Damian L. Martinez
Top Rated Civil Rights Attorney in Las Cruces, NM
Selected to Rising Stars: 2012
As the managing director and vice president of the Holt Mynatt Martínez P.C. law firm in Las Cruces, New Mexico, attorney Damian L. Martinez provides exceptional representation and support to a diverse range of clients across the state who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Civil rights defense
· Governmental representation
· Commercial law and litigation
· Labor and employment law
· Insurance defense
As a litigator, Mr. Martinez focuses his practice primarily on defending the rights and interests of municipalities and other local government entities regarding constitutional violations and excessive police force claims. A veteran of dozens of jury and bench trials, he has achieved significant success as an attorney, including securing multiple defense verdicts for the City of Las Cruces in cases involving suicide by cop and other wrongful death claims.
Along with maintaining a successful trial practice, he has also handled numerous appeals before various state and federal appellate courts, and he routinely handles complex employment and labor law claims for communities across his area that fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, and the New Mexico Human Rights Act. He also provides invaluable counsel to his clients to help them with their contract issues and other matters, and to help them avoid any potential litigation in the future.
A 1998 graduate of New Mexico Highlands University, Mr. Martinez obtained his Juris Doctor cum laude from St. Mary’s University School of Law in 2001. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico, the District of Colorado and the Western District of Texas as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
A former captain with the U.S. Air Force's Judge Advocate General Corps, Mr. Martinez also holds his admission to practice before the U.S. Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. He has also served as Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Mexico and for the Northern District of Texas, and he currently serves on the board of regents for Northern New Mexico College.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Martinez holds an AV-Preeminent peer-review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell as well as a Top 40 Litigation Lawyers Under 40 designation from the American Society of Legal Advocates. He has also earned recognition from A.M. Best as a Recommended Insurance Attorney, and he has received many other accolades from his peers.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Damian L. Martinez
First Admitted: 2001, New Mexico
Professional Webpage: http://mmslawpc.com/attorneys.html
- Southwest Super Lawyer Rising Star
- The American Society of Legal Advocates Top 40 Litigation Lawyers Under 40
- cum laude
- Phi Delta Phi
- Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Mexico (2001-2004)
- Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas (2004-2005)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas , 2014
- State Bar of New Mexico, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit , 2017
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit , 2007
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado , 2007
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico, 2005
- U.S. Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces , 2002
- St. Mary's University School of Law, cum laude , 2001
- New Mexico Highlands University , 1998
- Obtained full defense verdict on behalf of municipality and individual police officer in 1983 matter where Plaintiff alleged violations of decedent's civil rights when he was shot and killed by officer as decedent advanced on two officers with a four foot samurai sword., 2013
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board of Regents Northern New Mexico College 2015 to 2021, 2015
- Adjunct Professor teaching Business Law , New Mexico State University Adjunct Professor , 2022
Last Updated: 5/15/2022