Russell I. Marnell
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Melville, NY
Attorney Russell I. Marnell is the founder and principal of Marnell Law Group, P.C., which has law offices in Melville and Smithtown, New York. Nationally recognized as one of the top attorneys in the country, Mr. Marnell has more than 36 years of legal experience. He provides unmatched representation and support to clients throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties, Long Island and the surrounding areas who are going through a divorce or have some other serious legal issue affecting their families.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Marnell has handled thousands of family law cases, including more than 200 trials. He has achieved considerable success in helping his clients protect their rights and interests and obtain the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve for their issues involving child custody and support, property division and equitable distribution, spousal maintenance and related issues.
Along with being an accomplished attorney, he is also a certified public accountant with an MBA in accounting, which helps him to better address the financial aspects of his clients' divorces and ensure they receive their fair share of the marital estate. A recognized leader in his field, he has appeared on various television and news programs, and he has written extensively on topics related to family law. He also serves as member of the matrimonial committees of both the Nassau and Suffolk County bar associations.
Among his other professional affiliations, Mr. Marnell is a fellow in the Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and active member of the New York Family Law American Inns of Court. He is also a member of the New York State Bar Association, The Florida Bar, The State Bar of California and the State Bar of Nevada.
A 1980 graduate of the State University of New York at Albany, Mr. Marnell obtained his Master of Business Administration from Hofstra University School of Business and his Juris Doctor from Hofstra University School of Law in 1984. In 1985, he passed the certified public accountant examination.
Honored for his impeccable professionalism and high ethical standards, Mr. Marnell is AV Preeminent peer-review rated* through Martindale-Hubbell and has earned consistent top rankings and endorsements from his peers. He has also received Superb, 10 out of 10 client ratings on Avvo as well as many testimonials and referrals from his satisfied clients.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Russell I. Marnell
First Admitted: 1985, New York
Professional Webpage: https://nyfamilydivorcelawyer.com/russell-marnell.html
Pro bono/Community Service
- East Meadow Chamber Of Commerce
- Serving on the Board of Directors, Nassau County Bar Association, 2019
- Named Pro Bono Lawyer of the Month by Nassau County Volunteer Lawyers Project, 2003
- AVVO - 10 rating
- "AV" rated by Martindale-Hubbell**
- Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers, 2007, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.
- Interviewed on WLIU Radio 88.3 FM, March 21, 2005, "Living Wills"
- Interviewed on WALK 97.5 Radio Show, Week of February 14, 2005, "Valentine's Day and Prenuptial Agreements"
- Interviewed on WALK 97.5 Radio Show, October 2004 on Parental Kidnapping
- Interviewed by Long Island Business News, June 2004 column on prenuptial agreements
- Interviewed on WALK 97.5 Radio Show, December 2003, "Examining Relationships for the New Year"
- CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc.
- Interviewed on Nationally Syndicated Business Talk Radio, February 21, 2005, "The Challenges of Home Ownership and Divorce"
- Interviewed on WALK 97.5 Radio Show, Week of January 1, 2005, "New Year's Resolutions and Divorce"
- Interviewed on CBS News Radio 88, October 2004 on Prenuptial Agreements and Home Ownership and Divorce
- Appeared on ABC Eyewitness News, June 13, 2004, "Pre-Nuptial Agreements"
- Guest on News channel 4's Today in New York, June 29, 2000 to discuss the Elian Gonzalez custody case
- Interviewed on News 12 Long Island, June 17, 2010, regarding the New York State's proposed no-fault divorce law
- Interviewed on WLIE Radio, February 14, 2005, "Valentine's Day and Prenuptial Agreements"
- Interviewed on CBS News Radio 88, Week of January 1, 2005, "New Year's Resolutions and Divorce"
- Interviewed on WLIE-Radio, September 28, 2004, "The Challenges of Home Ownership"
- Interviewed on CBS News Radio 88, January 2004, "Examining Relationships for the New Year"
- Appearance on television discussing divorce and custody law, 1994 - 1995
- "Divorce, No-Fault Style", New York Law Journal, March 4, 1991, page 1
- "Do Interim So-ordered Stipulations Survive Signing Of Divorce Judgment?" New York Law Journal, June 24, 2010
- "Incarceration and Civil Contempt In Family Court Matters" New York Law Journal, March 16, 2011
- "Equitable Estoppel Applied by Court to Preclude Biological Father's Parental Rights", The Nassau Lawyer, December 2011
- Nassau Bar Association, February 1995 and Winter 1997, "Divorce Trial Preparation and Trial Procedure"
- "Appreciation of Marital Residence: Separate or Marital Property?", New York Law Journal, October 30, 1990, page 1
- "Issue Arising from Passage of the 'No Fault' Divorce Law", The Nassau Lawyer, May 2011
- Lecturer at National Business Institute, January 28, 1997, "Trying the Soft Tissue Injury Case in New York"
- Lecturer at American Society of Women Accountants, Long Island Chapter, January 9, 1997, "Financial Impact of Divorce on a Business and Its Owners"
- "May Custodial Parents Relocate?", New York Law Journal, June 7, 1990, page 1
- "Heather Still Has Two Mommies", The Nassau Lawyer, September 2010
- Lecturer at Temple Israel, May 14, 1991, "Divorce, Custody & Child Support"
- "Divorce, I.R.S. Style", The Nassau Lawyer, May 1990, page 2
- "Do So-Ordered Stipulations Survive the Signing of a Divorce Agreement?", The New York Law Journal, June 2010
- Lecturer at St. Catherine's Outreach, September 26, 1991, "Divorce, Custody, Child Support"
- Guest Lecturer at the Association of Divorce Financial Planners Meeting, October 18, 2011, regarding financial issues in same-sex marriages
- "Cancelling Child Support Arrears - Will The Recently Decided Case of Carlton v. Heller Start a Trend?", The Nassau Lawyer, June 2010
- Lawrence H.S. Adult Education, November 7, 1991, "Support, Custody and Visitation"
- Pulse Magazine named Russell I. Marnell one of its "Top Legal Eagles" for 2011 in the areas of divorce and family law, February 2011
- "The End of Social Abandonment as a Ground for Divorce?", New York Law Journal, March 22, 2010
- Lawrence H.S. Adult Education, October 17, 1991, "Matrimonial Law"
- Presentation at the National Business Institute Program for divorce professionals, September 24, 2010, on the topic of "Family Law A-Z"
- "The Role of Sexual Orientation in Child Custody Cases", Nassau Lawyer, May 2008
- "The Appointment and Powers of Referees and Judicial Hearing Officers in Matrimonial and Family Court Actions", Nassau Lawyer, March 2007
- Hofstra University Adult Education, Fall 1991, "Custody and Visitation Rights," "Father's Rights in New York State"
- Moderated program at Nassau County Bar Association Academy of Law for the Attorneys/Accounts Committee, March 6, 2010
- "Post Divorce Interspousal Tort and the Doctrine of Res Judicata", Nassau Lawyer, February 2006
- Lecturer at Father's Rights Association, New York City, Fall 1990, "Child Support Standards Act of New York State"
- Speaker at the LI Chapter of the ADFP Meeting, May 14, 2008 on the topic of "Prenuptial Agreements"
- "Divorce Agreements Post Kazel v. Kazel", Nassau Lawyer, March 2005
- "Lifetime Maintenance: Does It Still Exist?" New York Law Journal, February 9, 2015
- Speaker at Seaford High School to students in a Business Law Class, April 11, 2008 on the topic of "Family Law"
- "The Challenges of Home Ownership and Divorce", The Attorney of Nassau County, September 2004
- Speaker at a Seminar - "Successful Financial Settlements for your Divorce Client, April 19, 2007 on the topic of "Retirement and Pension Issues in a Divorce"
- "The Emancipation of Children: Age of Majority Versus 21", Nassau Lawyer, August 2004
- New York Family Law Inns of Court, January 17, 2007 on the topic of "Motions for Recusal and Writs of Mandamus"
- "Preventing Parental Child Abduction", Suffolk Lawyer, April 2004
- Kiwanis of the Bellmores, January 16, 2007 on the topic of "Divorce Issues in New York State"
- "What Constitutes Child Abuse or Neglect?", Nassau Lawyer, April 2004
- National Association of CPA Practitioners, December 1, 2005, "Divorce Tax Planning"
- Huntington Rotary Club, September 8, 2005, "Financial Issues of Divorce"
- "Equitably Distributing Licenses and Degrees in a Divorce", Nassau Lawyer, January 2004
- LI Protestant Singles Meeting, June 12, 2005, "Pre-Nuptial Agreements"
- "Grandparent Visitation Rights in New York", Nassau Lawyer, February 2003
- Guest Lecturer/Instructor at Hofstra University of Law, January 2003. "National Institute for Trial Advocacy" Divorce and Custody Trial Techniques Program
- "Determining Whose Last Name Children Born Out of Wedlock Should Bear", Nassau Lawyer, February 2002
- Lecturer at St. John's University Law School, February 13, 2001 on the topic of valuing a professional license and enhanced earnings capacity
- "Divorce Counterclaims Without a Complaint", Nassau Lawyer, September 2001
- Lecturer at School District 29 Queens, November 7, 2000 on child custody issues
- "Equitable Distribution of a Closely Held Business", Nassau Lawyer, April 2001
- Lecturer at Farmingdale Rotary Club, June 14, 2000 on the topic of general matrimonial law
- "Enforcing State and Federal Child Support Orders", New York Law Journal, April 20, 2000
- Lecturer at Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County, March 2, 2000 on the topic of "Jewish Marriage and Divorce"
- "In Custody Case, Third Department Departs From Prior New York Case Law", New York Law Journal, June 16, 1999
- Lecturer at Plainview Hadassah, November 18, 1999 on the topics of American and Jewish matrimonial law
- "Extending F.C.A. Article 7 PINS Proceedings to Children Aged 16 and 17", Nassau Lawyer, October 1997, pages 7, 13
- Lecturer at the Samuel Field Y, November 17, 1999 on the topic of personal injury law
- "Can You Legally Videotape Your Nanny?", Westchester Families, May, 1997, pages 23, 74
- Guest Speaker at the Nassau County Bar Association Matrimonial Committee, November 10, 1999 on the topic of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act
- "Should the Court of Appeals Have Changed the Law in Custody Relocation Cases?", Family Law Review, New York State Bar Association, Vol. 28, No. 4, December 1996, page 3
- Lecturer at School District 29's Staff Development Day, November 2, 1999 addressing custody issues
- "Authority of Court to Order Party to Pay Fees of Law Guardian", New York Law Journal, August 15, 1996, page 1., col. 1
- Lecturer at the Association of Divorce Financial Planners, April 22, 1999 "Maintenance, Equitable Distribution, and Life Insurance"
- "Should Attorneys Be Provided with Photocopies of Forensic Reports in Custody Disputes?", The Nassau Lawyer, December - January '95-'96, page 1
- "Joint Custody in New York, A Statute Whose Time Has Come?", New York Law Journal, April 26, 1995, page 1
- Lecturer at the Institute for Paralegal Education, April 14, 1999, "The Personal Injury Paralegal in New York."
- "Marital Fault in New York: Its Appropriate Role in Financial Issues", New York Law Journal, June 16, 1994, page, 1, col. 1
- Guest Speaker on the "AFPC Money Show," WLUX Radio, 540-AM, March 20, 1999
- "Modification of Child Support and Maintenance", Family Law Review, Family Law Section, New York State Bar Association, Vol. 24, No. 4, December 1992, page 8
- "Should No-Fault Grounds for Divorce be Enacted in New York?", Nassau Lawyer, September 2005
- Lecturer at National Conference of CPA Practitioners, November 6, 1997, "Financial Impact of Divorce on a Business and Its Owners"
- Treatment of Enhanced Earning Capacity as an Asset Under Equitable Distribution", New York Law Journal, September 17, 1992, page 1, col. 1
- "'Tis the Season....to Divorce?", Long Island Business News, January 28, 2005
- Lecturer at Association of Professional Financial Consultants, June 10, 1997, "Financial Impact of Divorce on a Business and Its Owners"
- "Leading and Impeaching The Hostile or Adverse Witness: Statutes and Case Law In The New York and Federal Courts", New York Law Journal, January 10, 1992, page 1, col. 1
- "The Challenges of Home Ownership and Divorce", The Suffolk Lawyer, October 2004
- Lecturer at Society of Independent Accountants, May 27, 1997, "Financial Impact of Divorce on a Business and Its Owners"
- "Appreciation of Separate Property During the Marriage", Fair Share, May 1991, page 4
- "Enforcing Divorce Agreement: What is the Statute of Limitations?" New York Law Journal, January 10, 2012
- Lecturer at Institute of Certified Financial Planners, May 13, 1997, "Financial Impact of Divorce on a Business and Its Owners"
- New York
- Nassau County Bar President Attorneys/accountants Committee
- Nassau County Bar Association, Board of Directors
- California Bar Association
- Past Member - Board of Directors - Bellmore Chamber of Commerce
- New York State Bar Association Family Law Legislative Sub-Committee
- Crossways Business Association
- Nassau County Bar Child Custody Sub-Committee - Past Chairperson
- Pulse Magazine's Top Legal Eagles
- New York State Bar Family Law Section
- Suffolk County Bar Matrimonial Committee
- Attorney and Accountant Networking Group
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Florida Bar Family Law Section
- Past President - Kiwanis Club of the Bellmores
- Federal District Court
- Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County
- Nassau County Bar Matrimonial Committee
- St. Anthony's Fathers Guild
- Suffolk County Bar Association
- Panel Member at Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County, October 2001
- New York State Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- NY Lawyers Boutique Networking Group
- Nevada Bar Association
- United States Tax Court
- Huntington Lawyers Club
- Nassau County Bar Association
- The Attorney Round Table, Long Island
- Nassau County Bar Speaker Panel
- Panel Member at Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County, October 2001
- New York Family Law American Inn of Court
- Associate Editor, Nassau Lawyer
- Melville Chamber of Commerce
- Part 2 of interview on Close-Up TV news regarding Prenuptial Agreements., www.marnelllaw.com/fla/specialpt2.swf
- Part 5 of interview on Close-Up TV News regarding Prenuptial Agreements., www.marnelllaw.com/fla/specialpt5.swf
- Part 3 of interview on Close-Up TV News regarding Prenuptial Agreements., www.marnelllaw.com/fla/specialpt3.swf
- Part 1 of interview on Close-Up TV news regarding Prenuptial Agreements, www.marnelllaw.com/fla/specialpt1.swf
- Part 4 of interview on Close-Up TV News regarding Prenuptial Agreements., www.marnelllaw.com/fla/specialpt4.swf
- MBA, Accounting, Passed CPA Exam 1985
- Hofstra University School of Business, Hempstead, New York, MBA, Accounting, 1984
- SUNY Albany, New York, B.S. Business, Certified Public Accountant Examination, 1985
- After the holidays, "Divorce Day" looms https://t.co/yXVPZTfqiT. It comes like clockwork, every year. #divorce #NYDivorceLawyer #divorceday
- Credit cards and divorce: What you should know. https://t.co/6YNlV6GV55 #divorce #NYDivorce #divorceandfinances
- Divorce advice from real people who made it through. https://t.co/57sLj6k1Tj #divorce #NYdivorcelawyer #divorcetips
Last Updated: 8/10/2021