Mary T. Colwell
Top rated family law attorney in Albany, New YorkThe Colwell Law Group, LLC
Mary T. Colwell is an attorney at Colwell Law in Albany, New York. Ms. Colwell concentrates her practice primarily on family law, handling cases involving divorce, custody, support, visitation and other family law matters. In addition, she is experienced with real estate law as well as in criminal defense, traffic and vehicle law.
Ms. Colwell has many years of legal experience and represents clients throughout the Albany, Glens Falls, Rome and Utica metropolitan areas and throughout Duchess, Green, Orange and Ulster counties. She is qualified to practice law before all New York and New Jersey state courts, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey and the Supreme Court of the United States.
In 1998, Ms. Colwell graduated magna cum laude from Drew University in Madison, New Jersey, with a bachelor’s degree in English. She went on to earn her law degree from Albany Law School, where she served on the moot court board.
Following law school, Ms. Colwell worked for the Office of the Monmouth County Prosecutor Appellate Division and practiced at a private New Jersey firm. She later returned to her hometown of Albany and practiced as an associate attorney at another private firm for several years before joining Colwell Law in 2008.
Outside of her law practice, Ms. Colwell stays involved in her legal community through participation in professional organizations. She is a longtime member of the Capital District Women’s Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association.
Practice areasFamily law, Real estate: consumer
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Divorce, Domestic violence, Name change, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Same sex family law, Mortgage & refinance
- 90% Family law
- 10% Real estate: consumer
First Admitted: 2001, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://colwell-law.org/our-team/mary-theresa-colwell/
- Moot Court Board, Albany Law School, Member
- 2010 Honoree at the Capital District Women’s Bar Association Sweet Success program
- The Rights of Non-Custodial Parents in New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2002
- Member of the Italian American Bar Association , 2021
- Vice-President of the Italian-American Law Students Association, Albany Law School
- New York State Bar Association, Member, 2002 – Present
- Capital District Women’s Bar Association, Member, 2007 – Present
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2005
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 2002
- New Jersey, 2001
- New York, 2002
- Drew University, Madison, New Jersey, B.A. in English with magna cum laude, 1998
Office location for Mary T. Colwell
200 Great Oaks Blvd. Suite 224
Albany, NY 12203
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2022