Deborah A. Peacock
Top Rated Intellectual Property Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
President/CEO and managing partner of Peacock Law P.C., Deborah A. Peacock is an intellectual property attorney who represents clients in New Mexico, Colorado and New York. She handles transactions related to technology, and business and legal issues related to intellectual property, patenting (worldwide), licensing, joint ventures, complex transactions, global trademarks and branding, franchising, and commercialization of leading-edge and disruptive technologies. During her career, Ms. Peacock has worked with clients in a long list of industries, including mining, metallurgy, chemical and mineral processing, environmental, semiconductor, oil and gas, water treatment, utilities, energy, lasers, alternative energy, acoustic, optics, outer space, aerospace, food and beverage, social media, consumer products, cybersecurity, blockchain/cryptocurrency, and 3D printing.
In 1978, Ms. Peacock graduated with the highest honors from the Colorado School of Mines with a Bachelor of Science in Metallurgical Engineering. She then attended Harvard Law School, where she obtained a Juris Doctor in 1985. Currently she is a registered U.S patent attorney and a Registered Professional Engineer in Colorado and New Mexico.
Admitted to practice in Colorado, New Mexico and New York, Ms. Peacock has received the YWCA Women on the Move Award, the Power Broker Award, the Ethics in Business Award and the Women of Distinction Award. For her high ethical standards and long list of successful results, she holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell.
Ms. Peacock was appointed by the governor to the Mining Safety Board, and is a member of the International Trademark Association, the Association of University Technology Managers, the International Women’s Forum, and the Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration. She is also an independent director for the New Mexico Gas Company, Emera Technologies, LLC, Westwater Resources, and THEMAC Resources/New Mexico Copper Corporation (utilities, microgrids, copper, graphite, energy transition materials).
Ms. Peacock has been awarded the *AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable, which are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 50%Intellectual Property
- 10%Business Litigation
- 10%Intellectual Property Litigation
- 10%Technology Transactions
Copyrights, Patents, Trademarks, Intellectual Property Law, Trade Secret, Non-Compete Agreements, Contracts, Science and Technology Law
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2009, 2016 - 2022
About Deborah A. Peacock
First Admitted: 1985, New Mexico
Professional Webpage: https://peacocklaw.com/Deborah-A-Peacock/
- Banyan Infrastructure (blockchain), Advisory Board, 2018-Present
- Emera Technologies, LLC, Independent Director, 2018-Present
- New Mexico Gas Company (Emera, $10B market cap), Independent Director, 2017-Present
- THEMAC Resources Group/New Mexico Copper Corporation ($5M market cap), Independent Director, 2014-Present
- New Mexico
- New York
Pro bono/Community Service
- International Women’s Forum (New York and New Mexico)
- New Mexico Amigos
- Belizean Grove
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), Governance Fellow
- Women Corporate Directors (Greater New Mexico Chapter), 2014-Present
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Licensing Executives Society
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- Association of Safety Engineers
- Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME)
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
- New Mexico and National Society of Professional Engineers
- Chair, Environmental Improvement Board (EIB), appointment by Governor, 2011-2014
- Substantial involvement in the Community and has received several awards for community service. Currently on the following community Boards: Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, Arrowhead Innovation Center, New Mexico Angels. Deborah also serves on two boards as appointments from Governor Martinez: New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology and New Mexico Mining Safety Board.
- YWCA Women on the Move Award
- Women of Distinction Award
- Flywheel Venture’s Red Paperclip Award
- Deborah has received the following awards: Colorado School of Mines Distinguished Alumni Award, Governor's Distinguished Public Service Award, Engineer of the Year Award (NM Society of Professional Engineers), Governor's Award for Volunteerism, New Mexico Business Weekly's Power Broker, Women Who Mean Business and Technology awards, Best of the Bar, and State Bar Best Employer.
- Quality of Life Employer Award
- Who’s Who in Technology
- Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- New Mexico Distinguished Public Service Award
- Best Lawyers in America Recognition, 1997-Present
- Super Lawyer’s Recognition, 2008-Present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV (highest rating), 2006-Present
- Registered Professional Engineer in both New Mexico and Colorado
- Registered U.S. Patent Attorney (Federal), No. 31,649
- New Mexico State University (Arrowhead Center - tech transfer arm), Flywheel Ventures, New Mexico Angels, Verge Fund, FormFactor, Moon Express, the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, Rocket Racing League, Spaceport America, State of New Mexico (Rail Runner)
Other Outstanding Achievements
- The Ethics in Business Award is the most prestigious community award. Also received the Colorado School of Mines Alumni Achievement Award and Engineer of the Year Award. Also, see other awards, above.
- Colorado School of Mines, B.S., Major: Metallurgical Engineering, Honors: With Highest Honors, 1978
- Throughout her career, Deborah Peacock has negotiated and completed thousands of licenses, distribution agreements, acquisitions and other corporate transactions, primarily representing smaller companies and universities.
- Author, Mining on the Moon; Yes, it's really going to happen, SME, Mining, 2017
- Discussion of engineering technologies and future trends in aerospace and outer space, and including outer space laws. Aerospace and Outer Space Law for Engineers, New Mexico Society of Professional Engineers, 2015, Aerospace and Outer Space Law for Engineers, New Mexico Society Of Professional Engineers, 2015
- Speaker: and Chapter in, We Got Mojo!: Stories of Inspiration and Perspiration, 2015
- Consumer Products
- Dental & Dentistry
- Internet & Software
- Life Sciences & Chemical
- Materials Science & Metallurgy
- Mining & Minerals Processing
- Public Safety
- Regulatory & FDA
- Security & Defense
- The Arts & Jewelry
Last Updated: 5/15/2022