Top rated employment & labor attorney in Garden City, New YorkPhillips & Associates
Practice Areas: Employment & labor, Employment litigation, Civil rights; view more
Licensed in New York since: 2005
Education: Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
Languages Spoken: English, French, Italian
Phillips & Associates585 Stewart Ave
Garden City, NY 11530 Visit website
Marjorie Mesidor is Partner at Phillips & Associates. She is a Partner at the firm, recognized for her outstanding service to clients who have been subjected to sexual harassment or discrimination based on race, gender, disability, and other protected characteristics. Ms. Mesidor regularly prosecutes employment actions against Fortune 500 companies and smaller organizations accused of discrimination including claims of sexual misconduct. She has had overwhelming success in achieving significant awards and settlements for her clients. Ms. Mesidor rose to notoriety in 2013 when she procured a unanimous jury award in Johnson v. STRIVE, a landmark case decidedly settling the issue of whether those of the same race can discriminate against one another. In addition, her work against the disparate impact of “poor door” policies on rent-stabilized tenants has earned her recognition by the Office of the Public Advocate. Her most recent verdict of $2.31 Million dollars was awarded in Sooroojballie v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in September 2018 for a race and national origin-based hostile work environment claim.
Ms. Mesidor has been a Guest Legal Correspondent appearing on WPIX Morning News, WBLS "Cafe Mocha" and 103.9 Long Island News Radio "On the Docket", Guest Legal Correspondent. Marjorie is one of the National Black Lawyers’ Top 100 Black Lawyers, a “Rising Star” and “Top Woman Attorney” by New York Super Lawyers every year since 2013. As recently 2018, Ms. Mesidor was named CRAIN Magazine’s Top Women Attorneys in New York City. She has been a continuing legal education panelist for the National Bar Association’s (NBA) Labor and Employment Section, the Federal Bar Association (FBA) and NELA NY on various topics in trends in Labor and Employment, trial advocacy, punitive damages and jury awards. She authored an op-ed article published in the online publication, Motto, from the editors of Time® Magazine.
With over 16 years of experience practicing before both state and federal courts, Ms. Mesidor understands the stress and fear that workers experience when their jobs are threatened by a coworker or employer’s inappropriate conduct. She handles complex employment law matters in these areas at all stages of the litigation process, serving as a forceful advocate at the negotiating table, and a formidable opponent in the courtroom.
Ms. Mesidor was admitted to the Connecticut Bar in 2004 and the New York Bar in 2005. She has also been admitted to practice before the federal courts at the United States District Court of the Southern District of New York, the United States District Court of the Eastern District of New York, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. Early in her career, she clerked for the Honorable Torkwasé Y. Sekou in the Superior Court of New Jersey, gaining valuable insight into the inner workings of our judicial system.
Prior to joining Phillips & Associates, Ms. Mesidor handled complex litigation in several practice areas, and served as Chief Counsel to Project Hope, an organization that provides antiviolence and educational workshops and programs services to underserved youth in South Queens. Therefore, in addition to her extensive experience handling discrimination and harassment cases, she possesses a strong background in wage and hour, not-for-profit, and corporate law matters.
Marjorie has received several other awards and distinctions, including an Exceptional Service to the Public and Community Award, Service to the Bar Award, and a Merit Award for Franklin College Switzerland. Early in her career, she was a 2004 Scholarship Recipient from the Suffolk County Women’s Bar Association, and a Minority Fellow of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Dedicated to serving a global New York client base, Ms. Mesidor is fluent in Italian, French, and Haitian Creole. She maintains professional memberships with the National Bar Association, National Employment Lawyers Association in New York of which she is currently President, the New York State Bar Association and Amistad Black Bar Association. Marjorie is a member of the NYU Center for Labor and Employment Advisory Board. She sits on the Ethics Board of the Town of Brookhaven. In addition, Marjorie is on the Suffolk County Sherriff’s Office Community Advisory Board. She is on the Labor and Employment Arbitration Panel for the American Arbitration Association (AAA).
Ms. Mesidor is a proud Life Member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.; a community-conscious action-oriented organization.
Practice areasEmployment & labor: employee, Employment litigation: plaintiff, Civil rights
Employment law - employee, Unions, Wage & hour laws, Whistleblower, Sexual harassment, Labor law, Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, Americans with disabilities act, Race discrimination, Disability, Discrimination
- 60% Employment & labor: employee
- 30% Employment litigation: plaintiff
- 10% Civil rights
First Admitted: 2004, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.newyorkcitydiscriminationlawyer.com/marjorie-m-m...
- Member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated
- Project Hope: The New Direction, Inc., 2002
- City Bar Minority Fellow., Minority Fellow, The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 2002
- The Daily News
- Merit Award for Franklin College Switzerland
- NYU Center for Labor and Employment, Advisor Board Member, 2017
- Rising Star by Super Lawyers, 2013
- Exceptional Service to the Public and Community Award
- Scholarship Recipient from the Suffolk County Women’s Bar Association, 2004
- Women in Law Awards 2018, Women in Law Awards, Lawyer Monthly, 2018
- The New York Post
- Service to the Bar Award
- Best Oral Advocate in Legal Methods II
- Crain's 100 Leading Women Lawyers in NYC, Crain's Magazine, 2018
- Touro Law School, 2004
- Franklin College Switzerland, International Relations, Economics and Italian, 2000
- Marjorie Mesidor, weighs in on the gender inequality. , Guest Legal Correspondent, 2017
- Marjorie Mesidor, weighs in on gender inequality. , Guest Legal Correspondent, 2015
- Sooroojballie v. Port Authority of NY and NJ- $2.31 Million verdict, 2018
- Over $30,000,000 in verdicts, settlement and judgments., 2019
- Johnson v. STRIVE- $280,000, 2013
- National Bar Association, 2019
- Amistad Long Island Black Bar Association, 2018
- New York State Bar Association, Bridge the Gap CLE, Co-Chair, 2007
- United States District Court of the Southern District of New York, 2007
- New York State Bar Association, 2005
- New York State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Secretary, 2005
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals, 2013
- National Employment Lawyers Association in New York, 2019
- National Employment Lawyers' Association of New York , 2011
- New York State Bar Association, Bridge the Gap CLE, Co-Chair, 2006
- Connecticut Bar, 2004, 2004
- United States District Court of the Eastern District of New York, 2007
Office location for Marjorie Mesidor
585 Stewart Ave
Garden City, NY 11530
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2013 - 2018