Slate J. Stern
Top rated personal injury attorney in Santa Fe, New MexicoStern Law
Practice Areas: Personal injury, Medical malpractice, Business litigation; view more
Licensed in New Mexico since: 1994
Education: Oklahoma City University School of Law
Languages Spoken: English, Hebrew
Stern Law1701 Old Pecos Trail
Santa Fe, NM 87505 Visit website
At Stern Law, Slate J. Stern represents clients in personal injury and business litigation issues. Mr. Stern has called New Mexico home for three decades. In that time, he has successfully held negligent parties accountable for a client's losses and helped business owners protect and grow their enterprises.
Mr. Stern's practice areas are comprehensive. He has obtained six- and seven-figure awards for people who have suffered incidents that include trucking accidents, brain injuries, medical malpractice and explosions. When it comes to business law, he represents clients in partnership disputes, insurance matters, real estate disputes, business torts, and breaches of contract and fiduciary duty. He has represented clients before both state and federal courts. Mr. Stern is also a seasoned negotiator who helps clients resolve matters without going to litigation.
As a testament to his achievements, Mr. Stern has earned honors that include a lifetime membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum; being listed in America's Top 100 Attorneys; receiving the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell; and being named a Super Lawyer.
Mr. Stern received an undergraduate degree in English from The University of Texas at Austin. He earned a law degree from the Oklahoma City University School of Law and holds a Master of Arts in liberal arts from St. John's College.
Outside of his office, Mr. Stern regularly volunteers for local organizations. He also enjoys extreme outdoor activities. Mr. Stern has competed in the Ironman triathlon, climbed Mount Everest and pulled a sled from Siberia to the North Pole.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Business litigation
Animal bites, Assault, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Dram shop laws, Construction accident, Brain injury, Sexual abuse - plaintiff, Toxic mold, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff, Medical malpractice, Birth injury, Delayed or incorrect diagnosis, Informed consent, Non-compete agreements
- 50% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 30% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 20% Business litigation
First Admitted: 1994, New Mexico
Professional Webpage: https://www.slatestern.com/about-slate
- Guest Lecturer, University of Miami Law School, Mindfulness for Lawyers, 2014
- Pulled sled to North Pole, 2000
- Summit Mt. Everest, 2006
- Various ultra and endurance races around the world - 1986 to Present
- Ironman (2.4. swim, 112 bike, 26.2 run), 1984
- Life Member of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Established in 1993, the Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. There are over 4000 members throughout the country. Fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members, 2015
- Graduate of Trial Lawyer College, Trial Lawyers College is now recognized as the most intensive and longest trial practice training for Plaintiffs' attorneys in the United States, 2011
- New Mexico Bar, 1994
- Assistant Disciplinary Counsel, New Mexico Supreme Court, Disciplinary Committee
- United States District Court - New Mexico, 1994
- State Bar Ethics Committee
- Vice Chair, The New Mexico School for the Arts Foundation
- Assistant Disciplinary Counsel, Disciplinary Board, Supreme Court of New Mexico, 1999 to Present
- Board Member, New Mexico Academy of Mathematics and Science
- Board Member, New Mexico School for the Arts, 2014 to Present
- Ethics Advisory Committee Member, State Bar of New Mexico, 2000 to Present
- Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyer College
- St. John’s College, Master of Arts in Liberal Arts
- University of Texas - Austin, Major: English
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy - Advanced Trial Training
Office location for Slate J. Stern
1701 Old Pecos Trail
Santa Fe, NM 87505
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023