Jeffrey Evan Gold
Top rated DUI-DWI attorney in Trenton, New JerseyHelmer, Conley & Kasselman, P.A.
Practice Areas: DUI-DWI, Criminal defense
Licensed in New Jersey since: 1981
Education: Rutgers School of Law - Camden
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
Jeffrey Evan Gold has been called "the dean" of New Jersey drunk driving lawyers (Star-Ledger, 2011). With over 30 years of experience in Criminal and DWI charges, Jeff Gold has defended over 8,000 criminal cases (2,000 drunk driving cases.) He is certified in both Alcotest MkIIIc breath testing and NHTSA field sobriety testing. He is well known throughout the State of New Jersey as a leader in defense work. In fact, he is the only lawyer to have been awarded the New Jersey State Bar's highest award in Municpal Court practice two times. He teaches Advanced DWI courses throughout the State. Jeff Gold is well known in New Jersey as a lawyer's lawyer.
In addition to being named Municipal Court “Attorney of the Year” by the N.J. State Bar Assn. in 2012, 2008 and 2004. He was also awarded the New Jersey State Bar’s “ Amicus Curiae Award” in 2015, 2013, and 2008 and the NJICLE Distinquished Speakler Award in 2013. Mr. Gold has twice been Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Municipal Court Practice Section, three times Chair of the Burlington County Bench and Bar Criminal Law Committee and four times as Chair of the Municipal Court Committee. He was also appointed Chair of the Municipal Court Committee of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer- New Jersey. He has been moderator and speaker at countless seminars on DWI, DUI, Drunk Driving, Criminal Law, Municipal Court, etc. Mr. Gold is also a former Asst. Burlington County Prosecutor and was a Police Academy instructor on the subject of Search and Seizure.
Mr. Gold is also a frequent TV Legal Analyst and has appeared many times on such cases as O.J. Simpson, Michael Jackson, Martha Stewart, Scott Peterson, Jon-Benet Ramsey, and many others .
Mr. Gold is admitted to practice in all New Jersey Courts as well as the 3rd Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States. He has had a number of opinions published on his cases and has appeared before the New Jersey Supreme Court several times.
He was lead defense counsel in State v. Foley, 370 N.J. Super. 341 (Law Div. 2004) the first case in the U.S. to restrict the use of the new “Alcotest 7110″ breath testing device used in drunk driving (i.e. DWI, DUI) cases.
He was lead amicus (friend of the court) counsel for the New Jersey State Bar Association in the landmark case State v Chun, 194 N.J. 54 (2008) where, due in large part to Mr. Gold's tireless efforts, the N.J. Supreme Court eventually placed many strict conditions on the use of the Alcotest as evidence in DWI cases in NJ.
The State Bar called on him once again in 2011 to be their amicus counsel before the Supreme Court in State v Ciancaglini, 204 N.J. 597 (2011) where, in accord with Mr. Gold's position, the Court reversed the lower court's ruling that Refusal to take a breath test should be treated as a "prior" DWI for sentencing.
Mr. Gold also represented the CDS defendant in the successful appeal State v. Sparks, 261 NJ Super. 458 (App. Div. 1993) holding the State could not use a lab report to prove drug defendant’s guilt without complete and strict adherence to the statutory procedure for doing so first.
First Admitted: 1981, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: http://www.jeffgoldlaw.com
- 2004 NJSBA Pro Bono - honroable mention, 2004
- Has tought over 30 seminars on DWI as well other criminal law subjects.
- New Jersey Lawyer Magazine article outlining very condition on the admissiblilty of an Alcotest breath test reading in New Jersey courts., Author, Conditons on Admitting an Alcotest Reading, 2010
- Past Chair Burlington County Bar Association Municipal Court Bench and Bar Committee
- Chair, New Jersey State Bar Municipal Court Practice Section, 2011
- Chair, New Jersey State Bar Municipal Court Practice Section, 2009
- Chair, Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers- NJ, Municipal Court Practice Committee, 2011
- Past Chair, Burlington County Bar Association Criminal Practice Bench and Bar Committee
- Rutgers Law Camden, 1981
- Certified Alcotest 7110 MkIIIc Operator/ Coordinator Level Training, 2009
- Certified DWI Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, 2009
- NJSBA Amicus Award, 2015
- 2008 NJSBA Municipal Court Practitioner of the Year. Awarded by the New Jersey State Bar Asscoaition to a lawyer, judge or prosecutor who has shown extraordinary dedication to N.J. Municipal Court Practice through academic, pro bono, and other means above and beyond daily practice. Mr. Gold is the only individual to have won this award twice, having first been honored in 2004., NJSBA Municipal Court Practitioner of the Year, New Jersey State Bar Association, 2008
- 2004 Honorable mentioin for 2004 New Jersey State Bar Association Pro Bono Award for pro bono efforts in teh matter of State v Foley, NJSBA Pro Bono Award- honorable mention, New Jersey State Bar Association, 2004
- for work before the Supreme Court, NJSBA Amicus Award, 2013
- NJSBA Amicus Award, 2016
- 2008 NJSBA Amiucs Award. Awarded by the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA) for extraordinary voluntary Contribution to the Amicus Efforts of the NJSBA in State v Chun, 194 N.J. 54 (2008), NJSBA Amicus Award, New Jersey State Bar Association, 2008
- NJSBA Municipal Practice Award, 2012
- NJSBA Amicus Award, 2014
- AMICUS AWARD, NJSBA, 2018
- 2004 NJSBA Municipal Court Practitioner of the Year. Awarded by the New Jersey State Bar Asscoaition to a lawyer, judge or prosecutor who has shown extraordinary dedication to N.J. Municipal Court Practice through academic, pro bono, and other means above and beyond daily practice. Mr. Gold is the only individual to have won this award twice, having first been honored in 2008 as well., NJSBA Municpal Court Practitioner of the Year, New Jersey State Bar Association, 2004
- For work before the Supreme Court , NJSBA Amicus Award, 2011
- , The Gold Patrol, 2020
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2021