Top Rated Family Law Attorney in New York, NY
- Virtual Appointments
“Divorce is difficult—but it need not be devastating.”
Hello. I’m Andrea.
I help my clients end their marriages without destroying their families. I get to know my clients, their concerns, and their goals for their future. I then assist them crafting an agreement that will meet those goals.
Divorce doesn't mean having to suffer the emotional and financial turmoil with which it is often associated.
As an attorney in the collaborative divorce process, I am a strong advocate for my client without being adversarial, and without inflaming the strong emotions that can arise during a divorce.
As a mediator in the mediation process, I help both parties—you and your spouse—to hear each other, bridge your differences, and arrive at an agreement that works for both of you.
To determine which path to divorce is right for you, read this or schedule a consultation.
Divorce is more than dividing assets or reconciling balance sheets—it is about you and your future. The decisions you make during the divorce process will affect you and your family for the rest of your life. By being educated on your options, you will be better prepared to make decisions that will allow you to move forward … without regret.
I’d be happy to explain the options available to you, and assist you in selecting the best option for you and your family. I look forward to speaking with you.
I am a mediator and collaborative lawyer and I am a leader and member in many professional organizations that reflect my interest in dispute resolution and family law issues including:
- President of the Board of Directors of the New York Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Associate Director of the National Association of Divorce Professionals
- Member of the New York Women’s Bar Association
- Member of the International Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Member of the Family and Divorce Mediation Counsel of Greater New York
- Member of New York City Bar Association
- Member of the New York State Bar Association
I graduated from SUNY College at Buffalo with a B.A. in Journalism and from Albany Law School of Union University with a J.D. I was admitted to the New York State Bar in 1993 and to the Federal Bar, N.D.N.Y. in 1994. I received a Certificate in Positive Psychology in 2013.
- 50%Family Law
- 50%Alternative Dispute Resolution
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Mediation
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2022
- White Paper on Family Law (2011) - This article will discuss all the modes of ADR in divorce and family law. ADR processes have particular applicability in the field of divorce and family law. As one might guess, non-litigation resolutions are ideally suited for disputes that are so thoroughly interwoven with emotions and deeply personal histories. The ability of the parties to receive professional guidance from a mediator and counsel so that they can agree on their own arrangements—based on the unique story, needs and goals of their own family—is one of several reasons why mediation and collaborative law have received such great and growing acceptance by couples and family lawyers alike.
About Andrea Vacca
First Admitted: 1993, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.vaccalaw.com/team/andrea-vacca/
Co-Presenter “Mediating and Collaborating in the Face of Financial Betrayal,” Divorce Catalyst Conference October, 2015
“Why Would An Attorney Want to Practice Collaborative Law?” CLE sponsored by Lawline, August 2010
“Key Moments in a Collaborative Case, First Contacts with the Client and the Team” CLE sponsored by NYS Office of Court Administration, October 2011
“The Collaborative Road Map In Action: From Understanding to Resolution”, North Jersey Collaborative Law Group, September 2011
“Role of the Collaborative Lawyer,” Presentation sponsored by New York Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, January 2012
“Role of the Lawyer in Mediation,” CLE sponsored by NYS Office of Court Administration, January 2009
“The Keys to a Positive Divorce” presentation sponsored by First Republic Bank and Citrin Cooperman, 2013-2014
“What Financial Professionals Should Know About Prenups, Postnups And Options for Divorce,” Webinar co-presenter to Estate Planning Group of Sagemark Consulting, January 2014
Divorce Doesn’t Have to be Taxing: What Tax Professionals Should Know About Divorce,” workshop co-presenter at Long Island Tax Professionals Symposium, November 2014
“Creating Durable Agreements: Tips and Techniques to Avoid Sloppy Drafting” CE course co-presented to members of the Family and Divorce Mediation Council of Greater New York, January 2015 and May 2015
Co-Presenter, “Mediating Financial and Child-Related Issues”, Members of New York Women’s Bar Association Matrimonial Law Committee, January 2016
- Guest Blogger, What to Look for in a Mediation Attorney, 2013
Co-author, Onward & Upward: Guide for Getting Through New York Divorce and Family Law Issues, January 2015
Co-Presenter, “Mediating and Collaborating in the Face of Financial Betrayal,” Webinar to members of Association of Divorce Financial Planners, October 2015
“Collaborating in the Face of Financial Betrayal,” co-presenter of workshop at Annual Conference of International Association of Collaborative Professionals, October 2017
- “Purposeful Prenups: The Importance of the Team,” co-presenter to members of Estate Planning Council of New York City, July 2018., 2018
- Author, Navigating the Gray Divorce with Dignity, The Huffington Post, 2012
- Author, The Team Approach to Divorce, New York Family Law Monthly, 2013
Super Lawyer, New York Metro Area, 2014 - Present
Pro bono/Community Service
FamilyKind, Advisory Council, 2013-2016
Member, Matrimonial Law Committee, New York City Bar Association
Member, New York City Bar Association, 2001
Member, Family and Divorce Mediation Counsel of Greater New York, 2009
Member, New York State Council on Divorce Mediation, 2015
Assistant Director, New York Midtown Chapter, National Association of Divorce Professionals, 2017 - Present
Vice President, New York Women’s Bar Association, 2015 - 2018
Member, New York Women’s Bar Association, 2001
Board of Directors, New York Women’s Bar Association, 2005 to Present
Member, New York Association of Collaborative Professionals, 2007
Board of Directors, New York Association of Collaborative Professionals, 2009 to Present
President-Elect, New York Association of Collaborative Professionals, 2018 to Present
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 1994
- Member, Association for Conflict Resolution, Greater New York Chapter
- Board of Directors, New York Women's Bar Association, 2014
- Federal Bar, N.D.N.Y., 1994
- Family Law Section of the New York State Bar Association, Member
- Vice President, New York Association of Collaborative Professionals, 2017
- Member, New York State Bar Association, 1993
- New York State Bar , 1993
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, 2007
- Member, Family and Divorce Mediation Council of Greater New York
- Former Co-Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, New York Women's Bar Association
- Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the New York City Bar Association
- SUNY College at Buffalo, B.A. in Journalism, 1987
- Collaborative Practice, 2006
- Positive Psychology, 2013
- Divorce Mediation, 2005
- Mediation Intensive Training Program, 2010
- Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice, 2009
- Family and Divorce Mediator, 2005
Last Updated: 3/28/2022