Andrew T. Miltenberg
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in New York, NY
- Free Consultation
Andrew T. Miltenberg is a founding partner of Nesenoff & Miltenberg, LLP, in New York, New York, and a veteran trial law lawyer who focuses his practice in equal parts on complex commercial litigation and civil rights. Mr. Miltenberg is widely regarded as a tireless advocate and his incisive litigation tactics and thorough preparation. He has successfully tried numerous cases in state and federal courts and before arbitration panels.
Mr. Miltenberg's practice includes commercial litigation, arbitration and mediation in the areas of partnership and shareholder disputes, University disciplinary matters, Title IX litigation, real estate disputes, successor liabilityfraudulent conveyance cases, employment disputes, libel, slander, defamation, civil rights, public interest law, Internet law and First Amendment matters. He serves clients in the New York Metro area as well as thoughtout the country. Over the past 8 years, his defense of male students in college disciplinary matters has garnered national recognition and he has been profiled by The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The New York Observer, The Washington Post, New York Magazine, Buzzfeed, The Bergen Record, Huffington Post, The Chicago Tribune, The USA Today and The Daily Beast, and has appeared on Fox News, CBS Sunday Morning, 20/20, NBC News, CNN, ABC News and NPR; he is often sought out to consult on campus disciplinary matters through the country, and Newsweek Magazine dubbed him as the "go-to attorney" for young men facing allegation of sexual misconduct on campus.
Recently, after successfully defending a student facing expulsion, having been charged with sexual misconduct at an Ivy League University, the student wrote to Mr. Miltenberg, "the legacy of the Spartans last stand...is a lesson on the value of courage and higher ideals in the face of great odds. Your own stand against injustice reflects those same ideals. You have my sincere thanks and respect for standing 'shield to shield" with me on this."
Mr. Miltenberg is admitted to practice before New York state courts, and often handles matters thoughout the country on a pro hace vice basis. He is a member of the New York City Bar Association, several committees of the New York County Lawyers' Association and the Women's Bar Association of the State of New York. He is a fellow of the prestigious Litigation Counsel of America, an elite trial lawyer honorary society. In addition, Mr. Miltenberg is an Honorary Colonel of the Alabama State Defense Force, to which he was appointed by Governor Robert Bentley in 2012.
Mr. Miltenberg is a a member of the Board of Directors of FACE (Families Advocating for Campus Equality), the Board of Trustees of The Town Hall NYC, and has provided pro bono services to the Vital Theatre Company, Adoption Crossroads, the Flatiron Alliance and the New York City's Community Board 5. He has also acted as counsel to the Parent Teacher Association for P.S. 89 and as a member of the Board of Tustees for the Menorah Home & Hospital.
About Andrew T. Miltenberg
First Admitted: 1991, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.nmllplaw.com/Attorneys/Andrew-T-Miltenberg.shtml
- Selected to the New York Super Lawyers List, 2006, 2010, 2013-2019
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, 2011
- Honorary Colonel State Militia of Alabama, appointed by Governor Robert Bentley, 2012
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of New York
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary society for trial lawyers
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of New York
- New York, 1991
- Co-Sponsor of Symposium Navigating Due Process and Title IX Issues in Campus Sexual Assault Procedures: Constitutional, Statutory, Contractual, and Tort Considerations., 2014
- Member, New York Women’s Bar Association
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Judicial Screening Committee, Civil Court Practice Section, New York County Lawyers Association
- Member, Supreme Court Committee and Committee on Federal Courts, New York County Lawyers Association
- Emory University, B.A.
Pro bono/Community Service
- FlatIron Alliance
- Vital Theatre Company
- NYC Community Board 5
- Counsel to PTA P.S. 89, 2001
- Member, Board of Trustees FACE (Families Advocating for Campus Equality), 2014
- Member, Board of Trustees, Menorah Home and Hospital, 2002
- Adoption Crossroads
- Member, Board of Trustees of The Town Hall NYC
- Corporate Social Responsibility in China, Speaker, 2003
- Discussion of gender inequality issues, Title IX, sexual assault, due process and college campuses, Featured Speaker, The Intersection Project at Monmouth University, 2019
- When Everything Goes Wrong: Summary of Court Cases Overview of current litigation, recent appellate decisions and specific legal issues impacting Title IX investigations and due process issues in disciplinary, conduct code and honor code violations. , Featured Speaker, ATIXA Annual Conference , University Administrators, 2019
- Sexual Assaults on Campus - Where Civil Rights and Criminal Law Collide, Speaker, New York City Bar Association, 2016
- Civil Liberties on Campus - Sexual Misconduct Procedures, Featured Presenter, Stanford Constitutional Law Center at Stanford Law School, 2016
- Author, Eight Steps in Representing an Accused in College Sexual Misconduct Disciplinary Proceedings, ABA Litigation Journal, 2017
- Featured Speaker, How Not to Get Sued: Lessons Learned and Best Practices Gleaned from Title IX Respondent Litigation, ATIXA (Association of Title IX Administrators, 2017
- Sexual Assault on Campus Panelists talked about sexual assault on campus. Speakers included a Andrew Miltenberg who has defended more than 100 accused students, attorneys representing colleges, and Tina Tchen, who was on an Obama administration task force to protect students from sexual assault. This panel took place at the American Bar Association’s Annual meeting in New York City, ABA Annual Meeting , 2017
- Title IX
Last Updated: 5/15/2022