Mark E. Komer
Top rated Civil Rights attorney in Santa Fe, New MexicoLong, Komer & Associates
Practice Areas: Civil Rights, Civil Litigation, Constitutional Law view more
Licensed in New Mexico since: 1988
Education: University of Virginia School of Law
Long, Komer & Associates1800 Old Pecos Trail
Santa Fe, NM 87505 Phone: 505-982-8405 Email: Mark E. Komer Visit website
I handle high stakes lawsuits involving civil rights, employment law and personal injury. My civil rights cases typically involve disputes about excessive force by police officers, malicious prosecution, deaths and injuries in detention facilities. Most of these lawsuits arise under 42 U.S.C. Section 1983 and involve difficult questions about qualified immunity of governmental officials.
I also represent private and public clients in employment cases under various laws, including Title VII, the New Mexico Human Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act and so forth. These lawsuits involve discrimination due to gender, race and national origin as well as medical and psychological conditions. There are also often claims for retaliation under the New Mexico Whistleblower Act, the First Amendment and similar laws. From time to time, I conduct internal investigations for employers to resolve grievances and internal complaints. For public clients, I routinely handle cases under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act.
My civil rights practice overlaps with handling cases for wrongful death, catastrophic personal injuries, malpractice involving doctors, hospitals and nursing homes. I also represent clients in commercial litigation involving insurance and contractual disputes.
I graduated from the University of Virginia Law School in 1988, and I have practiced law continuously in New Mexico for over 30 years. In 2006, the New Mexico Supreme Court appointed me as Chair of the Rules of Civil Procedure Committee, which drafts and updates the rules applicable to all civil cases in New Mexico District Courts. I had the pleasure of serving on that committee for six years.
For over 20 years, I have been a panelist for the New Mexico Medical Review Commission, which screens most medical malpractice cases in New Mexico before a lawsuit is filed. I am a Senior Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. I served as a barrister in the Oliver Seth Inn of Court for two years. I was also a member of the New Mexico State Bar Task Force and Quality of Life Committee.
I’ve also given presentations to my peers on a range of legal topics including the New Mexico Whistleblower Protection Act, Federal and State Rules of Civil Procedure, electronic discovery, nursing home and long-term care facilities, maintaining a work-life balance in a law practice and law office management.
Practice areasCivil Rights, Civil Litigation: Defense, Constitutional Law, Employment Litigation: Defense, Personal Injury - General: Defense, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense
First Admitted: 1988, New Mexico
Professional Webpage: http://www.longkomer.com/mark-komer.html
- Meritorious paper on the subject of music copyright for jazz musicians, Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition, ASCAP - American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers
- Chair of the Rules of Civil Procedure Committee for the District Courts; appointed by the New Mexico Supreme Court 2006-2008
- Member of the Rules of Civil Procedure Committee for the New Mexico District Courts; appointed by the New Mexico Supreme Court for two three year terms - 2003 to 2008
- New Mexico Medical Review Commission. Served as a commission panelist for over the last 20 years.
- Litigation Counsel of America. Trial lawyers honorary society.
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of New Mexico Quality of Life Committee & Task Force
- B.A. Poltical Science Ithaca College, 1985
- County and Municipal Officers and Employees
- Private Clients
- State Officials and Agencies
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2023