Donald F. Harris
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Virtual Appointments
Donald F. Harris is the principal attorney at New Mexico Financial Law. He is in Albuquerque, with a client base that comes from Bernalillo, Santa Fe, Sandoval and Valencia counties. He divides his practice among business and consumer bankruptcy and other forms of debt relief, family law matters, and general business litigation. Mr. Harris has been certified as a specialist in both business bankruptcy law and consumer bankruptcy law by the American Board of Certification.
In his bankruptcy practice, Mr. Harris has extensive experience with filings under Chapter 7, Chapter 11 and Chapter 13. He is the former chair of the bankruptcy law section of the State Bar of New Mexico, and he has testified on related matters before the National Bankruptcy Review Commission as well as before Congress. In addition, he is the founder of the States Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys.
In regard to family law, Mr. Harris helps people whose marriages are coming to an end and who are struggling with such issues as child custody and visitation, alimony, child support, and the division of business ownership interests and other complex financial assets. Highly regarded by his fellow attorneys for both his successful track record and high degree of ethics, he has received an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a 10.0 "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo.
Majoring in music management, Mr. Harris attended the University of Hartford and received a bachelor’s degree in 1986. His legal education came at the University of Connecticut School of Law, also in Hartford, and he was awarded his law degree in 1990. Mr. Harris is admitted to practice in New Mexico and before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico, and he serves on the Albuquerque City Council.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights, Bankruptcy Law, Will Contests, Probate & Estate Administration
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2018, 2020 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
- Prepared Statement of Donald F Harris (1999) - Statement prepared for Donald Harris's Congressional Testimony
- Family Law Manual, Intersection With Bankruptcy (2011) - Chosen by the New Mexico Judicial Education Center and the Institute of Public Law at UNM Law School to write a chapter in the Family Law Manual, desiged for generalist state court judges and for members of the bar.
About Donald F. Harris
First Admitted: 1990, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://nmfinanciallaw.com/about-don-harris/
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Family Law Section, New Mexico State Bar
- Member, Judicial Secition Committee, New Mexico State Bar
- President, States’ Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Member, New Mexico Collaborative Practice Group
- Member, Bankruptcy Law Section
- Member, New Mexico Bankruptcy Court, Local Rules Committee
- Member, International Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Former President, Bankruptcy Law Section, New Mexico State Bar
- Former Barrister, Oliver Seth Inn of Court
- Founder, States’ Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Member, Editorial Board, Connecticut Journal of International Law, University of Connecticut School of Law
- AV Rated, Martindale Hubbell, 2016
- Honored by the New Mexico State Bar, Judicial Selection Committee
- Highest Grade Received, Commercial Law, University of Connecticut School of Law
- Certified Specialist, Business Bankruptcy Law, American Board of Certification
- Certified Specialist, Consumer Bankruptcy Law, American Board of Certification
- Hartt School of Music, Bachelor of Music Degree, Jazz Saxophone Player, 1987
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Testified before the National Bankruptcy Review Commission in San Diego, October 1996., 1996
- Testified before Congress on Bankruptcy Reform, March 19, 1999, before the House Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law, 1999
- Author, Raleigh v. Illinois Dep't of Revenue, Raleigh Bankruptcy Advisor, 2000
- Author, Prisoners of Prestige, Journal of the Legal Profession, 1992
- Co-Author, Bankruptcy Jurisdiction and Jury Trials, Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal, 1991
- Bowers v. J&M Towing, 472 F.Supp2d 1248 (D.N.M. 2006). Obtained dismissal of my client from lawsuit and was able to have the IRS pay my legal fees, 2006
- In re Williams No. 17-13118-ta13 Prevailed on state law rights of offset and recoupment rights of a divorced individual who's ex-spouse claimed bankruptcy leaving my client with the responsibility to pay on debt that was the ex-spouse's responsibility pursuant to the MSA. My client filed a Proof of Claim in the ex-spouse's bankruptcy matter. The ex-spouse objected to the Proof of Claim. Judge Thuma ruled that "because the Debtor's objection to Mr. Williams' proof of claim is based on his setoff/recoupment rights, the objection is overruled. ", 2018
- City of Albuquerque v. Sachs, 2004-NMCA-65. Prevailed on important constitutional issue before the New Mexico Court of Appeals, 2004
- Raleigh v. Illinois, 500 U.S. 15 (2000). Represented 31 States before the United States Supreme Court. Obtained Unanimous Decision, 2000
Pro bono/Community Service
- City Councilor, District 9, City of Albuquerque, 2021
- Albuquerque Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Association Of Collaborative Professionals
- National Association Of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- New Mexico Collaborative Practice Group
Last Updated: 5/15/2022