Michael J. Stachowski
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Buffalo, New YorkMichael J. Stachowski P.C.
Michael J. Stachowski is an attorney at the law firm Michael J. Stachowski P.C. located in Buffalo, New York. With more than 47 years of experience practicing law, he provides clients in the New York metro with sound and knowledgeable counsel. The types of cases he focuses on include criminal law and family law. He also takes on appeals.
With a Bachelor of Arts degree in English language and literature, Mr. Stachowski graduated from Canisius College. He pursued his legal studies at the University at Buffalo School of Law, earning his Juris Doctor in 1973. Additionally, he received a certificate from The Hague Academy of International Law for his symposium on International Legal Impact on Multi-National Corporations. After law school, he served as a confidential law clerk at the Court System State of New York for a renowned judge. He then became a Town Attorney for the town of Cheektowaga.
Mr. Stachowski has volunteered his time through his memberships in many associations, including being a board member at the Buffalo Columbus Hospital serving the Hispanic community. He also served as an executive board member of the Boy Scouts of America Greater Niagara Frontier Council and is a member Emeritus of the Canisius College’s Board of Regents.
With a genuine concern for his clients, Mr. Stachowski will not back down without fighting aggressively for their rights and liberties at every stage in their case. He formulates creative strategies for each unique case and keeps them up to date so that they can make informed decisions. He understands the impact that family law matters or an accusation of wrongdoing can have on an individual and is a tireless advocate for them.
Mr. Stachowski has received many accolades and recognition for his impeccable work in the legal field. He has an “Excellent” rating on Avvo and is an official member of the Lawyers of Distinction. He has also received a Distinguished* peer-review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Appellate, Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI, Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
Appeals, Criminal Law, DUI/DWI
- 50% Criminal Defense
- 20% Appellate
- 20% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1974, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.stachowskilawnewyork.com/attorney/stachowski-mic...
- Admitted to practice in the United States Court 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, 1974
- Criminal Justice Act 1980 - present is a certification that allows legal professionals to be appointed by the court to represent federal criminal defendants who cannot afford to pay a lawyer, 2020
- Certification of International Law from the World Court at the Hague, Netherlands World court is the dispute between different countries, 1976
- Admitted to practice United States Court Western District, 1974
- https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5914648dadd7b0493427b10c People v. Okangwu, 2009
- People vs. DeMario Robbins Car stop with odor of marijuana. Michael was able to supress the gun that DeMario Robbins had possession of, due to the illegal conduct and credibility of the police officers. Michael caught the police officers in lies and the judge mentioned it in his decisions., 2020
- U.S. vs Wozniak https://casetext.com/case/us-v-wozniak-8 Conspiracy to distribute drugs (meth and cocaine/controlled substances) and lost at jury trial, but won at the 2nd circuit court of appeals and the case was completely dismissed. Following this case and appeal, the court adopted the "core of criminality" and stated that you must be indicted for the drug that you were convicted of possessing rather than the drug you were indicted for., 1997
- People v. Holes Michael changed precedent with this case on appeal for the law with temporary legal possession of a weapon., 2015
- Overturned a murder conviction after only 9 years in practice, under "People versus Harry Lee", 1982
- Personal Injury Verdict of $900,000, $500,000, $250,000 and $200,000, 2015
- Lectured for the Erie County Bar Association Assigned Counsel Program on Criminal Traffic Stops, Search, and Seizure, Lecturer, Car Stops Search and Seizure, Erie County Bar Association Assigned Counsel Panel, 2016
- Presented in New York City at the Association of Town Courts on administrative search warrants, Presenter, Administrative Search Warrants, 2004
- , Top 100 National Trial Lawyers in NY, National Trial Lawyers , 2020
- 2017 - 2020, Distinguished Professionals in Criminal Law, 2020
- , AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale Hubbell, 2020
- For the last 25 years, Michael has been recognized under Who's Who in American Law, Who's Who in American Law, 2020
- In 1996 was admitted to Canisius College Digamma Honor Society, Digamma Honor Society, 2018
- , Nations Most Honored Professionals, 2016
- , Eagle Scout, 1960
- Advancement Chairmen for Boy Scouts of Greater Niagara Frontier, 2020
- Volunteer Lawyers Association for Matrimonial and Bankruptcy, 2015
- For the last 21 years, executive board of Boy Scouts of America Greater Niagara Frontier Council, 2014
- New York Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - 2020, 2020
- United States District Court Western District of NY - 1974- present, 2020
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - 2020, 2020
- United States Court 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals - 1974 - present, 2020
- 1982 - present United States Court Northern District of NY, 2020
- Criminal Justice Act Panel Member for the last 40 years in Western NY, 2020
- Matrimonial Lawyers Committee of Erie County Bar Association 1982 - 2010, 2010
- Ethics Committee of Erie County Bar Association 1977-1982, 1982
- New York State Bar Association 1973 - 2010, 2020
- Erie County Bar Association 1973-2020, 2020
- 1980 - 2020 Practicing as Partner in same location at Michael J. Stachowski, P.C. focused on criminal law, criminal appeals, 440 motions, civil litigation, dwi/dui, and appellate filings., 2020
- 1986 - 2007 Town Prosecutor for Town of Cheektowaga, NY for 22 years, 2007
- 1975-1978 Confidential Law Clerk, 1978
- Undergraduate - Canisius College - English Major, 1970
Office location for Michael J. Stachowski
2025 Clinton St
Buffalo, NY 14206
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023