents equally important business considerations that will require the introduction of new best practices in the form of a workforce reintegration plan to prepare employees for a successful and safe return. This proactive plan will necessarily include policies and procedures aimed at compliance with the new Covid-19 legal requirements mandated by federal and state law, as well as to adjust and adapt the workforce and the workplace environment to the new health and safety concerns and conditions of a post-pandemic business, Developing Reintegration Policies, All, 2019
- Brandeis University, Bachelor of Arts with summa cum laude, 1988
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certified by the HR Institute, 2019
- , UPWARD EVENT – EMPLOYMENT NEGOTIATIONS FOR FEMALE EXECUTIVES, FEBRUARY 15, 2022, All Industries, 2021
- This webinar was given to ExecThread members to discuss my work in executive coaching as to how to shift thinking in employment negotiations., Employment Negotiation Mindset Shifts, All Industries, 2022
- Leveraging the Lockdown, Employment, 2020
- Entrepreneur's Organization -- Governance Chair, 2021
- In this position I coach executives in their career journeys and assist them in their professional development by ensuring that they capture their value in their hiring and separation decisions.
- This is my third successive year as Chair for the Entrpreneur's Organization and I am thrilled to be serving in the role of helping entrepreneurs in New Jersey be successful in our chapter. The engagement chair role is critical to the organization because it serves the onboarding function of bringing new members into the chapter and ensuring that they come up to speed quickly.
- New York
- New Jersey
- Technology Services
Office location for Howard A. Matalon
422 Morris Avenue
Summit, NJ 07901
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023