Jonathan D. Cohn
Top Rated DUI-DWI Attorney in Albany, NY
- Free Consultation
- Virtual Appointments
Jonathan D. Cohn is a DWI attorney and partner at the law firm of Gerstenzang, Sills, Cohn & Gerstenzang in Albany, New York. Mr. Cohn has over a decade of legal experience and defends clients throughout the Albany metropolitan area who are facing criminal charges, including DWI.
Understanding that a criminal conviction can have long-lasting damage on his clients’ personal and professional lives, Mr. Cohn provides committed and thorough representation. He strives to protect the rights of his clients, aggressively pursuing outcomes in their best interests.
After graduating with honors from Lafayette College with a bachelor’s degree, Mr. Cohn earned his law degree from Albany Law School. During law school, he belonged to the Albany Government Law Review. He holds a license to practice law before all New York state courts.
Prior to joining Gerstenzang, Sills, Cohn & Gerstenzang, Mr. Cohn clerked for a Schenectady County Court judge. He also worked for the Rensselaer County District Attorney’s Office as an assistant district attorney, prosecuting various criminal matters. His extensive background in criminal law enables him to provide the highest quality of legal services to his criminal defense clients in his current practice.
Mr. Cohn is committed to professional development and education. He is a general member, faculty member and former state delate for the National College for DUI Defense. He is also a certified faculty member through the National Academy of Continuing Legal Education. Over the course of his career, he has spoken for organizations, including the New York State Bar Association and the New York State Defenders Association.
About Jonathan D. Cohn
First Admitted: 2009, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.dwilawny.com/attorneys/attorney-jonathan-d-cohn....
- Bachelor’s Degree from Lafayette College, with honors
- This lecture is focused on assisting attorneys navigate DWAI Drugs cases and effectively represent their clients. At the outset, this presentation will describe the strategies involved in cross-examining the arresting officer along with providing practical examples. With the assistance of a former Drug Recognition Expert, we will then turn from the arresting officer to cross-examining the DRE. We will discuss the DRE protocol and how the DRE is able to determine the appropriate drug category. Finally, we will explore how to uncover and effectively cross-examine the witnesses with any discrepancies which may exist., Speaker, Cross of the arresting officer and the DRE, National Academy of Continuing Legal Education, DWI, Criminal, 2021
- This lecture discussed the overlap between defending DWI cases along with the treatment needs/requirements of clients struggling with addiction issues., Speaker, Legal Issues, Process, Treatment, and the NYS Impaired Driver System, New York State Bar Association -- Webinar, Criminal Attorneys, 2021
- Lecture for the New York State Bar Association, Speaker, Criminal Law Update and Advising Clients Charged with DWI, New York State Bar Association -- Bridging the Gap Program, 2019
- Government and Law Journal, Member, Albany Law School
- This course provided a general overview of the DWI practice and some helpful guidance in cross-examining the police officer. There was also a section toward the end of the PowerPoint on the recent developments in 2020 on bail/discovery, Speaker with Joseph Gerstenzang, Cross Examination | Handling a DWI Case in NYS Review of New Criminal Discovery Legislation, New York State Bar Association -- Bridging the Gap Program, DWI, Criminal, 2020
- This program explained how the old rules of discovery have changed and some of the key developments under the new statute, Speaker, Discovery with a Twist: CPL Article 245 and VTL/DWI Practice, New York State Defenders Association, DWI, Criminal, 2020
- This course provided an overview of the cross-examination of the arresting officer in a DWAI Drugs case. We provided examples of cross-examination through a former police officer, Speaker, DWAI Drugs -- Cross of the Arresting Officer, New York State Bar Association -- Big Apple, DWI, Criminal, 2020
- This course is designed for attorneys who handle DWI cases and are looking for ways to challenge the breath test. We will break down the discovery material provided by the prosecutor in order to use it to your advantage. In addition, we will focus on cross-examining the breath test operator to show potential issues with the chemical test. Finally, this course will provide an overview of defenses used to challenge the test result and when an expert witness may be necessary, Speaker, Challenging the Breath Test: What you must know as a defense attorney, New York State Bar Association -- Webinar, Criminal, DWI, 2020
- This course is designed for attorneys who handle criminal cases and are looking to make sure that they are up-to-date with the newest 2020 bail reform. We will break down the new statute and discuss what is considered a qualifying offense and the different forms of bail. In addition, we will provide practical insight to handling virtual bail applications. Finally, we will argue both sides of a bail application to further illustrate the different parties perspectives, Speaker, The Challenges of Bail Reform and Discovery, New York State Bar Association -- Webinar, Criminal, 2020
- This program focused on the license consequences for people charged with DWI in New York State and the impact that can occur if the person is licensed out-of-state. In addition, the last portion of the program that was presented by Marisa Feil, focused on the impact on traveling to Canada with a criminal conviction, Speaker, Border Consequences of VTL 1192 convictions, New York State Defenders Association, DWI, Criminal, 2020
Last Updated: 5/15/2022