Maurice W. McLaughlin
Top rated employment & labor attorney in Totowa, New JerseyMcLaughlin & Nardi, LLC
Practice Areas: Employment & labor, Business litigation, Construction litigation
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1995
Education: New York University School of Law
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Handling a wide range of matters, including complex negotiations, litigation and transactions, Maurice McLaughlin is a founding member of the Totowa, New Jersey, law firm McLaughlin & Nardi, LLC. His practice concentrates on employment and commercial law. Mr. McLaughlin has been an adjunct professor with Farleigh Dickinson University since 1999, teaching courses in law, ethics and communications.
Mr. McLaughlin received his law degree from New York Law School cum laude, where he served as an editor on the Law Journal. He is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and its commercial and employment law sections; he is the past chair of its pro bono committee.
Mr. McLaughlin has been appointed by the Superior Court of New Jersey to mediate disputes between private parties as well as train new mediators. He is admitted to the bars of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and the United States Supreme Court. He has practiced in state, federal and administrative courts throughout the Northeast and leads the firm’s litigation practice.
Mr. McLaughlin is an acknowledged expert on employment law, and is the author of the two volume treatise New Jersey Public Employment Law, published by Gann Law Books.
Practice areasEmployment & labor: employee, Business litigation, Construction litigation: business
- 40% Employment & labor: employee
- 30% Business litigation
- 30% Construction litigation: business
First Admitted: 1995, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: http://www.esqnj.com/lawyer-attorney-1894438.html
- Arbitrator, District XI, New Jersey Fee Arbitration Committee. 2019-present
- Commissioner, Bloomfield Commission on Civil and Human Rights, 2018-2021
- Member, New Jersey Association for Justice
- Chair, Standing Committee on Pro Bono, New Jersey State Bar Association, 2006 - 2010
- New York, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
- Member, Suburban Essex Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Business Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Massachusetts, 2002
- Author, New Jersey Public Employment Law (Gann Law Books, 1st ed. 2012), 2012
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Dispute Resolution Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- U.S. Tax Court, 2004
- New Jersey, 1995
- Member, Standing Committee on Pro Bono, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Mr. McLaughlin represents a broad range of people, from executives and business owners to employees in both the public and private sector. He also represent a broad range of businesses, from contractors and "mom and pop" shops, to international corporations.
- Maurice McLaughlin has represented a wide range of people and businesses in litigation, achieving successful settlements, judgments and verdicts.
- Voices of the Bar: Disparate Impact Discrimination Claims Are Nothing New, N.J. Law Journal, Aug. 6, 2001
- Harassment Policies: How Safe a Haven? N.J. Lawyer, September 9, 2002
- Holding Supervisors Liable Under the Law Against Discrimination, N.J. Law Journal, July 3, 2000
- A Justice Gap and a Bar's Response, In re Magazine, New Jersey Lawyer, August 9, 2008
- When Is a Volunteer Not a Volunteer? An Individual May Not Be a Volunteer and a Paid Employee at the Same Job for the Same Public Entity, N.J. Law Journal, March 24, 2003
- Voices of the Bar: ‘Backlogged before the End of Discovery? N.J. Law Journal, September 30, 2002
- Author of treatise tentatively entitled Public Employment Law in New Jersey: Civil Service Edition, with a projected publication date of 2014, by Gann Law Books, Newark, NJ
- Application of the Continuing Violation Doctrine Under Title VII and New Jersey’s Law Against Discrimination, Rutgers Law Journal, May 16, 2002 (with James McGovern)
- , Author, New Jersey Public Employment Law , Gann Law Books, 2012
- Drastic Changes to New Jersey's Tenure System, N.J. Law Journal, March 25, 2013.
- The Questionable Viability of the New Business Rule as a Bar to Lost Profits, New Jersey State Bar Association Business Law Newsletter, January 2012
- Liquidated Damages in Employment Contracts, N.J. Law Journal, March 6, 2000
- Mount Saint Mary's College, Emmitsburg, MD, May 1984
- Morris Pashman Inn of Court, Hackensack, NJ, May 2002
- New York University School of Law, New York, NY, May 1996, LL.M.
- New Jersey Institute of Continuing Education, New Brunswick, New Jersey 1995 – present, various continuing legal education
- New York Law School, New York, NY, February 1995, J.D., cum laude
- Advanced Mediation Training, New Jersey Institute of Continuing Education, New Brunswick, New Jersey 1995 – present
- , New Jersey Civil Service Commission Disciplinary Appeals, Government Employees, 2020
- , McLaughlin & Nardi, LLC is open and ready to help New Jersey Businesses during Coronavirus Pandemic, 2020
- , Current Covid Issues, 2020
- , New Jersey Civil Service Commission Psychological Appeals, Government Employees, 2020
- New Jersey Association For Justice
- Suburban Essex Chamber Of Commerce
Office location for Maurice W. McLaughlin
37 Vreeland Avenue
Totowa, NJ 07512
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023