Gerald P. Wolf
Top rated Employee Benefits attorney in Mineola, New YorkThe Wolf Law Group, P.C.
Attorney Gerald P. Wolf founded his Mineola law firm, The Wolf Law Group, P.C., in 1999 with the goal of offering both individuals and business clients in New York City and Long Island's Nassau and Suffolk counties and the surrounding areas counsel for a variety of business needs. Among the services he offers are the design and implementation of and compliance issues relating to qualified defined benefit, cash balance, profit sharing , 401(k), 403(b) and 457 plans , 409A compliant nonqualified deferred compensation plans and full service administration of such plans; estate planning and administration; business formations; shareholder agreements and LLC operating agrements; employment contracts ;
Mr. Wolf began his legal career in 1973 after earning his law degree from Fordham University School of Law and receiving his approval to practice law in New York state. In addition to his approval to practice law in all of New York's state courtrooms, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York have also given their approvals for him to practice law in their courtrooms.
With more than 40 years of legal experience to his credit, it is no surprise that Mr. Wolf has a reputation as the first choice of many residents and businesses in New York state that have needs related to ERISA plans, closely held businesses and estate planning. In fact, it is his excellent reputation that has earned him a number of honors, including a "Good" rating from Avvo and an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell.
Attorney Wolf is a valued member of the legal community. He holds membership in a number of organizations, including the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and the Nassau County Bar Association.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEmployee Benefits, Estate Planning & Probate, Closely Held Business
Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Living Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills
- 70% Employee Benefits
- 20% Estate Planning & Probate
- 10% Closely Held Business
First Admitted: 1973
Professional Webpage: http://www.ebwolf.com/about-us/team/
- American Bar Association (Employee Benefits Committee, Tax Section and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section)
- Member, International Network of Boutique Law Firms, New York Chapter ERISA Specialist
- N.Y. State Bar Association (Trusts and Estates Section, former Chairman Life Insurance and Employee Benefits Committee)
- Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Member, Nassau County Bar Association
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (M.S., 1968)
- Brooklyn College of the City University of N.Y. (B.A., cum laude, 1966)
- Five Towns JCC-Couple of the Year Award, 2009, 2009
- Obtained motion to dismiss of plaintiff's cause of action for aditional benefits under our client's 401(k) Plan ; argued succesfully that accrued benefit under a defined contribution plan does not include a plan sponsor's unpaid contribution to the plan. , 2017
- Defeated defendant's motion to dismiss our client's claim for benefits ., 2019
- Lectured on benefits of cash balance pension plans for business owners, Guest Lecturer, Lecturer, Palm Beach Tax Council , 2018
- Presented lecture on the uses of cash balance plans to reduce business owner's taxable income , Guest Lecturer, Estate Planning Council of Nassau County , 2019
- Author, "Title VII-ADEA Connection: Will Norris Impact Age Discrimination Issues," Vol. 3, Legal Notes and Viewpoints Quarterly, Practising Law Institute, 1984
- Presented lecture to members of the CPa Society relating to the uses of qualified plans for closely held businesses, Present Lecture Relating to the Use of Qualifed Plans for Closely held Businesses, Presenter, New York State Society of CPAs, Legal And Accounting, 2019
- Presentation of paper showing the use of a cash balance plan for the purpose of reducing a business owner's taxable income to below the 109A threshold and thereby enable a select service provider to qualify for the 20% qualified business income deduction., Faculty member Presenting Paper on Interaction of Cash Balanc Plans and IRC Setion 109A , Notre Dame Tax and Estate Planning Institute, Legal And Accounting, 2018
- Author, "Top-Heavy Plans: The Planning Possibilities," N.Y.U., 42 Institute on Federal Taxation-Conference on Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, Matthew Bender publisher, 1984
- Co-author, "ERISA and the Bankruptcy Code: Stepping Into Quicksand or Something Else, Post Mackey," 8 Touro Law Review 521, 1992
- Lecturer, American Bar Association
- Lecturer, New York State Bar Association
- Lecturer, N.Y.U. Tax Institute
- Lecturer, Practising Law Institute
- Lecturer, Suffolk County Academy of Law
- Lecturer, Nassau County Trusts & Estates Planning Council
- Assistant Adjunct Professor, Tax Department, Lubin Graduate School of Business, Pace University, 1979-1984
- Faculty Chairman, Non-Qualified Deferred Compensation Plans, Continuing Legal Education, Practising Law Institute, 1983-1989
- Faculty Co-Chairman, Executive Compensation Planning In a New Environment, Practising Law Institute, 1992
- Lecturer, Nassau County Academy of Law
- Lecturer, Nassau County Society of CLU and Nassau County CPA Society
- 15th Annual Law in the Workplace Conference 2002 "Post-Enron ERISA Issues-Legislation, Regulation & Litigation"
- 2004 Long Island Tax Practitioner Symposium "Pensions: Plan Design Post EGTRRA/Correcting Qualification Defects"
- Co-author, "ERISA Section 404(c) and the Unisys Case: Let the Liar Beware," Volume 1, Journal of Pension Investing, A Panel Publication, Aspen Publishers, Inc., Fall 1996
- Adjunct Professor, Pace University
- Martindale Hubbell’s highest “AV” rating, AV Rating, Matindale, 2019
- Five Towns JCC-Couple of the Year Award, , Couple of Year, Gural Five TownJCC, 2009
- See Bar & Professional Activity Below
Office location for Gerald P. Wolf
114 Old Country Road
Mineola, NY 11501-2637
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2008, 2010 - 2017