Judith D. Grimaldi
Top Rated Elder Law Attorney in Brooklyn, NY
Judith D. Grimaldi is a partner in the pioneering elder law firm GRIMALDI & YEUNG LLP (now the Grimaldi Yeung Law Group). Ms. Grimaldi’s perspective on the issues facing the elderly and disabled is unique; it was shaped by more than a decade of field experience as a social worker, as Director of Lutheran Medical Center’s Community Care Organization and instructor in Gerontology in Marymount Manhattan College, and as a community relations family coordinator at South Beach Psychiatric Center of Brooklyn and Staten Island, New York. Each of these positions provided her with unique, first-hand encounters with the day-to-day impact of aging and disability.
As an attorney for over 25 years, Ms. Grimaldi has represented the rights of the elderly and disabled. She has special expertise on Medicare and Medicaid, health law, trusts and wills and estates. Her particular focus is on family caregivers and homecare. Ms. Grimaldi is a Certified Elder Law Attorney. She has been named as an Outstanding Woman in Business and Community Leadership by NIA Community Services Network 2017; has been named one of “New York’s Women Leaders in the Law”, by New York Magazine, and after an extensive peer review and rating process, New York Magazine named her one of New York’s “Best Lawyers” since 2008; Ms. Grimaldi has maintained that rating to the present day, also being named to “Super Lawyers” since 2009. She is also Peer Review Rated for ethical standards and legal ability through Martindale-Hubbell.
Ms. Grimaldi is a Past Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s (NYSBA) Elder Law & Special Needs Section (ELSN), and is a member of the House of Delegates. She is a past President of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys’ (NAELA) New York Chapter, and is a member of NAELA’s State Federal Advocacy Committee and member of NAELA’s Council of Advanced Practitioners (CAP). She is a past Chair of the New York City Bar Association’s Legal Problems of the Aging Committee; Charter member of the Academy of Special Needs Planners, and was recently named to a Fellow of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, which is the Academy’s highest distinction. Ms. Grimaldi is also a member of the Brooklyn Bar Association, and is one of their delegates to the NYSBA’s House of Delegates. She is a member of the Bay Ridge Lawyers Association, her “hometown” Bar Association.
Ms. Grimaldi is also active in the Senior Issues Committee of New York City’s Community Board 10, where she is developed a Bay Ridge Age Friendly Improvement District, and has authored a book — “[email protected]”, The 5 Essential Legal Documents You Need by Age 55” – as well as numerous articles in the field of elder care.
Ms. Grimaldi is a graduate of Brooklyn Law School, where she was an adjunct professor. She also holds an MSW from Hunter College of the City of New York and a BA from Marymount Manhattan College with a certificate in Gerontology.
Certificates and Credentials
About Judith D. Grimaldi
First Admitted: 1993, New York
Professional Webpage: https://gylawny.com/our-team/judith-grimaldi/
- Peer Review AV Rated for ethical standards and legal ability, AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Voted Super Lawyer since 2008, Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers
- Voted one of New York Area's "Best Lawyers"--2008 to 2021, Best Lawyer, New York Magazine
- Outstanding Woman in Business and Community Leadership , NIA Community Services Network , 2017
- New York’s Women Leaders in the Law , New York Magazine, 2012
- Named to the National Board of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member of NAELA’s Council of Advanced Practitioners (CAP)
- Member of NAELA’s State Advocacy Committee
- Past President and member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), New York Chapter
- Past Chair of the New York State Bar Association, Elder Law and Special Needs Section, 2018-2019
- Charter member of the Academy of Special Needs Planners
Pro bono/Community Service
- Boardmember of: FRIA (Friends & Relatives of the Institutionalized Aged), Park Slope Geriatric Day Center and member of New York City Community Board #10.
- Holds a monthly Legal Service Help Desk for Bay Ridge Connects, a neighborhood age friendly organization.
- Past Chair of the New York City Bar Association’s Legal Problems of the Aging Committee
- Member of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys' (NAELA) State Advocacy Committee and member of NAELA’s Council of Advanced Practitioners (CAP)
- 1993 graduate of Brooklyn Law School, Ms. Grimaldi also holds a MSW from Hunter College of the City of New York (1982, with honors) and a BA from Marymount College (1980, summa cum laude).
- Written articles on Elder Law issues., New York Newsday
- Appeared on Bill Moyers' PBS program special on end of life choices
- Articles: Author, "Staying at Home Options Other Than Medicaid," New York State Bar Association Advance Elder Law Seminar, Spring 2001; Personal Care Contract Options, January 2008, MOLST: New York State's Medical Orders to Honor the Wishes of Seriously Ill Patient, NYSBA Elder Law Attorney, Spring 2009; "New York State's Power of Attorney Gets a New Look & Better Control", Alzheimer's Association, NYC Chapter, Summer 2009; Overview of Health Care Reform: Impact on Medicare and Medicaid Recipients, NYSBA, Fall, 2010; Legal Capacity Counseling, NAELA Advanced Elder Law Review, January, 2011; Updates on Health Care Reform: Impact on Medicare and Medicaid Recipients, NAELA News, Winter, 2011; The Class Act – Community Living Assistance Services Supports Act—A Long Term Care Option in the Health Care Legislation, NYSBA Newsletter, Spring, 2011.
- Books: Inside the Minds: Best Practices for Long-Term Planning and Nursing Home Protection, Aspatore Publishers, a Thomson Reuters business - Authored chapter: Effective Strategies for Client Long-Term Care, March, 2011.
- [email protected] is a national educational campaign which sets age 55 as the time for advanced health and estate planning. No one likes to think about emergencies resulting from illness, death or disability, but these are issues in our lives. [email protected] gives you a plan to ensure that your wishes will be followed. Our guide addresses the procrastination we face in making these important legal decisions. The true life cautionary tales provide fair warnings and solutions to avoid costly surprises for you and your family., Co-Author, [email protected] 5 Essential Documents You Need by Age 55, 2015
- JD, CELA, CSW
Last Updated: 5/15/2022