Lara R. Chwat
Top Rated Tax Attorney in Melville, NY
Attorney Lara R. Chwat is a partner with the law firm of Katz Chwat, P.C., in Melville, New York. A highly rated attorney with nearly 20 years of legal experience, Ms. Chwat has in-depth knowledge of federal and state tax laws, and she focuses her practice primarily on helping her clients with their serious legal challenges involving tax audits and tax collections. She also has extensive experience representing clients with foreign and offshore accounts with their tax-compliance issues.
In addition, Ms. Chwat represents business owners with their commercial transactions and serves as ongoing counsel to help them with their management and operations. She also provides solid and effective estate planning and administration services, and she assists executors and estate representatives in carrying out their fiduciary duties.
In each of these capacities, her extensive knowledge of tax law serves her well as she seeks to reduce her clients' overall tax liabilities. For her commercial clients, she provides invaluable counsel regarding their contracts and other business agreements, integrating effective solutions and strategies to help them reduce and limit any potential tax-related consequences they may face. For her estate planning clients, she also offers exceptional tax preparation services as well as assistance identifying, valuating and distributing their assets.
A 1996 graduate of Sy Syms School of Business at Yeshiva University, Ms. Chwat obtained her Juris Doctor from New York University School of Law in 1999. She also earned her LLM in taxation from New York University School of Law in 2000. She is licensed to practice in New Jersey and Florida as well as in New York, and she is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Tax Court.
Active in her legal community, Ms. Chwat has served as chair of the Nassau County Bar Association's Tax Law Committee since 2015. She is also a member of the Suffolk County Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Long Island Practitioner/IRS Liaison Committee.
Widely regarded as a leader in her field, she conducts lectures and seminars across her region on a variety of legal topics, and she co-authored an article published in the Nassau Lawyer regarding business succession planning.
About Lara R. Chwat
First Admitted: 2000, New York
Professional Webpage: https://katzchwat.com/attorneys/lara-r-chwat-partner/
- Succession Planning for the Solo/Small Law Firm, The Nassau Lawyer, March 2012, with co-author Robert Katz
- New York State Residency and Domicile, Long Island Tax Practitioner Symposium
- Innocent Spouse Rule, New York State Society of CPAs, Nassau County Chapter, Women’s Focus Group
- Innocent Spouse Rule, Nassau County Bar Association
- Sy Syms School of Business, Yeshiva University, B.S., Accounting, 1996
- State Bar of New Jersey
- Long Island Practitioner/IRS Liaison Committee, Member
- Suffolk County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of New York
- United States Tax Court
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Florida
- American Bar Association, Member
- Nassau County Bar Association, Tax Law Committee, Chair, 2015-Present
Last Updated: 6/16/2022