Andrew C. Melzer
Top rated Employment & Labor attorney in New York, New YorkSanford Heisler Sharp, LLP
Practice Areas: Employment & Labor, Class Action & Mass Torts; view more
Licensed in New York since: 2004
Education: New York University School of Law
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP1350 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019-4702 Visit website
An attorney with over 18 years of legal experience, Andrew C. Melzer serves as a partner at the New York, New York, law firm of Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP. He has been successful in handling employment and labor law issues involving wage and hour claims, employee discrimination, retaliation, qui tam/whistleblower actions, civil rights and other public interest matters. He is the co-chair of the firm’s Wage and Hour Practice Group.
With a determination to work closely with clients and fight for their rights and interests, Mr. Melzer tailors strategies to the particular needs and objectives of each client. He has experience handling all aspects of complex litigation in trial and appellate courts and has secured favorable results, including millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for individual plaintiffs and class members.
Mr. Melzer pursued his Bachelor of Arts in history at Yale University and graduated with distinction in the year 1999. He received a doctorate in law from the New York University School of Law in 2003 and obtained his license to practice law in New York in 2004. He served as a judicial law clerk at the Massachusetts Appeals Court for Chief Justice Christopher Armstrong and esteemed jurist Benjamin Kaplan. He is also qualified to appear before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd and 9th Circuits, and the U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of New York.
As a McCleary Law Fellow at the Human Rights Campaign, Mr. Melzer helped a civil rights organization submit an amicus curiae brief. In addition, he has also drafted briefs and petitions to the California Supreme Court, United States Courts of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. He also has experience serving as a staff attorney at the Claims Resolution Tribunal in Zurich, Switzerland, where he assisted heirs of Holocaust victims with reviving their looted Swiss bank accounts.
In honor of his professionalism and client services, Mr. Melzer was listed in the Lawdragon 500’s Leading Plaintiff Employment and Civil Rights Lawyers list in 2020. He was rated “Superb” through Avvo and named to the list of “Labor & Employment Stars” by Benchmark Litigation.
Practice areasEmployment & Labor: Employee, Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
Class Actions, Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower
- 90% Employment & Labor: Employee
- 10% Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2004, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.sanfordheisler.com/team/andrew-melzer/
- NY Metro Super Lawyer, 2019-2021
- Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star – Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, 2021
- Lawdragon 500 Plaintiff Employment Lawyer, 2020 - 2022
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers NY Metro Rising Star; 2013-2014
- Labor & Employment Star - Northeast, Benchmark Litigation, 2020
- 2019 Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2019
- 2018 Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2018
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- New York, 2004
- Yale University, B.A., 1999
Office location for Andrew C. Melzer
1350 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019-4702
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2013 - 2014